Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surviving with a LTI

Options
  • 16-09-2009 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi, I'm new here.
    I was recently diagnosed with a LTI that prevents me from working(some can work with the condition itself but my strain of it makes it impossible for me). I am really struggling to come to terms with this and the implications it will have on my future.
    I am just wondering is there anywhere I can go to get advice on financial matters. I have a mortgage and with no income from me meeting this will be impossible. Also due to the illness my gp, consultant and medications costs are eating into money I just don't have.

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place just don't know where else to go for advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭GER12

I dont know what your circumstances are - if you are married, single or cohabiting - but I recommend that you make contact with citizens information services to ascertain exactly what your entitlements are. Also, there are many support groups for specific illnesses - there may be a support group that may be able to offer advice and support. Some organisations also have advocacy workers within the organisations that can help and support you in relation to applying for benefits etc. If you are experiencing financial difficulties - you could contact the monetary advice and budgetary service. They have a telephone information service and also have apt systems (which have lenghty waiting lists). They may be able to help you with budget and financial management. You may also be entitled to a full general medical services card or doctors only visit card - the application form can be got from your local citizens information service and qualification for both is based on a means test.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

PrincessL- normally when you take out your mortgage- they make you take out a Life assurance policy with it, which normally includes 'Living Cover', specifically to cater for eventualities such as the one you're currently in. What you need to do though- is contact your mortgage providor now, before you go into arrears, and ascertain what the situation is.

I know what you mean about Consultants, GP and medication bills eating into money you simply don't have- my wife and I spent over 12k last year on general medical expenses- that were not covered by PRSI, VHI etc.......

If you haven't already done so- ask your pharmacist for a form to apply for the DPS scheme. Under this scheme you pay a blanket EUR100 a month towards your medication (due to rise to EUR140 a month in December).

Talk to your community welfare officer- he/she will be able to detail your entitlements and advise on what you should do also.

If you are currently in financial problems over all of this- contact MABS and organise a manageable repayment schedule with your debtors.

The big thing is don't put your head in the sand- it is daunting being told you have a life long medical condition- but you have to learn how to live with it- instead of allowing it to rule your life. It might sound like a very minor thing- but deciding that your medical condition is just a part of who you are, but does not define who you are- can be a massive step.

Try to get rid of the things that are causing you stress at the moment (by dealing with your financial problems immediately), this will allow you a chance to focus on you as a person, and decide what decisions you want to make for yourself.

I'd definitely check out whether you have life assurance etc related to the mortgage- most lenders have insisted on it for several years.

Advertisement