Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to make with smoked salmon

Options
  • 16-09-2009 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

I have smoked salmon slices in my fridge, and want to use them up. I don't like the texture of the "raw" smoked salmon and every recipe i look up uses it raw. :(
    Has anyone any recipes that might help me use it up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Scrambled eggs is the first thing I think of - when the eggs are almost cooked, put in thin strips of the salmon and it will cook as the eggs are finishing off. Omelettes would be another similar way. Alternatively include it in a toasted cheese sandwich (cheddar might be a bit too strong) - the grill will cook the salmon as the cheese is melting.

Another option is to put it into a cream sauce to go on pasta - again, make the sauce and just throw the salmon in for the last minute or two before serving.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

+1 on the scrambled eggs.

And a variation on the cream sauce for pasta is to cook the pasta as usual, then at the end throw in a handful of drained and washed capers, a good bunch of chopped flat leafed parsley, a tub of creme fraise, and a raw egg yolk. The latter isn't essential if you're a bit funny about it but it helps the sauce take on a silky texture and helps it cling to the pasta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Gets some Avacados involved....

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cathal01

Make a dip....

Smoked salmon, cream cheese/creme fraiche, lemon juice, chives, salt + pepper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Fry off some finely chopped onion and garlic.
    Make a white-wine and cream based sauce around this (with a bit of saffron in there too, if you have it). Splash of lemon won't go stray here either.
    Cook up a serving of tagliatelle.
    Just before serving, add the salmon (cut into thin strips) to the sauce.

If you need more fish for the dish (i.e. serving more people), get some unsmoked salmon, and add it (also in strips) a minute or two earlier.

Mix pasta and sauce, plate up, then grate parmesan cheese over.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Dreams aloud

Well a recipe i always use is to place the smoked salmon slices in the end of a gratin dish (or any fairly flat dish).

Cut up some potatoes into round slices & boil them for around four minutes or until you can pierce them with the top of a knife (don't boil them too much or they'll fall apart!)

Then place the potato slices on top of the salmon, pour cream over the potatoes & salmon & then top with parmesan cheese.

Bake in the oven for around 20-30 mins (around 170 degrees) or until the potato slices are soft & cheese is golden.

This is a delicious recipe & lovely with some green veg. Don't worry about measurements as how many potaotes you'll need depends on how much salmon you have, likewise with the cream, depends on the size of the dish etc, so just use as much as you think. It can't go wrong so definately a foolproof recipe which is perfect for me! Hope this idea helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

This might sound a little silly cause it's not a recipe :D

When I make smoked salmon and brown bread sometimes I pop it under the grill for a bit.
    The salmon changes texture and colour and it's much more like cooked salmon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I love a smoked Salmon wrap for lunch..

All you need is your wrap
    Philadelphia cheese
    Rocket Leaves
    Cherry tomatoes

And it is nyom!!

Advertisement