Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephanies Cafe, formerly????

Options
  • 16-09-2009 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

You know the cafe on Camden St. Stephanies to be exact, what was that called before?

Any use now? It was mega before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

not 100% but it was pizza joint for a while, pinheads pizza? (that could be the one opposite though)

haven't been into it since

• Registered Users Posts: 20 iain-not-ian

Na, Pinheads is the one opposite

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Supposely lovely, never ate in it but never heard bad reviews, me nor my dad can think of the name of it but if it comes back to either of us I'll let you know.

On the topic of pinheads, pizzas in there are supposely gone to the dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

wonder if it has anything to do with stephanies cafe at leonards corner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭byrner88

wonder if it has anything to do with stephanies cafe at leonards corner

thats what im thinking because pinheads pizza is opposite that and i cant think of a pinheads pizza on camden street

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

You know the cafe on Camden St. Stephanies to be exact, what was that called before?

Any use now? It was mega before.

I live on Camden st, and don't know where this Cafe is?

Are you sure it's Camden??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭byrner88

im pretty sure the OP is on about leonards corner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Definately Leonard's Corner, Stephanies is opposite Pinheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Ate there in the old days but can't remember the bloody name, even asked my mate who now lives in Australia but she's stumped too. It was BYOB

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Boardom

I think it was Bernie's cosy corner or something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bizzy d

Stephanies cafe was formely called Mango's cafe, just across the road from Pinheads, the food is ok but not as nice as the previous owners!
    hope that helps:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Dolores Hayes

Anyone know when it became a cafe originally? Thinking of renting it myself to do a little restaurant if I can... If it has been a food business for 30 years or so, then that reduces the headache considerably...

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

jdivision wrote: »
    Ate there in the old days but can't remember the bloody name, even asked my mate who now lives in Australia but she's stumped too. It was BYOB

Me too, back in the 80's it was a great little place, wonder do I know you ( especially considering your username ).

Bunch of us from the area used to go there a lot.

It was Pinheads for a while, then they moved across the road.

tempura wrote: »

Me too, back in the 80's it was a great little place, wonder do I know you ( especially considering your username ).

Bunch of us from the area used to go there a lot.

It was Pinheads for a while, then they moved across the road.

So if it was a cafe (or any kind of food premises) as far back as the 80's that's great news.

Thanks Tempura

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭melmoth77

I seem to remember (either Stephanie's or Pinheads) being called Hippie Chip as well in late 80's/ early 90's?

melmoth77 wrote: »
    I seem to remember (either Stephanie's or Pinheads) being called Hippie Chip as well in late 80's/ early 90's?

Great. I'll let the new landlords (aka NAMA) know that. Thanks!

Hey I've been trying to find out more about it... Looks like Mango Cafe opened in 1996, and before that was T-Rex Cafe (owned by the same guy who now owns Simon's Place on George's St) and before that it was Pinheads Pizza. That's as far as I have gotten... I think it's safe to assume that it was open pre-1990 if Mango opened in 1996 and there were at least 2 businesses there before..?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Was there two Stephanie's ? I remember one at Leonard's Corner/SCR, which is closed as well for a year or so

No thats the one I mean, the one on Leonard's Corner...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

No thats the one I mean, the one on Leonard's Corner...

Should have read the first page as well :(

• Advertisement

Ha ha no problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭litup

Anyone know when it became a cafe originally? Thinking of renting it myself to do a little restaurant if I can... If it has been a food business for 30 years or so, then that reduces the headache considerably...

Best of luck with it. I live around the corner and would love somewhere new doing good food locally!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

litup wrote: »
    Best of luck with it. I live around the corner and would love somewhere new doing good food locally!

Have you never tried Bibis? Or even Noshingtons? The food in Noshingtons is nice but Bibis is amazing!

litup wrote: »

Thanks so much! It's all a question of whether I can afford it or not... They are looking for the tenant to take on all the renovations. Yay.
    Any advice if I go for it? Anything in particular you feel is lacking in the area?

cosmic wrote: »

Have you never tried Bibis? Or even Noshingtons? The food in Noshingtons is nice but Bibis is amazing!
    Completely agree. Was in Bibi's yesterday. I love that place.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I never even heard of Bibi's and I'm just around the corner from it, I'll have to check it out this weekend.

cosmic wrote: »

The coffee and cakes are nice in Bibi's, but to be honest I don't think the food is great. And the staff aren't the friendliest bunch either!

Any advice if I go for it? Anything in particular you feel is lacking in the area?

I was talking to a neighbour recently after seeing that the former Nona Valentina premises is getting renovated and we were saying a relaxed, afforable dinner place would be nice, along the lines of The Canal Bank.

We are spoiled rotten with cafes, brunch places and ethnic restaurants as it is, but another option is always nice!

I agree. There are loads of lovely cafes around the area. Bibi's, Noshington, Fumbally, Lennox, Nelly's... None of which are open in the evenings. I'm wondering why?

Is it because there isn't the business? I know that Lennox and Bibis' - at least originally - didn't manage to get planning permission to open in the evenings, probably due to being too residential.

I'm hoping that if I do take over the Stephanie's Cafe location that I will do lunch AND dinner (and maybe weekend brunch too). It will most certainly be an affordable place. A relaxed, book or drop-in, New Yorky kinda vibe. At least, that's what I myself would like to see there if I were the punter. I live on Cork Street, so I know what we don't have.

Does anyone think I'm on the right track?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

That sounds good to me anyway. It'd be nice to have somewhere diner-ish to pop in for a quick but decent dinner when I don't feel like cooking something, but that isn't a full book-a-table restaurant either. At the moment there's only really take-aways, some of them do have sit in, but sometimes you just don't want take-away style food.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement