Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

adapatations

Options
  • 16-09-2009 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi

I have just read a book about a period in the life of an historical figure that I think would make a great movie.

If I was to turn this into a screenplay who would I need to gain permission from?
    The family of the historical figures involved or the author or publisher of the material that inspired the screenplay?

Since the book isn't a piece of fiction would I need permission from the author or publisher at all?
    It's not like I would be adapting the book, I would be carrying out my own research to flesh the story out into a movie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I dont think you need anyones permission..

Write it and if you can sell it then they will look into the whole legal side of it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭an_other

That's what I was thinking.
    I often wondered about screenplays based on true stories, history etc if the relations of the people involved could stop the movie being made

Advertisement