Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

careers guidance

Options
  • 16-09-2009 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Why do I always seem to come out more confused from careers than when you went in??

I was in at my career guidance teacher today and was telling him about my career choice(dentistry). He was telling me that i should have the usual back up plan like science. Then, he mentioned that i should try medicine and he said i could do like a p.h.d./doctorate (don't actually remember) in oral health.

If i do that can i practice dentistry or is there another requirement like exam to pass??

Dentistry is all i want to do, so is there any other way i could do it (preferably takes less than 8 years:P)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

koolciaran wrote: »
    Why do I always seem to come out more confused from careers than when you went in??

I was in at my career guidance teacher today and was telling him about my career choice(dentistry). He was telling me that i should have the usual back up plan like science. Then, he mentioned that i should try medicine and he said i could do like a p.h.d./doctorate (don't actually remember) in oral health.

If i do that can i practice dentistry or is there another requirement like exam to pass??

Dentistry is all i want to do, so is there any other way i could do it (preferably takes less than 8 years:P)

Am I reading this right, your career guidance teacher is telling you to do medicine and then do a PhD to take a longer route into dentistry instead of just applying to do dentistry?

Why don't you just apply for dentistry? Or are you missing a subject requirement? I thought dentistry was only 4/5 years anyway

EDIT: It's 5 years in UCC (2009 points : 575, must have honour in Chemistry and Physics or Biology) and Dental Science is 5 years in Trinity (2009 points: 570, must have a B3 and a C3 in two of Higher Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Phys/Chem, Agricultural Science)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Calum196

Well medicine could be a good second choice for you... because of the HPAT dentistry points are going to stay very high (as all the people with bad HPATs and 600 points are filling it up)...

So say if you got 550, you would miss out on dentistry, but a strong HPAT could get you into medicine... Then if you really really wanted dentistry after studying medicine then you would be in a much better position than someone with the run of the mill science degree to do a post grad.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 koolciaran

Am I reading this right, your career guidance teacher is telling you to do medicine and then do a PhD to take a longer route into dentistry instead of just applying to do dentistry?

Why don't you just apply for dentistry? Or are you missing a subject requirement? I thought dentistry was only 4/5 years anyway

Sorry no he told me to put it down as a second choice - if I don't get my first!

Is the only way i can do dentistry from medicine though is by a postgard???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Is the only way i can do dentistry from medicine though is by a postgard???

I presume he's saying doing a furthur qualification in something like Dental Surgery or Oral Health, I'd say Medicine would be the better route to go down if you could, because if you turned out to hate dentistry*, you have that to fall back on. But in terms of time it takes to qualify, the actual dentistry qualification would probably be easier.

*Not exactly the happiest of jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

He was telling me that i should have the usual back up plan like science.
    I think that he was right to tell tou this much.I think that it would be a very bad idea to put just dentistry down on your CAO considering that the points are around the 570 mark.

• Advertisement
Advertisement