Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike stolen, need suggestions for new bike?

• 16-09-2009 1:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

My Marauder 125 was stolen last week, I'm still pretty pissed off about it as was stolen from outside my house while locked but It looks like I'm not getting it back so I have started looking around at getting a new bike.
    The gaurds were about as helpful as a glass hammer but I suppose they get repors every day and cant do much about it.

I like Cruser 4 stroke engined bikes so I'm looking along those lines. I have considered the Varago 125/250 and the Intruder or a nice restricted shadow, is there any suggestions of other models I should look at and where else to look other than on Bukebuyers guide. As there is not a great selection of the type of bike I'm looking for at the moment. I will have a test in the next while too so I have to factor this into my choice too.

Cheers in advance for any helpful comments!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

How about a Hornet 250?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I'd definitely get something bigger than 125cc. Then you can do the test on it.
    Where was it stolen from? And was it locked? What time was it stolen at?
    Tigger wrote: »
    They're learner legal too. There's also a 400 which is basically the same. If the OP is interested in a cruiser, can't go far wrong than them

Quint wrote: »

They're learner legal too. There's also a 400 which is basically the same. If the OP is interested in a cruiser, can't go far wrong than them

yup learner legal and a decent wedge of tourque (which you need to cruise)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Never liked cruisers meself but each to their own ;)

• Advertisement

any bike is a good bike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

dragstar 650 me good man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

My bike was stolen from outside my House in Rathdown Square Stoneybatter in Dublin 7, I travel abroad alot for work so it was locked outside the door with a front wheel lock and a rear chain. No immobiliser I'm afraid... The main gate to the complex was broken for the week so it was between wednesday (the last day my house mate can remember seeing it) and friday when I came home and thought where the hell is my bike... Had a chat with a few bikers who live in the area and they told me where to look if it was nicked and burned out so I spent Saturday trolling around D7 but no Joy:mad:

So now I must move on... The Virago 535 looks really sweet, and a drive shaft instead of chain would be class too. Cant believe they are learner legal...Will have to be on the look out for a nice one.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Sorry to hear that, will your insurance cover it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

...some flippin 'house mate' :mad:

Would you consider a '05 Honda CBF 250?
    Taxed till May 2010, Black, Givi Top box & rack, one [mature] owner, just services, new battery, less than 8k - used as a second bike

• Advertisement

No the insurance wont cover it as I had suspended the policy as I was in Abu-Dhabi for 4 months for work and wanted to extend the policy so no cash. I though that it would be safe as the house is secluded in the back of the estate and there are normally locked gates into the complex and it was double locked. I might be getting some cash off the land lady as Cars and bikes are supposed to be safe as per the terms of my lease but I wont push her too hard. But I'll see, it was a lovely bike but didnt cost me too much when I bought it so I'll get over it. I just hope who ever stole it has a life full of Small inconvieniences, thinks thats the best punishment I could wish for...
    The CBF is a nice bike but I have my heart set on a more powerful cruser, I love the ride position and dont feel as safe in the sportier higher off the ground bikes. Plus I'm building toward my ambition to own a V-MAx in a couple of years.

Cheers for all the helpful comments;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

i have a really nice 05 dragstar 125. only has 3500 miles, oh suits you sir. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭gipi

(links to Virago XV535)

Hate to tell you but the Virago 535 is not learner legal.

It has 44 BHP (32.1kW) and a power to weight ratio of 0.2418

Learner legal (for A licence) has to be 33BHP (25KW) and/or (I'm not getting into the either/or argument!!) power to weight of 0.16 or less.

seanybiker wrote: »
    dragstar 650 me good man.

I second this nomination. Great bikes and can be got relatively cheaply.

gipi wrote: »

Learner legal (for A licence) has to be 33BHP (25KW) and/or (I'm not getting into the either/or argument!!) power to weight of 0.16 or less.

Will have to look at the 250 option so... Or something else. Would want to go higher than a 125 this time though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭gipi

You could always buy a larger cc bike and have it restricted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

gipi wrote: »

I actually meant the 400 virago. That's the one I had. If that's above the maximum power, I broke the law!

Advertisement