Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fairy Cakes

Options
  • 16-09-2009 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Simple as they may sound what are we doing wrong.We have tried many ways to make them but they always seem to end up heavy and not the light yummy buns my mum used to make. So question is how do you guys make them all help would be great the kids would be delighted as im sure would the big kid in our hous be thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 susannn10

I got this recipe from the "full and plenty" book my grandmother gave my mother which i in turn now have.
    Small cakes- basic mixture
    Ingredients:
    5ozs margarine, 9ozs castor sugar, 7ozs flour, 2 1/2ozs cornflour, 1tsp baking powder, 2 eggs, 4tbsps milk, 1tsp vanilla.

Method:
    Warm the sugar in the mixing bowl, beat up the margarine with the sugar. Try beating the mixture with your hand instead of with a spoon- it will be much lighter. Add the vanilla to the beaten eggs then add them to the sugar mixture a little at a time. Sieve the flour and baking powder into mixture. Add the milk a little at a time alternately with the flour. When mixed put into prepared bun trays/cases. Bake at 375f or 180c for 18-20 mins.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You need to get a lot of air into the mixture. Mix by hand, and bring the spoon up out of the bowl as you're doing it to get more air in.

Advertisement