Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Xbox 360 controller to pc

Options
  • 16-09-2009 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

Whats the best way to do this ? The wireless receiver things are 35 euro on play.com, which is too expensive for me. Is there no usb adapter that you can get on the cheap ? I had one for my ps2 controller back in the day. Dont suppose you can use the wireless receiver that you get with sceneit - as far as I remember thats usb.

boxpcWirelessAdapter.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I'm guessing you already have the controller? If not it works out a lot cheaper to buy the controller with the receiver bundled.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I'm guessing you already have the controller? If not it works out a lot cheaper to buy the controller with the receiver bundled.

Yeah, already have the controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

they dont sell the reiever on its own anymore, youd be more likely to pick it up on ebay or something

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

indough wrote: »
    they dont sell the reiever on its own anymore, youd be more likely to pick it up on ebay or something

Wrong information is wrong

They've gone up in price though. I bought mine from Amazon.co.uk a good while back for, max, €20 shipped.

A wired controller would seem to be cheaper. OP, I'd recommend just buying a wired 360 controller, not only is it cheaper, but this will also allow you to use the custom drivers for the controller that are A LOT better than the MS ones (the custom drivers don't support the wireless controller). They also allow easy button mapping and deadzone control so you can use the controller with games that don't support it.

http://xbcd360guide.50webs.com/

uh, they told me in two shops that microsoft dont sell them anymore, but hey maybe theyre wrong

i cant find it on the accessories list anymore but maybe im just going blind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I thought these were bluetooth and you could use a standard bluetooth dongle, if that's true you can pick one of those up for less than a tenner.

i think its proprietary

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Wrong information is wrong

They've gone up in price though. I bought mine from Amazon.co.uk a good while back for, max, €20 shipped.

A wired controller would seem to be cheaper. OP, I'd recommend just buying a wired 360 controller, not only is it cheaper, but this will also allow you to use the custom drivers for the controller that are A LOT better than the MS ones (the custom drivers don't support the wireless controller). They also allow easy button mapping and deadzone control so you can use the controller with games that don't support it.

http://xbcd360guide.50webs.com/

Does a wired controller work out of the box with a pc ? They are usb are they ?
    ScumLord wrote: »
    I thought these were bluetooth and you could use a standard bluetooth dongle, if that's true you can pick one of those up for less than a tenner.

I have a bluetooth dongle already!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Tusky wrote: »
    Does a wired controller work out of the box with a pc ? They are usb are they ?

I have a bluetooth dongle already!
    Yep theyre usb.Just plug in and off it goes with the drivers and the whatnot.

Also the ps3 & wii are bluetooth.Not sure what the 360 is but it aint bluetooth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I've seen these for sale in gamestop recently, think they were €22 or something

Also you could get a play and charge kit cable from dealextreme or somewhere (well it works on windows 7 anyways)

I've seen these for sale in gamestop recently, think they were €22 or something

Also you could get a play and charge kit cable from dealextreme or somewhere (well it works on windows 7 anyways)

This one ?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3019

could I just connect the wireless controller to the pc with that ? Would be a much cheaper option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

this is cheaper :pac:

Getting one with a battery is only a few $ dearer though

Look im not going to lie, I was always under the impression that it didnt work. I got a controller with a play and charge kit off a guy and went to charge it using my pc, and it was recognised by windows 7

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

this is cheaper :pac:

Getting one with a battery is only a few $ dearer though

Look im not going to lie, I was always under the impression that it didnt work. I got a controller with a play and charge kit off a guy and went to charge it using my pc, and it was recognised by windows 7

Doesnt work on vista (didnt for me anyway)

I nabbed a wireless receiver off ebay, for probably about as much as a wired controller would have been, but feck it - dont need any more wires and had the controller anyway

Wossack wrote: »
    Doesnt work on vista (didnt for me anyway)

I nabbed a wireless receiver off ebay, for probably about as much as a wired controller would have been, but feck it - dont need any more wires and had the controller anyway

Hmm - theres conflicting reports on this. Some people say it does work, some say it doesnt. Not sure what to do. Well I suppose the wire is really cheap so it cant hurt to try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I have seen these in Gamestop for 35 euro with a controller. They are the official controllers however the packaging are Microsoft branded not 360 branded, strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

Tusky wrote: »
    Hmm - theres conflicting reports on this. Some people say it does work, some say it doesnt. Not sure what to do. Well I suppose the wire is really cheap so it cant hurt to try it.

Interesting

It could be that later play and charge kits may be better? The one I have is a very old one - came bundled 3-4 years ago. I think I'd actually read (sorry it was over a year ago when I was last looking), that the charge cable only did charging, and that the data connection wasnt complete in the cable.

Dunno how truthful that was, but seemed to explain what the controller did when it was plugged into my pc (started charging, but pc remained unaware of it)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Wossack wrote: »
    Interesting

It could be that later play and charge kits may be better? The one I have is a very old one - came bundled 3-4 years ago. I think I'd actually read (sorry it was over a year ago when I was last looking), that the charge cable only did charging, and that the data connection wasnt complete in the cable.
    Thats what i have heard as well. I'll try it after work tonight and see if it works, although my play and charge kit is about 1/2 years old too.

Kiith wrote: »
    Thats what i have heard as well. I'll try it after work tonight and see if it works, although my play and charge kit is about 1/2 years old too.

If you could let me know how it works Id appreciate it, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

I'd like to hear if anyone has the play and charge thing work with 7 too. Also - was it the final RTM windows 7 or one of the RCs?

• Advertisement
Advertisement