Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

omar's last scene

• 16-09-2009 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭

did anyone noticein season 5 in omars last scene were he was shot, he walked into the store to get ciggarettes and he was not limping? a very quick recovery from his jump from the window in an earlier episode........

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

Oh indeed
    Although it does show him limping past when he is seen by kernard before he robs the standfield stash house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Don't remember it myself. Even The Wire makes mistakes sometimes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭KevinH

Whatever about a continuity mistake like that, Omar's death scene was the WORST scene in all 5 seasons.
    He should have gone out in a blaze of glory!

What were they thinking?

Season 5 on the whole was so far behind the other 4 it's hard to believe the same people wrote it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

KevinH wrote: »
    Whatever about a continuity mistake like that, Omar's death scene was the WORST scene in all 5 seasons.

What were they thinking?

That's just not The Wire though. He was just some scumbag who was part of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I think that he didn't go out in a blaze of glory was the point. They built him up to be Superman and then showed he was the same as everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭KevinH

silvine wrote: »
    I think that he didn't go out in a blaze of glory was the point. They built him up to be Superman and then showed he was the same as everyone else.
    Yes I'm sure that was their thinking when writing it ...... it would have been tolerable if maybe a stanfield soldier had spotted him going into a shop and just killed him ......

BUT having a bloody kid do it was just too over the top.
    Just like the serial killer storyline was too over the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭lightning_saa

i dont care, made me rofl to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 mattysullivan

I was just like: Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit (String).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

What were they thinking?

Season 5 on the whole was so far behind the other 4 it's hard to believe the same people wrote it.

But thats what people were expecting, a big shootout with Marlo or whoever, and The Wire doesnt do conformity:) I still think Omars best scene is when he cautiously goes out in his pyjamas with no gun (was sure he was going to get capped then) and comes back with cereal and a stash:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yes I'm sure that was their thinking when writing it ...... it would have been tolerable if maybe a stanfield soldier had spotted him going into a shop and just killed him ......

But the kid that killed him was the one who Bunk saw imitating Omar in Season 3. Omar was a victim of his own reputation. To me, even though I thought it sucked at first, made the most sense from a writing point of view. Plus, I think the gun was also the same one Omar hid earlier, possibly in Season 4. Omar became a victim of his own actions and in retrospect, it was the only way he could have gone out, because its the one thing that hurt him most, as shown when Bunk talks about the kids imitating him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Actually no,it would not have been tolerable had a stanfield soldier spotted him and gone into the shop to kill him. Because Omar would not let that happen. If you notice,when he is in the shop the bell on the door rings as Kenard enters,Omar looks,sees a little kid and doesn't see any danger. That was his downfall. That is the only way he could die in a situation like that. Had he seen some man walk in he would have had his Deagle cocked and ready in a split second.

The point is that any other show could have had some massive showdown with marlo but that was never the Wire,things don't always happen like they do in your typical tv show where there is some big showdown between good guy and bad guy etc.

More importantly Omar's death was used to show how little the street/the corner means to the "outside world".On the streets he was a famous and feared man,everyone knew Omar's name. Yet his death doesn't even make the newspaper,a hosue fire gets in ahead of him. In the morgue,the name tag on his body is mixed up,he is just another body in "the war on drugs".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Omar was shot by a kid? no way man, I heard it was like 50 guys from DC with AKs, man they just busted in and blazed away!, Omar took about half of 'em before he finally fell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

also after kenard sees him limping he's the only one of the kids playing in the alley who doesnt run away from him when he walks.. he had seen him as a superman but when he saw him limping he realised he was human after all, thats probably what made him think he could kill him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Before watching season 5 someone spoiled Omars death for me, asked me "have I seen the episode where Omar finnally gets killed?" ... I wanted to kill them myself! But even knowing Omar was going to die I was still genuinely shocked when it happened, Kudos to The Wire tbh cause even knowing it was bound to happen I was completely shocked when it did, mainly because I was expecting maybe Chris or Snoop to be involved. The way it went down suited the tone of the show perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

I thought it was done very well. Wasn't expecting it at all. Was really getting into all omars talk about being in the street and how Marlo wasn't man enough.

And then to go out that way was such a mindphuck.

Thats the wire though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭lukin

The way Omar was killed showed what a great show The Wire is. In any other series Omar would have wiped out the Stanfield crew and lived happily ever after by the seaside.

Advertisement