Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Mainboard + chip suggestions

Options
  • 16-09-2009 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

Currently running:
    • Corsair Powersupply 620W Black, ATX/EPS, 120mm Fan, 8xSATA, SLI, WxHxL 150x86x150
    • EVGA nForce 680i SLI,Vers-A1, DDR2, ATX, Socket-775, 2xGbLAN, 1333FSB, 2xPCI-Ex16
    • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz Socket LGA775, 8MB, BOXED w/fan
    • OCZ Gold XTC DDR2 PC6400 4096MB KIT, w/two 2048MB PC6400 XTC, CL5-5-5-15
    • Gigabyte GeForce 8400GS 256MB DDR2, PCI-Express, DVI/VGA/HDCP
    • Samsung SpinPoint F1 750GB SATA2 32MB 7200RPM
    • Samsung SpinPoint F1 1000GB SATA2 16MB 5400RPM
    Can anyone suggest an upgrade path for me? not uptodate on the latest motherboards and chip sets.. what is good for a good price? if i can figure out what to get mother board and chip wise i can tweak the rest... Will play some games, and will be watching hd from it too. also a fresh windows 7 install..

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

If this is because you're having issues with the "games" bit, the problem is certainly not your core setup. Try that PoS 8400GS instead :o

Mobo is a bit old now, and nForce was never the happiest camper :rolleyes: But its not a particularly bad job either. CPU is more than fine, in fact with a decent cooler and a hefty overclock you have no reason to replace it any time soon :P Its decent at stock speeds, seriously formidable at ~3GHz and plain lethal at 3.5GHz+! Get a new graphics card, and a better cooler and maybe a cheap Intel mobo if neccessary.

Of course, this assumes a full-width case...

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

case is huge! :) mmm can you point me in the right direction for a cooler.. and how to overclock the chip safely! :) graphics i know could be better so might be cheaper just to replace that first and see how i go.. :) cheers for the input.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Sythe Mugen 2 for ~€35, brilliant cooling and a quiet slipstream fan. Not much difference between it and the fanless TRUE and the more expensive Noctua. Your only problem is the graphics, everything else is OK (assuming the nForce hasn't destroyed your file system like it has to some others).

Advertisement