Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intercountry adoption raised during Dail debate

Options
  • 16-09-2009 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

Just caught a question from labour to Cowen on Lebanese adoption - question was deferred as 'work in progress...being seen to by the department of foreign affairs'.

Does anyone have more comprehensive information - on this or on new draft legislation - or is anyone affected by the current delays?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

efla wrote: »
    Just caught a question from labour to Cowen on Lebanese adoption - question was deferred as 'work in progress...being seen to by the department of foreign affairs'.

Does anyone have more comprehensive information - on this or on new draft legislation - or is anyone affected by the current delays?

Here's the text from yesterdays Dáil Debate:
    http://debates.oireachtas.ie/DDebate.aspx?F=DAL20090916.XML&Dail=30&Ex=All&Page=1
    Order of Business.

Deputy Róisín Shortall:

My questions refer to secondary legislation. Has progress been made over the summer months on the issue of adoptions from Vietnam? Hundreds of families are waiting a decision in this matter and action from the Minister of State with responsibility for children. What is the current position and when is progress likely to be made on the issue?

The Taoiseach:

I will have to revert to the Deputy on the second matter. On the first matter, the Minister of State visited Vietnam where he dealt directly with his counterpart on the question of foreign adoptions. As we all know, this is an important and sensitive matter and one on which the Minister of State has been seeking to make progress. The Minister of State, Deputy Barry Andrews, is active in that area but we have not yet resolved the issue to everyone’s satisfaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Here's the text from yesterdays Dáil Debate:

Thanks for that, I just missed her name. Nothing too substantial in it so, aren't we overdue the adoption boards annual report? Or has the board reform been put off also?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Vietnam.....?
    I wonder if the current scandal there will have any bearing on Irish deliberations?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 class1comp

smccarrick wrote: »
    Vietnam.....?
    I wonder if the current scandal there will have any bearing on Irish deliberations?

Are current declarations now useless since the closure of Vietnam, other coutries were only supplying a small proportion?

Advertisement