Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe Bike Park in City

Options
  • 16-09-2009 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

If you were to cycle into Limerick and needed to leave the bike for hour or so while doing a few errands, where would it be safe to leave it? Do there any of the car parks which have safe bike racks. anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

oh well wrote: »
    If you were to cycle into Limerick and needed to leave the bike for hour or so while doing a few errands, where would it be safe to leave it? Do there any of the car parks which have safe bike racks. anyone know?

I'd leave it at home to be honest if I could.

Failing that the safest place I could think of leaving it is maybe outside Henry Street Garda Station with about 5 locks and a doberman chained to it. Bicycles are very easy targets for opportunist thieves these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

thats a bit exrteme,lock it in a well lit busy area,id think outside the garda station would be fine.But of course i get cut down for making realistic commenys about scum in this town but id never tell anyone not to cycle in the day time

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

thats a bit exrteme,lock it in a well lit busy area,id think outside the garda station would be fine.But of course i get cut down for making realistic commenys about scum in this town but id never tell anyone not to cycle in the day time

Bikes get stolen all the time in every city, they are soft targets for opportunist thieves. Lets try not to turn this into another Limerick scumbag thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

In the daylight you should be ok op use common sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Best practise would be to lock it to a metal pole with a good quality, expensive U-lock, locking one of the wheels (front one preferably) and the frame to the metal pole. Two locks (one on the front wheel and frame, another on the back wheel and frame) should do the job. Another good tip is not to cycle a brand new, top of the range, bike but a second hand one. Thieves are less likely to make the effort then. Always lock it somewhere public like a busy street where lots of people are passing by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

anyone remember when you could cycle in to town and lock the bike outside of roches stores???? and you could be sure it would be still there when you get back.

I remember cycling to the regional cause my ankle was very sore, they put a cast on it (now sore was actually broken!!!) so I had to leave the bike locked up to a bus stop sign outside the hospital, while i got the bus home!!! the bike was there 3 days later not a scratch on it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

??? People cycle into the city everyday? Ha... ye guys are pyscho's - reading this board is making me realise that some people have a really odd sense of Limerick City. Most crime in Limerick takes place in the suburbs and even then our crime rate is much lower than most other Irish cities. Plus with the constant Garda presense in the city there are very few instances of criminal activity taking place in the busier areas in daylight.

There are bike parking rails on Bedford Row, its central and while i wouldnt leave it there over night for fear a drunk student would piss on it or something - I would (and have) locked it there during the day... lots of people do, dont even think twice about it!

Advertisement