Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'd be better off on the dole

Options
  • 16-09-2009 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

...its a sentence we've all heard, but after some thought its true for me...

My hours have been reduced, and reduced so much that I now only make e150 (which becomes e120 after petrol/parking) so I'm leaving the house five days a week and taking home e120 or to divide to down e24 per day.

While my hours are only 16 unfortunately they ARE spread over 5 days, so I can't take the 3 days week > social welfare topup route. My employer is in a trust industry and wouldn't pretend I work only 3 like some others would.

I'm ready to leave, what should I do? comments/opinions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

you may be financially better off on the dole... but there are things to consider,
    the length of time you would have to wait to recieve your dole payment (could take 3-4 months)
    The dole is going to take a hit in the budget
    At least you are in a working environment at the moment, is there any way you could progress in your job, rather than remaining a subordinate... any chance of a higher role?
    The dole may be a few quid more per week, but it could make you lose your incentive to want to progress.... At least you have a job to go to, and the option of going on the dole if you decide to leave, there are those of us that have neither

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Ouchette

Can you swap shifts or talk to your boss about getting your shifts moved so that you are only working on 3 days a week?

If not, at least that leaves you plenty of time to look for a new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Most companies and unions have agreed to a min working day of 4 hrs. If you are working 15 hrs over 5 days that sounds wrong. You'd only be in and your home.

I know a few people in the same boat, yes it would be much better if your were workin 2 and a half days but to get the SW sup. payment you have to have had a reduction in hours. If you have always worked part time it is very hard to get the payment even if they put you on 2 day a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭GER12

What are your circumstances - do you have a family cos if you do - you could be entitled to Family Income Supplement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

At least when things start to improve you won't be one of hundreds of thousands looking for a job.
    If you hold on to the one you've got, they can just increase your hours and will have to admire your loyalty to the company.

Hold out for a while and wait and see if there's any change.
    Maybe they can find funds in the budget to supplement your parking or something?
    It won't hurt to ask.

Also, would it be possible to stay on an extra hour or two each day and work in an apprentice position for one of the head guys in the company?
    That way they're getting some free work, you're getting more experience and you'll be first in line if there's movement within the company.
    It's only really an option if you've no other commitments that have you rushing home though.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

If you have stamps ( insurance) from a previous employment and are a resident of Ireland you would be entitled to €200 a week on the dole for a period of 12 months.
    If under 25 this was reduced to €100 per week at the last budget.
    The waiting period would be a problem if you do not have enough ready cash to survive for the 4 months involved.
    It seems daft that you have to travel 5 days a week to do 15 hours work but this is a huge bearing on you wage level.
    After all you are competing with people, under 25 with no entitlement to Dole at that level of wages. If you boss can get a local person with little or no travel expenses that is what he will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I still think 16hrs over 5 days is crap.

It's bad enough being on 20 hrs over 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

doolox wrote: »
    If you have stamps ( insurance) from a previous employment and are a resident of Ireland you would be entitled to €200 a week on the dole for a period of 12 months.
    If under 25 this was reduced to €100 per week at the last budget.
    The waiting period would be a problem if you do not have enough ready cash to survive for the 4 months involved.
    It seems daft that you have to travel 5 days a week to do 15 hours work but this is a huge bearing on you wage level.
    After all you are competing with people, under 25 with no entitlement to Dole at that level of wages. If you boss can get a local person with little or no travel expenses that is what he will do.

It's €100/week if you're under 20, not 25.

I sympathise with you OP, I wouldn't be bothered working 5 days a week for a measly €150. Keep in mind though, if you quit your job you'll have to wait up to 9 weeks before you can apply for jobseekers allowance/benefit. And then there is the 3/4 month (or longer!) wait for you to get processed and get money. You can go to the CWO in the mean time but keep all this in mind.

Also, if you would be applying for Jobseekers allowance, remember that it is means tested, so, depending on your situation, you could actually get less than you are on now. Look into it.

Advertisement