Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I found a cat, what do I do now?

Options
  • 16-09-2009 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

I went to the vets around the area and neither of them had someone come in looking for a cat. I posted his picture up in afew different places on the internet(including here) but what do I do now? I don't know if I can look after him, I already have a cat and if they don't get along my cat is a bit smaller and has three legs so wouldn't fair well in a fight.

One of the vets mentioned that he could currently be owned by someone but I would be unwilling to give him back if that's the case because, he's teeth are rotting, he might have worms, he's filthy and has a few scabs in my view if he currently has owners they are not looking after him.

I've fed him and he wolfed it down, right now he's curled up under my bed purring, I would be tempted to keep him but I don't think I can.

At the moment my cat is in the vets (getting her tooth out:() she'll be back at 4, I have to look after her first. I'd love to keep him but today my cat has cost me €120 so I can't take on another.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭tormented

Well done for getting him checked out and giving him a feed, if I were you I would try the rescue centres in your area, the DSPCA are worth calling, they can give you some information about getting him rescued and how to go about it. I wish people would put their phone no etc on the pets collar especially cats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mar9

Hi Orla,

I know it's probably a bit of a stupid suggestion, but can you think of anybody you know who might be interested in taking on the cat? Maybe if you asked a few friends or family members, you might find that someone would like to give him a home?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I was talking to the rescue places put there's a virus going around with them so they can't take in any new cats and some of the ones they do have have to be taken out of the place and 'fostered' (mainly by the workers). So it turns out I'll have him for a few days. I don't know anyone that would take him and I'd keep him myself but my cat has been hissing at him. He is lovely, just needs the vet a clean and a groom.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Orla, your cat will hiss at any new cat up front. The important thing at the moment is to keep the visiting cat in a restricted area and reassure your own moggy that she is top cat, number one puss and the business as far as you're concerned. Otherwise her nose will be very out of joint indeed. Give her attention first, him second. Give her run of the place, keep him restricted. Feed her first, him second.

No matter what approach you take - rehoming him, surrendering him, fostering him with a view to rehoming him - you need to behave from the outset as though he's yours and you're going to keep him, which means closely managing his interactions with your own cat from the outset. That involves what I've described - your cat is allowed to hiss at him, reject him and be mean to him, because it's HER HOUSE, and he's an interloper. If you intervene and tell her off for her perfectly natura reaction, she will be extremely confused because you're disturbing the natural pecking order.

If you don't take that approach, then it limits your own options from here. If your cat won't adjust to him, you won't be able to foster him, or keep him much more than another 48 hours, because you'll start to make her very upset. If she does adjust - which she will if you reinforce her standing as top cat, though it can take some weeks - you may be able to mind him a bit longer so he has a fighting chance of a good home.

Orla, your cat will hiss at any new cat up front. The important thing at the moment is to keep the visiting cat in a restricted area and reassure your own moggy that she is top cat, number one puss and the business as far as you're concerned. Otherwise her nose will be very out of joint indeed. Give her attention first, him second. Give her run of the place, keep him restricted. Feed her first, him second.

No matter what approach you take - rehoming him, surrendering him, fostering him with a view to rehoming him - you need to behave from the outset as though he's yours and you're going to keep him, which means closely managing his interactions with your own cat from the outset. That involves what I've described - your cat is allowed to hiss at him, reject him and be mean to him, because it's HER HOUSE, and he's an interloper. If you intervene and tell her off for her perfectly natura reaction, she will be extremely confused because you're disturbing the natural pecking order.

If you don't take that approach, then it limits your own options from here. If your cat won't adjust to him, you won't be able to foster him, or keep him much more than another 48 hours, because you'll start to make her very upset. If she does adjust - which she will if you reinforce her standing as top cat, though it can take some weeks - you may be able to mind him a bit longer so he has a fighting chance of a good home.

Trust me, my cat is queen around here. There's a wild cat that comes to the window and somtimes inside, she never hisses at him but it might also be that he's smaller this other cat is much bigger. For most of the time he stays locked in the bathroom. I'm going to let him out but I don't want him going near my cat (he didn't have a full health check)

Also I have decided to contact the local papers, I'm going to get a good pic of him and maybe his teeth as well. If I don't find his owners, maybe people will be kind enough to give money to the vets so he can get treatment. He'll stand a better chance of getting a home if he has better health. Hopefully it will work and he'll be better. Also someone might see him and take him in.

• Advertisement

I wish I wouldn't get ideas at 2 in the morning, I can never sleep when my mind is working through things but I have sent the email, I'm going to go into the vets tomorrow and see will they do the treatment if I raise some money (they'll get advertising so I don't see why they wouldn't). I'll also have to figure out how to get money off people, send it to the vets? set up an account where I'm the only one who can withdraw the money?

I'm too tired and worrying about a cat that I've had for less than a day:rolleyes:.

Goodnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Where about are you based Orla as a matter of interest?

South kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 april99

Orla,
    just wondering how it's going with ur stray cat? I hope ur own cat is getting on ok now. I think ur great to do all the things ur doing for him, wish there were more people out there like yourself! Best of luck,

April .

• Advertisement

april99 wrote: »
    Orla,
    just wondering how it's going with ur stray cat? I hope ur own cat is getting on ok now. I think ur great to do all the things ur doing for him, wish there were more people out there like yourself! Best of luck,

April .

Thanks, that makes me feel better about it. I was doubting myself (cost of vet care for him etc) but I'm going to hold onto him for a bit longer.

I sprayed him with frontline today to get the lice off him (there were loads!) and in a few days I'll do him for ear mites and worm (got one for the back of the neck so I won't be struggling with him much). He also got his first injection (which oddly he didn't mind that much)

He was cuddling up to me for a bit today and he was so cute. jkx113.jpg

I still don't know how I'm going to get him neutered and the dental.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adventure Pout

Hi Orla,

Really I have to give a thumb up for what you are doing for that gorgeous cat.
    I was just wondering if you can try to talk to your vet to do the dental treatment and neutering the cat at a lower cost than usual. Maybe he will agreee, you never know. Considering you pay him already a good amount for your other kitty.
    Otherwise, am sure lots of people here will be willing to give you a few quids, including myself to pay for neutering the kitty + dental treatment. Just let us know what the outcome with the vet, and if you have set up an account for kitty...
    PS: I love tux cats!!! but can't take him...

Hi Orla,

Really I have to give a thumb up for what you are doing for that gorgeous cat.
    I was just wondering if you can try to talk to your vet to do the dental treatment and neutering the cat at a lower cost than usual. Maybe he will agreee, you never know. Considering you pay him already a good amount for your other kitty.
    Otherwise, am sure lots of people here will be willing to give you a few quids, including myself to pay for neutering the kitty + dental treatment. Just let us know what the outcome with the vet, and if you have set up an account for kitty...
    PS: I love tux cats!!! but can't take him...

Thanks, your post just made me smile (it will be going into that tread in TLL :D)

I'm bringing my own in on Monday for a post op check and I'll have a talk to them about it. I tried ringing the Kildare SPCA put no answer. I don't know if they do this thing with cats but they do it with dogs that people with medical cards can get their pets neutered cheaper.

I did ask the local papers to do something but in the town there's about 10 different things happening this week. The never even replied.

I might get a money box and ask the vet to leave it on the counter. Even if I just got a bit that would be great.

Also I named him Mustachio (sp?). Whenever I said it he would meow, but he was meowing at nearly everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Whilst I agree with what you're doing - taking care of a cat and doing your best I'm afraid I need to lock this.
    We've closed threads on others looking for funding before and it's not fair to have one rule for some and another rule for others.
    Also you might want to put a warning with your picture in your sig, I know it's just of the cats' tooth but at first glance people might get a shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

I also agree with Star-Pants - I have had a reported post about the "fundraising" & the disturbing picture in your signature. The signature I am afraid will be actioned & changed by an admin if you do not change it yourself - & you will run the risk of having your whole signature removed.

Please do not look for donations in this forum as this is against the rules.

Good luck with the cat.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement