Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stanley Coren's The Intelligence of Dogs - where does your dog come?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭PetrovthePrat

I dunno if I buy this Coren fellahs list at all. I would have thought it's down to the dog and handler how well they learn? And the method of training? I wonder if the good professer would publish a list like that about human races? Hmmm,I think not. Then again,my mutt is a cross between #3 and #7,so maybe I should shut up and lord it over the less gifted dogs on our walks. We could get little collar badges made up to highlight just how clever we are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

35 and 47, seems about right tbh :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 clairem

My dog is a lowly number 57 in the list. he is a pug and he's an evil genius so I don't think the list is accurate at all.

I have a pug too and you took the words out of my mouth - evil genius is right!!! He is such a clever dog and so quick to learn new tricks (when food is involved.) I really don't think this list is accurate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

liah wrote: »
    The list may be inaccurate, but I don't think anyone can argue #1's place on the list.

Borders are RIDICULOUSLY smart trainable and co-operative dogs.

FYP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

he doesnt even list German shepherds as obedience dogs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

peasant wrote: »
    FYP :D

:rolleyes:

They are smart, by your definitions or Coren's. They're very quick at figuring out situations regardless of what they've been trained to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Jack Russells don't need to be on the list, they're in a league of their own! :D

I have two, one is incredibly clever, she picks up most new commands after a few times, but also can be stubborn when i'm training her, as if to say, i've done enough tricks and obeyed enough commands and I won't do anything else until I get my treat, the other one isn't as clever but isn't as driven either. The first one is usually the instigator of any shenanigans in my house, most recently a tray of bbq'd pork ribs i put on the worktop 'out of reach'. When we're out in the car, the first one always ducks going under bridges which is hilarous to watch. She's also figured out the difference between the different sounds the laptop makes so when I shut it down completely at night, instead of just closing it, she runs for the back door to be let out to go to the toilet before I go to bed. Never when I do anything else with it.

Advertisement