Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Networking Windows Vista Home Premium?

• 16-09-2009 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Looking for advice please. I'm buying some laptops for my school which I need to hook up to an existing network. I was getting some good value Vista Home Premium laptops but was told they will only network wirelessly, that I will need Vista business to hook up to a server network. Is this true and if so is there any way around it? The Vista business comps would work out over €100 per laptop, which I'm very reluctant to spend!
    That should read over €100 extra per laptop. Doh!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,520 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

mwexford wrote: »
    Looking for advice please. I'm buying some laptops for my school which I need to hook up to an existing network. I was getting some good value Vista Home Premium laptops but was told they will only network wirelessly, that I will need Vista business to hook up to a server network. Is this true and if so is there any way around it? The Vista business comps would work out over €100 per laptop, which I'm very reluctant to spend!
    That should read over €100 extra per laptop. Doh!

Vista home premium doesn't support domain joining officially. Vista Business does. The claims about Home premium only supporting wireless networking are nonsense, unless these laptops don't physically have an ethernet adapter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭mwexford

Thanks for that Spear. I think I'll go back to the drawing board and look at XP laptops for ease of use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Do you have your heart set on laptops ?

Wouldn't have thought laptops would have been the best option for a school?
    If you go by a law of averages , you are far more likely to have a hardware fault, accidental damage and theft of a laptop vs a desktop.

You should at least look at desktops unless there is a specific reason you need laptops.

Just my 2 cent, but I think you'd be nuts to go with laptops for a school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭mwexford

calex71 wrote: »
    Do you have your heart set on laptops ?

Wouldn't have thought laptops would have been the best option for a school?
    If you go by a law of averages , you are far more likely to have a hardware fault, accidental damage and theft of a laptop vs a desktop.

You should at least look at desktops unless there is a specific reason you need laptops.

Just my 2 cent, but I think you'd be nuts to go with laptops for a school.

There's got to be a lot of rethinking, I'm thinking. Thanks for those thoughts calex. Laptops are already in widespread use in our school, and we've been very lucky in regard to faulty hardware. No probs re theft tg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Something else to note about laptops is the lack of upgradeability and how repairable they are!

And say when a laptop dies so does it's screen, not the case with desktops...

If a kid spills somethin on a laptop keyboard it could cost >100 or even break it completely.... Spills it on a normal keyboard!! 5 euro and that's it.

They are way more cost efficient and provide much better performance too.

For skools... desktop rulz....

• Advertisement
Advertisement