Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying camera gear in Gibraltar

• 16-09-2009 4:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm lucky enough to be heading for the south of Spain at the weekend for a holiday. I'll be close enough to Gibraltar, and was thinking about dropping in to look for some 'duty free' shopping.

Has anybody else bought any camera gear there and could give recommendations or where to go/not go?

Also I presume there's no tax/duty implications when bringing it back to Ireland?

Cheers

Des

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Hi all,

I'm lucky enough to be heading for the south of Spain at the weekend for a holiday. I'll be close enough to Gibraltar, and was thinking about dropping in to look for some 'duty free' shopping.

Has anybody else bought any camera gear there and could give recommendations or where to go/not go?

Also I presume there's no tax/duty implications when bringing it back to Ireland?

Cheers

Des

I would never dream of buying anything in Gibralter because that would mean having to set foot in the horrible dirty monkey infested kip!

:mad::mad::mad:

Where are you going in Spain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I would never dream of buying anything in Gibralter because that would mean having to set foot in the horrible dirty monkey infested kip!

I think a simple 'no' would have sufficed :D

I think a simple 'no' would have sufficed :D

Yes but if I had said no he may still have gone and be subjected to that place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Cheers

Des

[snip]

Well you're buying within the EU so I wouldn't think so.

Yes but if I had said no he may still have gone and be subjected to that place!

True, true ...

I was also about to smartly point out that they're actually Apes, not monkeys, but apparently I was quite wrong :eek:
    wikipedia wrote:
    As they are a tailless species, they are also known locally as Barbary Apes or Rock Apes

but they're actually monkeys. Looks like the smarts are on ME ...

• Advertisement

trishw78 wrote: »
    [snip]

Well your buying within the EU so I wouldn't think so.

The whole point is that Gib is not part of the EU!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

To be honest I didn't know Gibraltar was that cheap. I spend a good few weeks every year in the south of Spain and never thought of going over to buy equipment. Let me know how you get on...

The whole point is that Gib is not part of the EU!

Actually, Gibralter IS part of the EU, but isn't part of the customs and VAT common area. So I presume the OP will be liable once he travels back into Spain from Gibralter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Can we get back to the point of this thread...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

I've been to Gib a few times and would highly recommend it for a day out. I never did any shopping there as I was more interested in seeing the sights. I've never heard of any photographic bargains on offer there. Maybe if you're looking for a compact camera you might be able to pcik up something but I'd imagine you would get the same item cheaper from online retailers like Pixmania et al.

Check the online prices before you go.

And if you are buying something there examine the goods before you leave the shop to make sure you've got what you paid for. A lot of these tourist destinations are notorious for ripping people off.

Regards,

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Actually, Gibralter IS part of the EU, but isn't part of the customs and VAT common area. So I presume the OP will be liable once he travels back into Spain from Gibralter.

I would have thought so too - that it's a spanish taxation/customs issue. However, have a read here.

I'd recommend a call to the revenue people on the taxation side of things because of the special nature of Gib and their customs status.

Interesting, though in their example 2 in the first link - digital camera @ 0% customs duty. Does show vat @ 21.5% due so it would appear you may have to pay VAT but no duty.

It also says;
    4. Duty-Free Allowances
    (i) General

You are allowed to bring in goods (including gifts, souvenirs, perfume and clothing) free of duty, the combined value of which does not exceed:

€430 in the case of an individual aged 15 years or over
    €215 in the case of an individual aged under 15 years

So if yourself and a spouse/partner were going you'd have €860 that you would be allowed.

Again, I'd recommend a call to the revenue people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

I would never dream of buying anything in Gibralter because that would mean having to set foot in the horrible dirty monkey infested kip!...
    Where are you going in Spain?
    Hmmm...see that's what I was afraid of, not wanting to be there! On the other hand...different folks...
    Carrigman wrote: »
    I've been to Gib a few times and would highly recommend it for a day out. I never did any shopping there as I was more interested in seeing the sights. I've never heard of any photographic bargains on offer there. ....
    And if you are buying something there examine the goods before you leave the shop to make sure you've got what you paid for. A lot of these tourist destinations are notorious for ripping people off.
    Thanks John, sound advice. I've just heard it's duty free, but maybe it's just booze and fags, so what's the point in that (I'm backpacking, can't carry crates of booze!)
    [snip]
    [snip]
    True, true ...
    I was also about to smartly point out that they're actually Apes, not monkeys, but apparently I was quite wrong :eek:
    but they're actually monkeys. Looks like the smarts are on ME ...
    So....are they apes or monkeys? Monkapes?
    steve06 wrote: »
    To be honest I didn't know Gibraltar was that cheap. I spend a good few weeks every year in the south of Spain and never thought of going over to buy equipment. Let me know how you get on...
    I'll update on my return!
    I'll check that out, but I would presume it's no different than Jersey/Livigno etc?
    Can we get back to the point of this thread...
    Aw, I wasn't learning anything about Gibraltar, but about monkeys I was learning lots! Or was that apes...:confused::confused::confused:
    AnCatDubh wrote: »
    I would have thought so too - that it's a spanish taxation/customs issue. However, have a read here.
    I'd recommend a call to the revenue people on the taxation side of things because of the special nature of Gib and their customs status.
    So if yourself and a spouse/partner were going you'd have €860 that you would be allowed.
    Thanks AnCatDubh. Not sure it's worth getting married for a cheap lens, but I'll think about it :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 eegeet

I bought my camera in Gibralter from a shop called "Carlos" (87-91 Main Street). Web:http://www.carlos.gi/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 levallat

I spend a lot of time there as our Spanish base is only 15kms away and there must be a reason why every second shop on main st is selling cameras ranging from little pocket ones to top of the range pro kit,and don't forget never pay the asking price as everything is negotiable also it's a great place to spend a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

gib is a good place to buy camera gear,its british,its in the EU,even has its own EU MP,everyone speaks both english and spanish,its cheap both the spanish and ex pats go there to shop,the barbary apes are macaque monkeys, has many of the british shops there,the only down thing is thats where my wife comes from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I was there in 2004, bought my 1st digital camera, a Sony P&S, you can haggle with the shop owners about price & extras ! You could always take the camera out of its packaging and 'pretend' its your 'carry around' camera IYKWIM ! Its a wierd (but interesting) place alright, and those apes will eat anything, literally take the 'snickers' out of your hand !! :eek::pac::pac:

Advertisement