Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allergies/Asthma

Options
  • 16-09-2009 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭

One of my girls has what I believe it allergies (as I do), but potentially asthma.

She has seen all the docs, they put her on a baby inhaler, which seems to help but definately not a solution, it still effects her.

When we were in Spain, it hardly bothered her at all, and since we came back, she is worse than ever. It seems more like hayfever with running nose and sore eyes, but when in bed at night, she gets coughing and usually wakes up completed blocked up.

So what is it? Hayfever and dust allergy? I don't believe it is asthma, running around doesn't set her off. But I think the inhaler works because whatever allergy she has affects her breathing.

Kids...who'd have em, eh? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭picorette

Could be worth getting her tested. Our daughter has pretty similar symptoms to yours ( can hear her coughing now), and is bad since we put the central heating on, after we returned from the dryness & heat of Spain.

She is diagnosed with dust, grass & nut allergy. Carpets potentially carry a great amount of dust mite, and it might be worth taking them up, replacing them, esp. in her bedroom. However, in the first instance, get an allergy test through a referral from your GP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

It's a really trick one . . My 4 year old is in exactly the same spot and I have discussed at length with my GP . . I have lots of allergies (dust, pollens, animals etc. . . ) but I can now control it really well with a combination of avoidance, steroids and antihistamines. . My daughter also has allergies but because she cannot take the same treatments and she also cannot clear her nose, the drip goes onto her throat and chest and manifests itself as a cough . . She shows the symptoms of asthma and is treated with the usual inhalers etc which do help . .

Drawing a distinction between asthma and allergies in a young child is very difficult as it is almost entirely based on lung function tests that kids just cannot do . . In the end, you just treat it as Atopic Asthma (asthma that is brought about by allergic reaction) using the same meds etc which do work until you reach a point where the child is old enough (6/7) to do the tests and properly diagnose asthma (or not).

I agree with others who recommend allergy testing . . This can really help to identify the allergens causing the problem that you can then look to remove or reduce.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Thanks pic, jordan - we got an antihistamine from the GP which certainly makes a difference, so think we'll have to go for the allergy testing. The pain is that she is worst at night, but her mattress and pillow have protectors and regularly change the covers, and we have wooden floors. So not sure exactly what sets her off at night - has to be dust as I see it, we have no pets.

Anyway, cheers...

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

As a long term asthma sufferer myself I'm a little bemused if asthma was getting worse at night without any irritants in the room.

I'd speculate as you've said she has a runny nose that it is probably Post Nasal Drip (not nice but basicly nose running down throat into lungs) as that can get worse when lying down. My failsafe sleeping position when wheezing or chesty is to be propped up quite comfortably with the help of 3 pillows. As by being elevated the symptoms should alleviate

Put two pillows like this and touching at one end / \ and then rest the other one on top.

A little carvol or olbas oil on the pillow may help her to decongest a bit before she falls asleep.

HTH.

Advertisement