Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rustic poles

Options
  • 16-09-2009 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭

im looking for some advise.
    im considering making a super king sized bed out of rustic poles, assuming they would be suitable for this? or would you recommend something else? im having trouble sourcing a supply of suitable rustic poles, any ideas in the dublin area?
    i would also like to do this as cheap as possible!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

wat do u mean by rustic poles?? round or square?? could you use rough 4x4 post and sand it down to take away splinters etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

they are usually round long poles all the same length but only roughly the same girth, can taper and look very rustic!

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

if having difficulty sourcing them could you make them or get them made?? seen a guy making a tapered post before using a router and a home made jig?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Hmmmmm strange thought I replied to this thread when it was first posted?

Rustic Poles at least now I know how rustic you want now.

My original suggestion was go find a tree surgeon and see if you can find one that sells firewood then there's a good chance you might be able to get the sizes of branch wood timber that would otherwise go through the chipper. If your really lucky you might find someone that sells firewood that has a stack of uncut branchwood you can sort through.

Failing that ask in the nearest Glambia if they can get rustic poles for post and rail fencing. They would be fairly straight softwood thinings about 4 inch diameter and normally include the bark.

Following on from that ask a fencing contractor to get you some.

I think commercially the type of timber you want either ends up processed for fence posts or going for mdf, particle board, chip board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

thks for the info!

• Advertisement
Advertisement