Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i5 build under €900

Options
  • 16-09-2009 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭

Just got the go ahead to get a new PC at work (:)) and am going to do it DIY. Budget is about 900 - the lower the better naturally. This will NOT be used for gaming but probably a fair bit of Photoshop. The components must be ordered from CCL or Komplett. What do people think of this build (if I can get the pic to work):
    CCL.jpg

Want to go as fast and quiet as possible (doesn't everyone?). Won't be OC'ing the system. Particularly wondering if the CPU cooler will fit in the case (or if it's even necessary) and if the PSU is up to the job (really want a modular PSU after my only other (home) build!). Also, is the HD4870 maybe overkill if I'm not gaming (not sure how much they help Photoshop)? Anyone have any experience with this monitor (would take a smaller monitor if there was a significant picture quality improvement). Ideally would like to shave a bit more off the price so I don't feel guilty about including a SSD! Will likely poke out a keyboard and mouse round here.

Thanks for your help!

edit: actually that monitor is only a VGA so will have to go...

edit2: if anyone can get me an i7 build in budget I'll be very happy!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Your build is... fuzzy :D And I'm pretty sure Adobe CS4 does not need a HD4870 to run! :P

No gaming graphics card = big reduction in system power usage = smaller PSU. Oh, and if you're not OCing then buying any but the quietest cooler is a waste.

If you can wait a few days for stock to come in (stock levels are naff at all etailers lately!) here's a ghetto i7 for ~€950 shipped if you're paying VAT:

Kom160909.png

Went for a decent-quality full-HD monitor rather than bargain basement rubbish; we are talking Photoshop after all!

Oh, if you want/need an mATX build for space reasons try this mobo and this case. It looks a bit more fitting in the workplace than an Antec gaming case! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Thanks for the reply Solitaire. Yeah that basket was a bit blurry alright! Would I really get away with a 30 quid graphics card on an otherwise decent spec machine? If I can great! It's four years or more since I did a build so i've completely lost touch with many components - last time I spent €500 on an ATI X800XT! Have never worked with mATX; found the ATX very cramped and awkward last time - would mATX be much worse?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

@Solitare: Doesn't the i7 have the 1.65v limit on RAM? That Crucial RAM seems to be 1.8v.

Unless you go the CUDA route (and that only works on a couple of custom filters I've been told) then its far more important to have a decent amount of graphics memory and a fast CPU, rather than fast graphics memory and a fast GPU. That's why I didn't go even cheaper and get the 256MB version ;) The main reason I included any graphics card is because P55 lacks any onboard GPU. For 2D applications and HD a nice modern HD4350 should be more than enough.

As for the mATX system that's simply if you need to save space in the office; cooling is inferior but you don't have a gaming-grade GPU and seeing as you're not going to be overclocking the PSU would help exhaust heat from the CPU cooler nicely ;) Unfortunately "cramped" is an issue with many cases regardless of the "m" in front of the "ATX"; here you should be fairly good as the graphics card is not especially bulky and doesn't need any auxillary power connections and you'd probably only need the lightweight stock cooler for the CPU so the only bones of contention would be "dropping in" the mobo (with cooler on) and hooking up the cabling (and tucking them away afterwards :D) There aren't any reviews for the GZ-M1 but from what I've seen of the interior it seems quite good for a mini-tower case with decent space around the mobo and rounded edges so you don't slice your hands to pieces while lowering in the mobo assembly ;) Both the 300 and the GZ-X1 (bigger version of the mATX case, looks nicer than the 300!) are fairly average for space and have poor cable routing, which is the norm for that price segment.

Any final thoughts (hmm....still a bit fuzzy)? I've included a Dell monitor. It ain't full HD - but it is an IPS panel! Would a fan (or two) be necessary at the front of the case? Total comes to about €850 - which ain't bad for a build with i5/SSD/IPS I reckon!

ccl3.jpg

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Farcear wrote: »
    @Solitare: Doesn't the i7 have the 1.65v limit on RAM? That Crucial RAM seems to be 1.8v.

Yep :o [/faceplant]

I doubt the Dell is the highest quality but its still great value for an IPS panel :) Mighty cheap mobo you have there too!

And the Antec 200 is fugly and unfitting but it starts life with excellent fannage for its price. No need to add fans there.

Still... the i5-750 could be quite a bit slower than the i7-860 due to the lower speed and much lower Turbo Boost (very pertinent if you're not OCing). It also lacks HyperThreading, but from the benchmarks I've seen CS4 likes HT about as much as the average game, i.e. a case of herpes. So for once its not an issue. Really depends on whether you're willing to pay the extra for the decreased operation times in Photoshop.

In any case check that the chosen DDR3 kit is rated to run at or under 1.65V. If not, don't touch it with a bargepole.

Solitaire wrote: »
    Yep :o [/faceplant]

I doubt the Dell is the highest quality but its still great value for an IPS panel :) Mighty cheap mobo you have there too!

And the Antec 200 is fugly and unfitting but it starts life with excellent fannage for its price. No need to add fans there.

Still... the i5-750 could be quite a bit slower than the i7-860 due to the lower speed and much lower Turbo Boost (very pertinent if you're not OCing). It also lacks HyperThreading, but from the benchmarks I've seen CS4 likes HT about as much as the average game, i.e. a case of herpes. So for once its not an issue. Really depends on whether you're willing to pay the extra for the decreased operation times in Photoshop.

In any case check that the chosen DDR3 kit is rated to run at or under 1.65V. If not, don't touch it with a bargepole.
    The Dell actually gets really good reviews! :D Mobo, RAM and i5 come as a pre-aasembled bundle - tested etc, so if it don't work it ain't my problem! You're right - that 200 case is butt ugly so I'm busting the budget out another tenner and getting a CoolerMaster Centurion 534. Only one 120 mm front fan but i reckon the 140 mm on the PSU should help vent the rear pretty well. Can always get another 120 if it goes on fire. i7 would be nice although SSD would have to go! Decision decisions....

I really wish Antec would release a 200-2 with a non-bleurgh-inducing front. Its a lot of case for the money (bottom-loader PSU, 140mm top fan, proper airflow for front fans...) but its aesthetics forcefield is gonna drive a lot of potential buyers away. What screaming idiot convinced Antec to go with that hideous design?! :eek:

On another note: Still no written review for the 200. Only nasty little video reviews here and there. Aesthetic forcefield hard at work I see :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Solitaire wrote: »
    I really wish Antec would release a 200-2 with a non-bleurgh-inducing front. Its a lot of case for the money (bottom-loader PSU, 140mm top fan, proper airflow for front fans...) but its aesthetics forcefield is gonna drive a lot of potential buyers away. What screaming idiot convinced Antec to go with that hideous design?! :eek:

On another note: Still no written review for the 200. Only nasty little video reviews here and there. Aesthetic forcefield hard at work I see :P
    Surely it would've been cheaper (and better looking) to have it as flat black aluminium instead!

Advertisement