Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OS recovery disc. Won't work..Help Please..

Options
  • 16-09-2009 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

So i was given a HP laptop and it had been wiped as it came from a company.
    So there was no OS. I installed ubuntu so that it would run, i hardly ever use it but now i want to use it for college but need windows so i can load Autocad onto it.

So i was given a OS CD but i am getting this message when i try to use it

Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.

Make sure anu hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.

Setup cannot continue. To quit setup,press F3.

Is there no drives cause i wiped it already?
    Or is this the wrong disk, maybe for a PC and not a laptop, is there anyway i could check that?

If anyone has any suggestion that would be great, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Depends, if the laptop has SATA drives and the OS disc is a Gold version (google it) then it won't have the SATA drivers, google is they friend,

What's the make / model of the laptop and I'll check for you.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Mikey One

It's a HP Compaq 6710b.
    Thanks

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2007/mobilitysummit/ds_6710b.pdf

Yup its a sata drive machine, you can add the sata drivers to a new OS install image and reburn it using nLite (google again) and it should work fine then.

MC

I disable ''SATA native mode''
    and it apears to be installing now :D.

I'll let you know in a while, thanks.

Yeah that is a feature of some chipset that mimicks the IDE interface for just such an occasion, it should install fine then update it to SP3 (I'm assuming XP) and then reenable the SATA native mode.

MC

• Advertisement

Everything working perfect.

Thanks so much.

Advertisement