Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best processor upgrade?

Options
  • 16-09-2009 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭

What CPU would be the best for me to get good gaming results there not too bad as it is but i would like a faster processor any recommendations my current setup is:

Inter Pentium D 3.4GHz dual core, 2x2mb cache.
    2GB(2x1) Corsair @ 800MHz
    80GB hard drive.
    1GB graphics card nvidia geforce 9400gt

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Well your processor is pretty good and if you wanted to upgrade something it should be your graphics card!!!

Also if you are running Vista or W7 then your ram could be a problem too...

what games do you play? And at what resolution screen do you game on?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Dannyboi3k

W7.. more ram u say?
    FSX not runnin great.. settings on medium low..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Dannyboi3k wrote: »
    What CPU would be the best for me to get good gaming results there not too bad as it is but i would like a faster processor any recommendations my current setup is:

Inter Pentium D 3.4GHz dual core, 2x2mb cache.
    2GB(2x1) Corsair @ 800MHz
    80GB hard drive.
    1GB graphics card nvidia geforce 9400gt

The best single upgrade you could do is the graphics card..

Is it PCI-e or AGP? What wattage is your power supply?

The chip isn't too bad and 2 gigs of ram is fine. FXS is notorious anyway for running badly, but to be honest, your graphics card is very very weak.

What Graphics card do you recommend? its PCI-e

You have to tell us what games and what resolution your playing them on...
    Also tell us what friggin os you have!!!

• Advertisement

If you had to have read my posts you will have noticed I have already mentioned i'm using Windows 7 and the game i'm on about is FSX

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Okay, Danniboi, can you please give us a detailed spec on your PSU? If you open up the case the PSU should have a label on its side giving a long list of its vital statistics, give us the maker, model and any numbers that involve "A", "V" or "W" ;) And what type of case is it? Is it a narrow slimline jobbie or a big wide one?

If you don't have much headroom on the PSU it limits you to cards that don't use a ton of power. The more serious issue is the width of the case as if its too narrow you won't be able to fit a normal graphics card in there, and its very hard getting a hold of gaming-grade low-profile cards outside the US :o

Hey Solitaire, yeah will do, as soon as i'm home i'll give the details..
    And it fits a standard size graphics card, its a wide case ;)

Dannyboi3k wrote: »
    If you had to have read my posts you will have noticed I have already mentioned i'm using Windows 7 and the game i'm on about is FSX

Didn't quite understand what you meant by "W7.. more ram u say?"

But i did miss FSX, the resolution doesn't seem to matter that much with that game...

Windows 7 sorry should have said that..
    and i mean you think i should get more memory?
    Just lookin for some tips is all dont wanna change everything on the PC as its workin fine just want to make it faster for bigger apps such as CPU intensive games and stuff :)

Cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

(why didn't I ask you earlier :rolleyes: ) What resolution is your monitor? That kinda influences what graphics cards you should be looking at. Unless you only want to play really old games (or internet games, or poker, or WoW...) then the PSU and screen dictates what you need. Not that I'd recommend anything really big and expensive for an old Pentium-D rig :P

As for memory, yes, upgrading to 4GB or even 3GB may be nice, but for games the graphics card is the overwhelming priority.

Solitaire wrote: »
    Not that I'd recommend anything really big and expensive for an old Pentium-D rig :P

My thoughts exactly .. :p
    Also not sure on the monitor as of yet .. :o

Advertisement