Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paris Marathon

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

GeraldineN wrote: »
    Hi T-runner, haven't seen your previous posts, so I hope this helps you. You can't bring your medical certificate along with you, it has to be posted in,(unless they've changed it from last year) and when getting your bag at the expo. you need your passport! There are slight hills up and down through tunnels, the end is through a park which is a bit strange as there's no spectators - weird really. There are bananas, oranges etc handed out, I doubt you'll be as far back the crowd as I was, (4.30 pace) but it was horrible running through all the skins on the ground, really dangerous, don't know if you'll be up for the wine at mile 22!! As far as I can remember it was all km's! Another word - the T-shirts are awful, I got a large and it wouldn't fit a small child! It is a wonderful experience as the crowds round the city are great, but it was hot too that I wasn't used to. I'm not able to get out this year through lack of training, oh another thing - 48 euro for 3 pints of beer & 2 bottles of bud - needles to say we couldn't afford to party hard!! Enjoy! See you at the Warrior Run?!

Hi Geraldine. Are you sure about the Cert? I was advised from someone who did it previously that you could present it at the expo. Have emailed them now to be sure. There seems to be a lot of people who havent submited it on the runners list so maybe its changed for this year.

Looking forward to Warriors Run. Must actually register now!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 GeraldineN

You're just as well to e-mail them, don't want to give you wrong info. Good luck with it, you'll have a blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 GeraldineN

Just got confirmation of a friend who came with us last year, you can bring it with you, there are different queues you get into in the expo. Sorry for any confusion!! Good luck, G.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭psychozeb

T runner wrote: »
    Hi Just looking to swap/learn some info from others here.
    Someone was king enough to tell me on my training log that there were small inclines between 25k and 35k (ramps up and down to river I think). There are going to be water, raisins and bananas every 5k. 2.5 k between this water stations there are sponge stations.

Was wondering if there will be mile markers as well as kilometer markers?

My training is going well enough. Starting to feel a little stronger now as the taper starts to kick in.

there is mile markers alright but are placed down low,at least they were last year.they were only on righthand side of the course also.i'm back there next week again with a few other lads from the club,looking forward to it.best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭RichJH

So are we all ready for this thing then?!
    I'm looking forward to it now but wondering how on earth I'll keep going for the guts of 4 hours!!

Best of luck to one and all and looking forward to a few (expensive but worth it) pints after!!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kandikane

Dont worry rich on the day with the atmosphere and the thought of a few gallons of beer after the marathon you will be grand ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭Iron Enthusiast

Hi,

I ran the Paris Marathon last year so can answer a couple of questions posted here (although it looks like I may be contradicting some previous answers - so i can only speak for my direct experience).

Last year I presented my medical cert at the registration table in the expo and it was fine. They literally glanced at it and that was it. If you have a question about this just email the organisers, thats what I did last year and I also brought a print out of their response (saying i could present the cert on the day) in case i needed it (which I didn't).

Afraid there are only Kilometer markers and no mile markers on the course, as such it makes sense to start getting used to the relationship between the two metrics now instead of doing extra math on race day! :O) (1 mile = 1.61 k)

I ran the Paris marathon with 3 mates and we all had a really brilliant time and had GFs with us who also enjoyed it from a spectators point of view, it can be quite warm so make sure you take on fluids early and often if the sun is going to shine. Very well organised race and cracking scenery.

Here's a race report on last years Paris marathon which gives a good overview of what to expect:

http://www.endurancesource.com/#/paris-marathon-race-report-200/4533702945

- enjoy!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Afraid there are only Kilometer markers and no mile markers on the course

Are you 100% sure of that?
    I ran it last year and can't remember to be honest. But the map of the course on their website clearly indicates km and mile markers.
    I would be surprise of they did not have mile marker, Paris being a large international marathon.

Hi,

Afraid there are only Kilometer markers and no mile markers on the course, as such it makes sense to start getting used to the relationship between the two metrics now instead of doing extra math on race day! :O) (1 mile = 1.61 k

afraid i'd have to diagree there,there is definitely mile markers,they are hard to see though as they are low down and only on the right side of the course.the km markers are handy if one is going for a 3:30 as each km is just 2 secs under 5 mins so easy enough to keep track of.they'll be giving out pacing bands at the expo also with every 5km split on it.

was hoping to do a reasonable time myself this year but have been having sruggled with niggles in training for the last 2 months so i'm just looking forward to getting around in one piece now.

only thing missing for me this year is no concert to go to beforehand,went to metallica at the bercy last year on the thursday night before the race,great gig and got me going for the whole weekend.

best of luck to all taking part on sunday,enjoy the day and the great atmosphere.

photo of last years start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭Iron Enthusiast

Hello again!

I can only say that i didn't see any mile markers and either did any of the lads who I ran with (we had a good natured moan about it afterwards:o) It's possible that the mile markers are there but perhaps they aren't always the easiet to see so no harm knowing the relationship between your k's and miles.

Either way the very best of luck to all taking part this year,. Cracking race and a good town for a beer afterwards - just make sure you go somewhere where the staff will come to your table instead of you having to hobble to the bar!:pac:

Off to the airport this morning.

Heres a bit of inspiration for an even pace on sunday:

Rod Dixon New York '83

Best of luck to ye all. If anyone has a venue in mind for the post race analysis, stick it up here. Bon Chance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Bon chance indeed. Fabulous time in Paris T. Congrats. A great result for the hard work put in.

hope all had a good time in paris.did 3:26:15 myself,delighted as i was suffering with problems for the two months prior to the race.two of the lads over with me from the club had pb's so good weekend all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kandikane

Yo cock suckers done 3.43 in paris loved every moment of it gonna do it again next year i hope roll on edinborugh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

T Runner's splits pacing for his super 2:44 in Paris - "traffic" in first 5 k apparently slowing many up.

0-5 4.04km 6.32M
    5-10 4.02 6.26.5
    15-21.1 3.46 6.04
    21.1-25 3.46.7 6.05
    25-30 3.58 6.22
    30-35 3.53 6.15
    35-42.2 4.02 6.30

Great job T:D

• Advertisement

Excuseless wrote: »
    T Runner's splits pacing for his super 2:44 in Paris - "traffic" in first 5 k apparently slowing many up.

0-5 4.04km 6.32M
    5-10 4.02 6.26.5
    15-21.1 3.46 6.04
    21.1-25 3.46.7 6.05
    25-30 3.58 6.22
    30-35 3.53 6.15
    35-42.2 4.02 6.30

Great job T:D

Thanks Excuseless and well done psycho and All. Was a bit late to pen due in part to logistical difficulties getting from metro to baggage drop to start but the slow start ensured Id have a sensible run. I found the Bois De Bologne very windy and tough at the end and I lost maybe 2.5 minutes there. I blame the legs for one minute and the head for another and the wind for the rest. Had a bit of a cushion but nearly blew it.

How did everyone find the Bois De Bologne?

Thought it was the only part of the course that could have been improved on. It turned back on itself a bit to make up the distance which was tough for the runners as you had a feeling that running down the next long windy road wasnt actually bringing you physically closer to the line.

Beautiful course apart from the whole middle section is along the Seine past all the famous landmarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭In the Woods

Traffic was head-wrecking for at least the first 10km. Got some dirty looks from people as I tried to go around / through them. That said, the first mile or 2 being quiet slow stood to me later in the race.

signed up for 3:15 (previous pb of 3:30 was from Dublin 09) and finished in 3:14:06 so delighted with that.

Flew home with Ryanair that evening. Flight was delayed by an hour and didn't get home till 2am...ah well, live and learn.

All in all, a good experience. Enjoyed the big crowds and the generally flat course. Don't know if I'd do Paris again next year (probably apply for London again) but it didn't put me off travelling for a marathon and I'd certainly recommend it to anyone considering it next year.

Splits and Analysis of elite race from Science of Sport.

Looked like a great race at the front

Advertisement