Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can i get pure breed chickens

Options
  • 16-09-2009 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi, does anyone know where i can get 10 or 12 chickens, rhode island red, buff/light sussex, black marans, orpington & wyandotte or similar good layers. Chicks have to be over 10 weeks old or near point of lay. Im in Kilkenny but can travel. I have a coop and run ready to go but no chicks:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Have a look at:

http://www.irishfowl.com/bird-marketplace.php

I have bought birds from several people via here & have been very happy so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ronboy

Hi
    There's a bird market over in myshal co carlow on the last sunday of every month. All kinds of stuff at it. Or else just try donedeal....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If they are just for eggs would you consider some ex battery hens as well, they are still great layers with a bit of TLC

ronboy wrote: »
    Hi
    There's a bird market over in myshal co carlow on the last sunday of every month. All kinds of stuff at it. Or else just try donedeal....

Just be sure you know what you are looking for. I have been disappointed in the past by my few purchases at poultry bring & buy sales - have been sold young pullets which turned out to be cockerels, etc. Same with classified ads - you need to know exactly what young birds of your chosen breeds should look like (male & female) to be certain you are buying pure bred stock & of the sex you require. You should also be asking questions about bloodlines, as you don't want birds that are in-bred.

Pure-bred birds are quite pricey now, for good stock you could be paying €25 and upwards per bird, so it is easy to make expensive mistakes if you aren't careful.

These are in Kilkenny & may have what you want:

http://www.poulacapplepoultry.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭super_metroid

is there a bird market in dublin ?

Advertisement