Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hi galway people, dub needs advice

Options
  • 16-09-2009 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

hi, i've been toying with the idea of a fast food place... it's kinda gourmet fast food...

would love to set up in temple bar, but rents are so high.

i've been to galway a few years back, and it's pretty buzzing...

can someone recomend a street, or area that would be the temple bar of galway? where most tourists would be and where the nightlife is busiest.

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

The tourists would be in around quay street, having said that, dominick street would be what I would consider to be the "temple bar" equivalent. Galway could definitely do with a gormet fast food place. God, I yearn for a decent falafel or a good veggie burger at 4am. You can't even get chip butties in Galway, they haven't heard of them. Can any Galwegians shed some light on this or am I just going to the wrong places?

DafunkDaDub

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

aren't chip butties just chips in a roll?

In which case, buy some chips, buy a roll, voilà!

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭bacon?

dafunk wrote: »
    The tourists would be in around quay street, having said that, dominick street would be what I would consider to be the "temple bar" equivalent. Galway could definitely do with a gormet fast food place. God, I yearn for a decent falafel or a good veggie burger at 4am. You can't even get chip butties in Galway, they haven't heard of them. Can any Galwegians shed some light on this or am I just going to the wrong places?

DafunkDaDub

good to hear DafunkDaDub.... haven't been to galway in a while... do you think a decent gourment fast food place would do well? is the place busy enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

We've had a number of 'gourmet' fast food places in the past, I don't know why they closed, but there's one or two still on the go. Quay Street area aka the 'Latin Quarter' would be where to locate. Dominick street is full of broke hippies.

http://www.galwayindependent.com/local-news/local-news/ole-%11-galway-gets-its-own-latin-quarter/

dafunk wrote: »

DafunkDaDub

I got vinnies to make me a chip buttie once when I was seriously craving one. Used quarter pounder buns and had chips & mayo in it. He asked me how much he should charge and I told him about 1.50, so that's what he charged me.

It was yummers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Cross st or Quay st would be the best bets probably.

And I think with the right menu at the right price it could do very well indeed:)

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

Galway needs a real Kabab place, where they give you the meat , veg and sauce's in a toasted bread type thingy?? you can get them in every other country, and im sure you can probably get them around Ireland too - but not Galway :(

Wasnt there a Gourmet fast food place beside the front door, its been a while since I was down that way - but they used to sell deep fried mars bars

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Galway needs a real Kabab place, where they give you the meat , veg and sauce's in a toasted bread type thingy?? you can get them in every other country, and im sure you can probably get them around Ireland too - but not Galway :(

Wasnt there a Gourmet fast food place beside the front door, its been a while since I was down that way - but they used to sell deep fried mars bars
    :s isnt that every kebab house in galway that gives it to you like that?

edit: thats kettle of fish your thinking of, everything is batterd pretty much

The Kettle of Fish, it's still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Xiney wrote: »
    aren't chip butties just chips in a roll?
    Oooooohh, well that's not rude at all.

Kettle of fish is down in the "latin quarter" so maybe going to Dominic street would be a better idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Owldshtok

The charcoal grill on cross st. is run by Turkish people and has kebabs that are as authentic as any I've tasted abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

There are a number of "gourmet fast food" outlets in Galway at the moment, dotted around the town. One of which is "Kettle of Fish". Does pretty good as far as I know. Kind of a hit and miss area.
    I believe there was one on shop street not so long ago called GB burger [Gourmet Burger], which specialized in this area. Must not have done very well because it didnt last very long! Spent a year or two in the centre of Galway on shop street and closed down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Is the Crepé place at the end of Shop Street stil going?

One thing to note OP, on a Saturday morning you would be effectivly competing with the Galway Market down at St Nicohlas's. Also there are rumours of KFC coming into town.

Having said that, best of luck!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

There's a huge market for junk food in town and to be honest it doesn't even need to be Gourmet once it's tasty. The queues outside chippers and kebab houses in Galway is as bad as some of the nightclubs lol.

So explain gourmet fast food please ? Is that like the same as junk food only more expensive and smaller portions ?

What this town needs is a NANDOS mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

I get the impression that a gourmet fast food place would do healthy-ish alternatives to the usual deep fried stuff. It's hard to say whether it would be successful. Personally I'd love a place like that but I can't speak for the masses.

Yes, chip buttie is just a chip sandwich but the roll and sauce need to be good for it to be a worthwhile chip buttie in my opinion. Must be a Dublin thing.

There's a huge market for junk food in town and to be honest it doesn't even need to be Gourmet once it's tasty. The queues outside chippers and kebab houses in Galway is as bad as some of the nightclubs lol.

So explain gourmet fast food please ? Is that like the same as junk food only more expensive and smaller portions ?

What this town needs is a NANDOS mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

can't really go into it... not that expensive, would cost about the same as a kebab... less than a crep.... a bit more than a quater pounder from a chipper... but much better quality...

personally, if i'm eating fast food i'll go for a crep... at least you can see what's being put in the thing, and it's as healthy or unhealthy as you want... they're pretty expenive.... i pay 7.50 for a crep in lemon... but i'd rather be eating that than pay 4.99 for a 5hitty burger and chips...

there's a market for both...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

7.50 for a crepe in Lemon ? Are you insane ?

i get extra spinnach :D

that's dublin for you.

i can get a similar one in half moon in temple bar for 6.80

not as nice.... but ye, it is a rip off... but i'd rather pay it than eat other crap....

7.50 for a crepe in Lemon ? Are you insane ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

crepes.. by this you mean pancakes.. 7.50.. for flour water egg and filling.. must cost 20/30c max thats not going to sell!!
    wish you luck though
    and second the NANDOS!! scrap kfc.. nandos is the one!!

crepes.. by this you mean pancakes.. 7.50.. for flour water egg and filling.. must cost 20/30c max thats not going to sell!!
    wish you luck though
    and second the NANDOS!! scrap kfc.. nandos is the one!!

kfc is worse than mackers... horrible stuff.

nando's is grand...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,490 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

bacon? wrote: »
    can't really go into it... not that expensive, would cost about the same as a kebab... less than a crep.... a bit more than a quater pounder from a chipper... but much better quality...

personally, if i'm eating fast food i'll go for a crep... at least you can see what's being put in the thing, and it's as healthy or unhealthy as you want... they're pretty expenive.... i pay 7.50 for a crep in lemon... but i'd rather be eating that than pay 4.99 for a 5hitty burger and chips...

there's a market for both...

7.50 for a crepe?

I don't think many would pay that tbh.

I personnally don't think many are prepared to pay too much for fast food in these tough economic times. We aleady have La Salsa(excellent btw), eddie rob your pockets and a few others.

OP, I'd do plenty of research before considering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

just checked Nandos...
    there is 1... nandos in ireland.. 1 in dundrum..

now there is a opportunity!!! get on too Robby Enthoven he brought Nandos to the uk. nandos in galway would make monster money ( and a ikea on the west coast)

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

Owldshtok wrote: »
    The charcoal grill on cross st. is run by Turkish people and has kebabs that are as authentic as any I've tasted abroad

No they dont do them the way I described.I have mentioned it to him a few times (in a drunken state) but the guy said to me jokingly "we dont do them like that here, because Galway people dont know about it"
    It takes more time, and as far as know the kebab house doent make them that way either.

So thats what we need a proper kebab place - that makes kebabs like this

Doner%20Layout-Lamb-Small.gif Nom Nom Nom :D

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Im guessing none of ye have been to Mr Waffle on Middle Street yet?

Unbelievable! You can get an entire full irish in a crepe for about €7.50... With a side of Ballymaloe relish They have other fillings aswell, same as a sandwich bar only with pankcakes/crepes.

I agree 7.50 is a lot for a crepe, but depends what you get as a filling. I must say Mr. Waffle is top notch for quality. They pack the food in, its not junk, and will keep you going for the entire day. At the end of the day, you're more than likely going to pay more for a regular ham and cheese sambo in any regular boring sandwich place.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

rarnes1 wrote: »

OP, I'd do plenty of research before considering.

+1 to that. You might be surprised re the rent levels charged too.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭spartan1

abbygate street or anywhere on mainguard street, orrrrr middle st , loads of places, you just have to put it where pple convergeand the main trail of pple is from quay st area to cross st for cabs and from abbygate st to cross st or eyre sq for cabs

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Owldshtok

No they dont do them the way I described.I have mentioned it to him a few times (in a drunken state) but the guy said to me jokingly "we dont do them like that here, because Galway people dont know about it"
    It takes more time, and as far as know the kebab house doent make them that way either.

So thats what we need a proper kebab place - that makes kebabs like this

Doner%20Layout-Lamb-Small.gif Nom Nom Nom :D

Ok,I know what you mean and you are right.If they introduced the ones like in the pic it would be something new for here.It's a bit silly that they modify the kebabs to what the locals are used to and give the same as abrakebabra when they can easily offer a more original alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

For a town it's size, property is expensive, second only to Dublin. At one time the rents in the Eyre Sq. shopping centre were more per sq ft. than St. Stevens Green. Maybe they still are??

So I wouldn't get too idealistic. Yes the town has a terrific buzz, but my goodness, they can make you pay. Good job there's lots of free things to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Jimmy Bennett

fend wrote: »
    I believe there was one on shop street not so long ago called GB burger [Gourmet Burger], which specialized in this area. Must not have done very well because it didnt last very long! Spent a year or two in the centre of Galway on shop street and closed down.

Maybe people refused to eat in a place called gourmet burger burger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

If you can better these lads in Dublin, you'll have me as a regular customer for sure.

I've never been in one of their actual takeaways, but their van in Dalymount Park and Tolka are second to none. Many's the time they were the only thing to brighten up my evening after a heavy loss... :D

Advertisement