Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Debreceni VFC Match Thread

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

ntlbell wrote: »
    liverpool fans who were actually in anfield tonight on radio 5 saying it was woeful and that lucas is not good enough?

i see this lucas debate rumbling on and on and on and on and on, i think he will be the most talked about back-up player in england this season :pac:

Boggles wrote: »
    Do you want to discuss the match our call me childish names?

I doubt we will ever discuss football if the truth be told :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Lucas didn't stand out as much for me tonight. Usually he's that desperatly sh!te there's no case for his defence.

Darren Fletcher is turning into a decent player for Man Utd. After the abuse I roared his way in the past I'll reserve judgement on Lucas for another while, if Fletcher can come good anyone can.

deisedevil wrote: »
    Lucas didn't stand out as much for me tonight. Usually he's that desperatly sh!te there's no case for his defence.

Darren Fletcher is turning into a decent player for Man Utd. After the abuse I roared his way in the past I'll reserve judgement on Lucas for another while, if Fletcher can come good anyone can.

I thought he did ok tbh

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I thought he did ok tbh

That's what I meant, usually he stands out as being really poor but he didn't tonight, he was "ok"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Only thing that annoys me is that constant grin on his face. You would like to see Lucas get a bit annoyed when he misses a good chance like he did tonight. But give him a season to prove himself. He is getting a run in the team so Rafa obviously happy with him. And when he lost possession of the ball tonight he trekked back to win ball back. Good sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Only thing that annoys me is that constant grin on his face. You would like to see Lucas get a bit annoyed when he misses a good chance like he did tonight. But give him a season to prove himself. He is getting a run in the team so Rafa obviously happy with him. And when he lost possession of the ball tonight he trekked back to win ball back. Good sign.

I think it's a look of embarrassment as much as anything else. A grin of embarrassment, mixed with a grimace. A grinace.

That's what I meant, usually he stands out as being really poor but he didn't tonight, he was "ok"

In fairness to him, I think he has been one of our best performers this season so far.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    In fairness to him, I think he has been one of our best performers this season so far.

Explains the poor start then.

It's all Lucas's fault

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

No it doesn't, one of the only reasons are start hasn't been worse.
    Carragher being a littlebit cavemanish and murdering skrtel would be more along the lines of why our start has been poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Gerrard definitely had a worse game then Lucas. Loads of misplaced simple passes, loads of pointless over hit super-mega-power passes, and loads of missed oppertunities. Just all round one of his poorer displays. It was one of those games where if he'd even been at his average level we could have had 3 or 4 easily enough.

I'd like to see a bit more passion from Torres as well, has looked a bit flat this year, even when he's been scoring, he just hasn't quite had that fire he usually does where he bustles and fights for everything.

Johnson excellent again, though Skrtel was very good as well tonight, nice to see him carry the ball forward a few times, aggeresque.

mayordenis wrote: »
    No it doesn't, one of the only reasons are start hasn't been worse.
    Carragher being a littlebit cavemanish and murdering skrtel would be more along the lines of why our start has been poor.

Actually, have to agree with you there, was having a discussion only today about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

lucas wasn't even bad tonight.

what's the world coming to.

he slips a couple of times and thus he was terrible?

he kept the ball moving, without being too incisive. he wasn't great, but he didn't let anyone down i didn't think.

gerrard was as mediocre as he was, possibly worse.

nando was atrocious. whether he's unfit or what i don't know, but he needs to get sorted.

kuyt couldn't hold the ball.

riera and benny were the only ones to be half decent.

even johnson was pretty poor apart from a couple of daring bursts.

just a meh night all round really. got the 3 points without looking bothered at all. i'm not saying that's ok, because its not, but that's just how i saw it.

the amount of times our players, instead of shooting or giving a pass would just try to run through. they were pi$$ing about and it was frustrating as hell.

but sure...next game so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Winning is everything. Playing well is a bonus. Job done 3 wins on the bounce, roll on (or over) West Ham. Goodnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Liverpool were pathetic tonight, attacking the panel is not going to change that.

I thought they were quiet lenient from the display I witnessed.

Truely Awful, apart from Johnson.

Liverpool were neither 'pathetic' or 'truly awful' as you claim.

Did you watch the match or are you just taking the RTE panels word for it?

They were far from their best but your comments are ridiculous in the extreme.

Liverpool were neither 'pathetic' or 'truly awful' as you claim.

Did you watch the match or are you just taking the RTE panels word for it?

They were far from their best but your comments are ridiculous as expected.

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Nice to see Babel getting stuck in tonight, and what a performance from Benni, he's on FIRE at the moment.

Overall it was a scrappy game not great to watch but at this stage most of the games are. What is the story with Ronnie Whelan, FFS he's never happy! Him and Eamonn Dunphy actually Dunphy wasnt even that bad tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

SlickRic wrote: »
    nando was atrocious. whether he's unfit or what i don't know, but he needs to get sorted.

I can't believe more like this hasn't been said. How the fudge can people have watched the game and picked out Lucas for not performing when Fernando Torres was on the pitch, he was shocking, never really a threat and should have set up Kuyt for a second but seemed to slip when putting in the square ball. Stevie G was also poor enough but at least he looked a threat when the ball broke to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Liverpool were pathetic tonight, attacking the panel is not going to change that.

Truely Awful, apart from Johnson.

you didn't watch the game then?

1) we were pretty pathetic, granted. we were more just really lethargic though. we could still have won by 2 or 3 easily.

2) and johnson wasn't great. he made 3 bad defensive errors trying to do too much in his own third of the field; and apart from a couple of impressive darts forward he did very little.

benny and riera were easily our best players for me - particularly benny - the only ones who looked at the races.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

lucas as probably our best player tonight:confused:give him a chance! his game is to tackle and get the ball and pass....he does his job good! since last season hes improved and i hope he keeps improving:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I was watching it in work but couldn't hear the commentary. Who got MOTM, surely it should have been Lucas. Yet again he performed better than Gerrard but will still get slated. If it was Lucas who missed that sitter and then laughed about it, then all the muppets on here would be giving out about him but because its Gerrard, its ok.

Originally Posted by Boggles View Post

Truely Awful, apart from Johnson.[/b]

A win is a win, the performance wont be remembered in a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I'm usually very critical of the team when I think its deserved, but I thought individually they all played decent. I would have given pretty much everyone 7 out of 10, but nobody (bar maybe Johnson) deserved an 8.

We did not use the ball well enough when we got in and around the box though, so was disappointed with the teamwork in that regard. Too many shots from distance when a pass to Torres was the better option. The service to Torres was thus poor, but still he managed to create the winning goal with about the only kick he got!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Thought Lucas was excellent last night. MOTM for me. Delighted with his progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Melion wrote: »
    Who got MOTM, surely it should have been Lucas. Yet again he performed better than Gerrard but will still get slated.

In fairness to Gerrard he was playing out of position.
    A win is a win, the performance wont be remembered in a month.

3 points is indeed vital in the first game of the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The way I saw it lastnight was the Debreen are an extremely organised side. They will give Lyon and La Viola a tough time too. In the last 20 minutes of the 1st half Liverpool upped it a gear and deservedley scored. Came out for the 2nd half and strolled around knowing that if they had to, they could up it again. As a previous poster said, a win is a win and a performance is a bonus. This match was a potential banana skin.
    As for the RTE panel... well Ronnie is a muppet really. Harping on again about zonal marking, missing Alonso, and not being able to beat "small teams" like Hull or Stoke, but then contradicting himself by going on to say they did well in beating the small teams this year, Burnley, Stoke & Bolton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Playing out of position (in a position he has played in in the past for the best part of 7 years) isn't really an excuse for the missed passes he was making

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

With the kind of attacking game Liverpool play now, i.e. fast one-touch football, when things 'click' it can be devestating, but when they don't or a few players are off-form, it can look pretty shambolic, with loads of missed passes and runs to nowhere. I think we had about 20% from column A and 80% from column B last night. Hopefully they'll be more focused when the bigger matches come along.

• Advertisement

He could be playing at centre half and should still be able to play simple passes. He was horrendous last night and it was topped off with the sitter he missed after shouting for Kuyt to leave it to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

is there such as thing for him?? gerrard played in the same position he did for 6 years prior to rafas arrival, gerrard playing out of position is not an excuse i buy, he has won player of the year at right wing, young player of the year at centre midfield, amazing at right back against ac milan when called to play that position

melion is right, the game passed him by too much like it does when he plays for england, the only one worse than gerrard last night was torres, terrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

He could be playing at centre half and should still be able to play simple passes. He was horrendous last night and it was topped off with the sitter he missed after shouting for Kuyt to leave it to him.

Jaysus christ, its this kind of tabloid sensationalist bollix that drives me up the wall. Horrendous???, he is allowed (or should be from time to time) to have a game where he is slightly below his 'world beating' self. The effort that just went wide could have been missed by anybody, kuyt pulled out of it at the last second.

If gerrards volley in the second half is 6 inches lower, its as good a goal as any of us is likely to see. So what if he missed a few passes, gerrard is on the pitch to make things happen, we have enough players who pass it sideways and 10 yards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

daithijjj wrote: »
    Jaysus christ, its this kind of tabloid sensationalist bollix that drives me up the wall. Horrendous???, he is allowed (or should be from time to time) to have a game where he is slightly below his 'world beating' self. The effort that just went wide could have been missed by anybody, kuyt pulled out of it at the last second.

If gerrards volley in the second half is 6 inches lower, its as good a goal as any of us is likely to see. So what if he missed a few passes, gerrard is on the pitch to make things happen, we have enough players who pass it sideways and 10 yards.
    Yes Gerrard unlucky not to score last night. But overall not his best game. But only a matter of time before himself and Torres click again. Assuming we have time!

Advertisement