Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did my cat kill???

Options
  • 16-09-2009 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I just spotted a rodent my cat killed out the back garden :eek: & am wondering what it is/was. I don't think it's a mouse because of the length of its nose or a rat because of its size. Any ideas??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

a shrew?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭BennyLava

Its a shrew

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭hatetherain!

maybe baby a rat with a deformed nose??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's definately a Pygmy Shrew.
    What a pity!
    Cats:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

They are getting quite rare now, used to be lots of them in my garden when I was a child, can give you quite a nip!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

A shrew. I rescued one that a cat was playing with years ago and the little sod thanked me by biting me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

And for the record, it's not a rodent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Ive 4 dead ones in my garden at the moment. Theres no stopping my cat, ive tried a bell on his collor and nothing works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Ive 4 dead ones in my garden at the moment. Theres no stopping my cat, ive tried a bell on his collor and nothing works.

Bells on Cats do not work. The gentle tinkle of a bell is not a "natural" warning sound to animals or birds. Cats is Cats.:(

One consolation could be that so many caught by a cat is a sign of a good sized local population - a bit like increased roadkills actually can signify an increased general population of a species.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Well im next to a load of Private land that belongs to a manor up in balbriggan. The cat catches all sorts. He dismembers rats perfectly.
    He just leaves the Head, tail and paws behind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

There are about 7.5 million domestic cats and 813,000 feral cats in Britain. British cats kill 250 million mammals every year. In the USA, cats kill a billion birds every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

There are about 7.5 million domestic cats and 813,000 feral cats in Britain. British cats kill 250 million mammals every year. In the USA, cats kill a billion birds every year.

Feral cats are the number one killer of songbirds arnt they. I read that somewhere (probably here):).

Advertisement