Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bubble Graph

Options
  • 16-09-2009 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

We would like to put up a chart on our website showing details of our expenditure, and using a bubble chart (just 'cos it's a little more interesting than a pie chart!)

We have instructions on how to make them in Excel - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA011170761033.aspx -

but it's a bit boring looking.

Does anyone know of any other programmes for making graphs - especially free ones?!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Can't you just change the default settings in Excel to sex it up a bit?
    Hide the axes, and add text labels etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Funkytown

Illustrator has graph generating options

But its far from free!

There is the 30 day free trial.
    You can also just copy paste teh excel graph directly into Illustrator and edit it from there.
    The graphing tools in Illustrator are a bit clunky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Office 2007 has much nicer styles for graphs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

5uspect wrote: »
    But its far from free!

There is the 30 day free trial.
    You can also just copy paste teh excel graph directly into Illustrator and edit it from there.
    The graphing tools in Illustrator are a bit clunky.

What??? Why on earth would you paste a crap excel graph into illy?

Illy can create beautiful graphs, 3d, shapes, colours, gradients, transparency's - the list goes on. Anytime I want to create decent charts / graphs, particularly for presentations, I fire up illy.

• Advertisement

Sure, but the spreadsheet tool in Illustrator is a clunky piece of poo.
    You simply can't do complex plots with it.
    The final results are great, yes, I'm not denying that.
    There's nothing crap about copying an excel plot for a beauty session.

Anyway I do all my plotting in Matlab!

Well you may as well just do the whole thing in Illy than do it in excel!

But yes, for complex plots, obviously dedicated software is a must - especially for an engineer :)

Well I am an Engineer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Hank_Scorpio

If you like the results of Microsoft graphs but want the sharpness of illustrator and the finish that gives,

Make a PDF of the graph (you can use CutePDF or a free pdf generator) and then open the PDF up in Illustrator.

You can use Illustrator to tidy up and choose colours etc.

If you like the results of Microsoft graphs but want the sharpness of illustrator and the finish that gives,

Make a PDF of the graph (you can use CutePDF or a free pdf generator) and then open the PDF up in Illustrator.

You can use Illustrator to tidy up and choose colours etc.

I'd still rather do the whole graph in Illy. You can generate pretty much any type of graph in Illy that you can in MS Office. But you don't have to export / import PDF, its fully editable, and you're not duplicating work.

Just IMO.

• Advertisement

You don't even need to go to the hassle of exporting a PDF. Just copy the graphic directly from excel and paste it directly into a document in Illustrator.

I do like the ability to go back and edit data in Illustrator. It's something important you lose when you just use an excel graph.

5uspect wrote: »
    You don't even need to go to the hassle of exporting a PDF. Just copy the graphic directly from excel and paste it directly into a document in Illustrator.

I do like the ability to go back and edit data in Illustrator. It's something important you lose when you just use an excel graph.

Not even the data, the entire graphic is editable properly if done in Illy from the get-go, which is the bit I like :)

Couldn't care less about what figures people are trying to manipulate others by, once they look nice :D

Advertisement