Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paris Marathon

• 16-09-2009 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

Anyone signed up for this? I'm thinking of making it my first marathon! That is if you can enter it without having ran a mara already? Anyone done this one before?? I love Paris and reckon it should make for a good route scenery-wise at least!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I was thinking of doing it but it's on the same day as Connemara in 2010 so sadly that means I'm not in. A few on here did it last year leaving us with some mixed reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭**Portia**

Thanks, I might have a look for that thread and see what the pros and cons are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭chatoon

Hi Portia,

I did the Paris marathon last year (first ever marathon too!) and I had an absolute blast and loved every long minute of it! In its favour, the route is lovely, the weather warm in April, the support from the firemen was great, the atmosphere was brilliant and with over 30,000 runners, you were never alone. I only wanted to get around the course and wasn't worried at all about my time, so I will say this, if you are going for time, this is not the marathon to choose (unless you are super fast and are at the front of the pack!); by the time I got to the water and food stations, there were slippy banana skins and orange skins on the ground which made running dangerous and forced me to jog very slowly (which for me, wasn't a bad thing!); also part of the course is run under a few of the tunnels in the centre of Paris, which on a hot day and with the metros beside you, can make for very warm uncomfortable running. Also, I know that being surrounded by that many people can be off putting for many. Overall I just wanted my first marathon to be in Paris as I too love the city and I wanted a memorable one and crossing that line was one of the best moments of my life and where better to do that than in a beautiful city...

Final advice: if you are thinking of doing it, register early as it booked out really fast last year, and best of luck with whatever marathon you choose, it'll be an experience to remember...:D

Thanks so much for all the info. I won't be running for a time at all, just completing it would be an achievement!! Wanted to run the Dublin Marathon but couldn't get time off work (grr!), this could be a nice alternative (as long as I keep the training up over Winter!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Horrible marathon would not recommend it, poor organisation, **** t-shirt, narrow roads, heavily congested and not much support along the route. I hated it.
    On a positive the expo was cool and the pacers for each target time were fantastic and spot onand you could head to euro disney with the family after which was my highlite..

Other possible marathons in April London, Rotterdam, Zurich and Vienna all of which have had good reviews from Boardsies here, Rotterdam being fast but apparently not scenic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Woddle wrote: »
    Horrible marathon would not recommend it, poor organisation, **** t-shirt, narrow roads, heavily congested and not much support along the route. I hated it.
    On a positive the expo was cool and the pacers for each target time were fantastic and spot onand you could head to euro disney with the family after which was my highlite..

Other possible marathons in April London, Rotterdam, Zurich and Vienna all of which have had good reviews from Boardsies here, Rotterdam being fast but apparently not scenic.

Couldn't agree more. Did it this year and didn't enjoy it a single bit. Woodle, glad I wasn't the only who thought this. Every time I hear about the "amazing support" I think eh, where? Were we running the same marathon?

Far, far nicer ones to do. Doesn't Barcelona get a big thumbs up. However you are doing your big miles over Christmas and in crappy weather.

I'd do London if you can get an entry. I think it's rather congested but just sounds so lovely.

I know that the time doesn't fit but Berlin is far superior.

ok not as excited now about, maybe London instead. The question of support along the route is actually a big deal for me - in the races I've done it mattered so much and I was surprised at how touched I was in my first race when strangers were willing me on.Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated, think it may be London, don't want to be let down , esp for my first one. Does anyone know when the entries for London are open?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭psychozeb

i did paris this year and enjoyed it a lot,expo was excellent.went on the friday night when it was very quiet.pacers were brilliant too,was in the 3:30 pen and to be honest didn't find the congestion bad,did my first 4 miles at 8 min pace.i had an irish vest on and got loads of support along the course from the irish people around it and the other runners competing in the race.t-shirt is crap but i wouldn't cut a marathon because of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Barcelona or Seville would be my first choice of european spring marathons, they both get excellent reviews - marathonguide.com has a good calender of races.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

**Portia** wrote: »
    , think it may be London, don't want to be let down , esp for my first one. Does anyone know when the entries for London are open?

I think you're too late to enter London 2010 now unless you go with a charity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 newbie345

I'm doing the Paris marathon in april. I'm a beginner runner, started with the start of the summer and did the series in the Phoenix Park. I'm *well* slow by the standards on here with a HM finish @ 2hr17m, but i trained for that and it was an achievement for me. Anyway, I'm just putting out the feelers incase there is anyone reading this who is also a marathon virgin and planning on training up for paris/another spring marathon? It would be good to have others at the same beginner level building up the mileage with me through the horrible winter weather, especially for the longer weekend runs:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Couldn't agree more. Did it this year and didn't enjoy it a single bit.

+1. I did not enjoy it either. Far too crowed for a middle of the pack runner that i am. 38000 runners!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

newbie345 wrote: »
    I'm doing the Paris marathon in april. I'm a beginner runner, started with the start of the summer and did the series in the Phoenix Park. I'm *well* slow by the standards on here with a HM finish @ 2hr17m, but i trained for that and it was an achievement for me. Anyway, I'm just putting out the feelers incase there is anyone reading this who is also a marathon virgin and planning on training up for paris/another spring marathon? It would be good to have others at the same beginner level building up the mileage with me through the horrible winter weather, especially for the longer weekend runs:)

Im signed up for Paris, still looking forward to it despite the banana skins and crap t-shirt ;).

If you are looking for a 20-22 mile buddy early Sat mornings Jan, Feb and March we could organise something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

Possibly depends on where you start and what your time expectations are. I ran it in 2005 (I think - the years are starting to get a bit blurred at this stage), and really enjoyed it, but I was in one of the front pens, so had no crowd congestion. I thought it was well organised, had a very nice route and the crowd support was fine - not as loud as Boston or Berlin, but fine for me.

i was so happy with it this year i'll be back next year with a few others from our local club.was going fine till 6 to go this year when my knees acted up so hopefully i'll sort that out for next years one.started in 3:30 pen last year but will try the 3:15 if i can get in next year aftermy 3:20 in dublin.

Kissy Lips wrote: »
    Im signed up for Paris, still looking forward to it despite the banana skins and crap t-shirt ;).

If you are looking for a 20-22 mile buddy early Sat mornings Jan, Feb and March we could organise something.

I am planning on doing a spring marathon (not sure about Paris) too and would also be interested in trainig with a couple others, PM me if you are interested!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Daithi BC wrote: »
    Possibly depends on where you start and what your time expectations are. I ran it in 2005 (I think - the years are starting to get a bit blurred at this stage), and really enjoyed it, but I was in one of the front pens, so had no crowd congestion. I thought it was well organised, had a very nice route and the crowd support was fine - not as loud as Boston or Berlin, but fine for me.

Think I ran it that year too DBC. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was my first marathon outside of Ireland and it was a treat to be running along the Champs Elysee, past the Lourve, the seine, the Eiffel tower etc. At the time I ran 3:29 which was a PB back then so I was well happy. The early part was a tad congested but thats common with other marathons. I felt the organisation then was good and with the metro system you can get around without any hassle. Personally I'd recommend it. If I recall rightly it was fairly flat as city marathons go. Its a nice one for a family trip too as your OH is unlikely to not want to go to Paris :)

**Portia** wrote: »
    I am planning on doing a spring marathon (not sure about Paris) too and would also be interested in trainig with a couple others, PM me if you are interested!

Will do !

Ill make a note of that, for november ill be sticking to 10kms. i walked down the stairs forwards unassisted for the first time today, then ran back up and ran down forwards just to make sure.:)

My Paris Marathon 2009 review in this thread

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Right, so if I ever run Paris just over estimate my time(well hopefully in two years time I'll be in that position anyway) to go in the sub 3:15 pen.:)

• Advertisement

psychozeb wrote: »
    i did paris this year and enjoyed it a lot,expo was excellent.went on the friday night when it was very quiet.pacers were brilliant too,was in the 3:30 pen and to be honest didn't find the congestion bad,did my first 4 miles at 8 min pace.i had an irish vest on and got loads of support along the course from the irish people around it and the other runners competing in the race.t-shirt is crap but i wouldn't cut a marathon because of that.

Hey psychozeb or anyone else on this thread, can you recommend any hotels or review where you stayed in Paris?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kandikane

hi newbie i have my long run up to 18 mile at the moment 2hours 42 is my best time so far and im looking forward to paris for a first marathon might be up for a long run on the winter weekends coming up good company helps the pain ha

Hey psychozeb or anyone else on this thread, can you recommend any hotels or review where you stayed in Paris?
    hi great selection of very good hotels for the paris marathon on 1800hotels.com and at a great price

i stayed in an ibis at port de clichy about 20 mins away on the metro.will probably do the same for next year.around 165 euro without breakfast for three nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lorc

I recommend renting an apartment if you'll be there more than a night or two. There are plenty of websites for this, such as http://www.lodgis.com. I also rent my own place: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Paris-France/Rue-de-lExposition/31437914730

As for the marathon, I don't know anyone that run it but I know people that have run and enjoyed the Paris 20k and the Paris-Versailles run too. They might be worth a look instead.

hi im doing the paris marathon in april and looking for people to train with for paris my long run is 18 miles 2h 42min and would be nice to train with poeple that are doing paris in april.I do alot of phoenix park running as its close to home,so PM me if your interested

lorc wrote: »
    I recommend renting an apartment if you'll be there more than a night or two. There are plenty of websites for this, such as http://www.lodgis.com. I also rent my own place: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Paris-France/Rue-de-lExposition/31437914730

As for the marathon, I don't know anyone that run it but I know people that have run and enjoyed the Paris 20k and the Paris-Versailles run too. They might be worth a look instead.

fantastic, apts link is great.

kandikane wrote: »
    hi im doing the paris marathon in april and looking for people to train with for paris my long run is 18 miles 2h 42min and would be nice to train with poeple that are doing paris in april.I do alot of phoenix park running as its close to home,so PM me if your interested

ill be starting again before xmas so ill give you a mail around then. like pacman around the park :pac:

super stuff sure keep me posted when your back out there im working a night shift tonight and dreading my long run in the morning at 7 i must be mad ha

• Advertisement

Hi Portia so did ya go ahead and enter the paris maeathon i see there are not many places left its nearly full

Hi newbie
    im doing the paris marathon as well first one and my stomping groung is the phoenix park so if your looking for some company PM me and we can sort something out:)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭RichJH

Hi guys, I've entered the Paris Marathon, its my first one, and I'm really looking forward to it despite what I've read here.

My name is on the list, I've paid my sub, but I haven't recieved any confirmation etc. Has anyone else had the same problem?

How is everyones time coming? Im running 10Ks in 45mins at the moment, haven't started my long runs on the weekends but that all changes come January

hi richJH your firewall settings could have blocked the conformation message.if you go to the home page of the patris marathon there is an option on the right hand side of the page as far as i know.and you just put in your name and if it comes up with your number you have nothing to worry about,ya wide..

• Registered Users Posts: 34 LeonKyr

+1 )
    Training in the sourth - D18.

hey leon
    how the training going what time you looking to paris in?

• Advertisement

4 hours.

I did 18K last weekend... everything is on plan.

What is your plan?

Hi
    my long run was up yo 19 miles but started a halhigdon progrom a few weeks ago 6 day training session i love it,looking to finish paris 3.45 ish thats the plan looking foeward to it,the weeks will fly in,you working off a program?or just doing doing your own thing?Im doing a session arounf the 25th with a few cases of miller beer i hope i have the legs for it ha ha

with program.
    every week + 10% and 4th week is rest... sometimes increase intensity...

very good my rest days is friday and thursday finishes with a small hill or tempo run so its not to bad now but after chrimbo there is gonna be a big change in things,im doing edinburgh 7 weeks after paris so gonna do a reverse taper after paris not looking for a PB in edinburgh just gonna cruise around with my mate

Hi newbie.
    i train up the phoenix park and from clontarf up the coast if your looking for some company on the long runs,im looking forward to paris my first marathon also i had done 14 miles in the snow the weekend i must have been mad,sure keep me posted if your free any weekend for a long run:)
    Ken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 GeraldineN

Hi everyone, have any of you booked your flights to Paris yet? I'm in the process at the minute of trying to book but it's really expensive. I don't want to use the cost to get there as a reason to pull out, but I did Paris last year and it was soooo expensive 48 euro for 3 pints & 2 btls of bud!! Is flying the only way y'all are getting there?

GeraldineN wrote: »
    Hi everyone, have any of you booked your flights to Paris yet? I'm in the process at the minute of trying to book but it's really expensive. I don't want to use the cost to get there as a reason to pull out, but I did Paris last year and it was soooo expensive 48 euro for 3 pints & 2 btls of bud!! Is flying the only way y'all are getting there?

waiting on aer lingus sale to include the month of april.other option is fly to london and get the eurostar to paris but thats a lot of hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Train every hour from Brussels, cheap deals if booked in advance 'Thalys' or TGV. Flights to Brussels were €0.00 plus taxes last week when I looked. Travel time 1.50 h to Garde du Nord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Hi

Organisers require a medical certificate before the race. The website is contradictory in that it states that you can present it by mailing it or presenting it at the expo/registration but also states elsewhere that you must send it before. Anyone know the story?

I sent them and the status on the web site does not show anymore that I need a med cert.

Leo

LeonKyr wrote: »
    I sent them and the status on the web site does not show anymore that I need a med cert.

Leo

Thanks Leo. The website claims the cert must be sent before March so I'd need to know if it can definately be presented on registration day. I reckon it can, but the website is contradictory on this.

I send mine off a few months ago if you want the details of were to send it to its on the paris marathon site or if you cant find it give us a shout and i will give it to ya

T runner wrote: »
    I'd need to know if it can definately be presented on registration day.

yes, that's ok. But make sure the cert contains the exact wording they are looking for.
    Best is to download the exact blank cert form from Paris marathon website, and get it signed by GP.

Hi Just looking to swap/learn some info from others here.
    Someone was king enough to tell me on my training log that there were small inclines between 25k and 35k (ramps up and down to river I think). There are going to be water, raisins and bananas every 5k. 2.5 k between this water stations there are sponge stations.

Was wondering if there will be mile markers as well as kilometer markers?

My training is going well enough. Starting to feel a little stronger now as the taper starts to kick in.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 GeraldineN

Hi T-runner, haven't seen your previous posts, so I hope this helps you. You can't bring your medical certificate along with you, it has to be posted in,(unless they've changed it from last year) and when getting your bag at the expo. you need your passport! There are slight hills up and down through tunnels, the end is through a park which is a bit strange as there's no spectators - weird really. There are bananas, oranges etc handed out, I doubt you'll be as far back the crowd as I was, (4.30 pace) but it was horrible running through all the skins on the ground, really dangerous, don't know if you'll be up for the wine at mile 22!! As far as I can remember it was all km's! Another word - the T-shirts are awful, I got a large and it wouldn't fit a small child! It is a wonderful experience as the crowds round the city are great, but it was hot too that I wasn't used to. I'm not able to get out this year through lack of training, oh another thing - 48 euro for 3 pints of beer & 2 bottles of bud - needles to say we couldn't afford to party hard!! Enjoy! See you at the Warrior Run?!

• Advertisement
Advertisement