Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What ISP is good in Maynooth?

• 16-09-2009 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭

I'm looking around for different internet providers and I'd like to get some advice as to which one to use. Anybody here use it? Which is fastest, cheapest, etc etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

UPC cable 20MB, I think that's available in Maynooth, I'd kill to have it. CHeck http://www.upc.ie They do a special 9 month contract for students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Nationalist

cian1500ww wrote: »
    UPC cable 20MB, I think that's available in Maynooth, I'd kill to have it. CHeck http://www.upc.ie They do a special 9 month contract for students.

I dunno....€50 a month is a bit much, even between 4 of us. The 10MB one is €38 a month, do you reckon thats fast enough for x box live?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Yes, that'd be fast enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭moggins7

UPC for definite! for 60 a month you get 20Mb net and digital tv. pretty good value!

and 10Mb is loads for XBL....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I dunno....€50 a month is a bit much, even between 4 of us. The 10MB one is €38 a month, do you reckon thats fast enough for x box live?

Dude 50 a month between 4 is 12.50 a month each, that's less than the price of one pint a week!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Stay away from ClearWire!

Get the 10MB if you want something cheaper, 4 people=2.5MB each which would be sufficient for XBL. 20MB means 5MB per person and that only applies when all 4 are using the internet at the same time.

Get the 10MB if you want something cheaper, 4 people=2.5MB each which would be sufficient for XBL. 20MB means 5MB per person and that only applies when all 4 are using the internet at the same time.

Ah no we'll probably only be on one at a time. Did the government ban UPC from going on pirate bay as well? I know they did to Eircom. Bastards.

Ah no we'll probably only be on one at a time. Did the government ban UPC from going on pirate bay as well? I know they did to Eircom. Bastards.
    Nope, UPC is safe for now, but there's loads of other such sites, can't link 'em or I'll get banned. 10MB will do ya grand, I'd love to have a connection like that, here in Leitrim the max I can get is 3MB :(

As much as it kills me to say it, Eircom is very reliable in Maynooth.

Possibly the only nice thing I've said about Eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

It doesn't actually split itself so gracefully :P

Get Age of Empires 2 to play over the lan.

It took a year of my life.

mp3guy wrote: »
    It doesn't actually split itself so gracefully :P
    Well of course not, depends on the bandwidth usage of each user but it's an easy way to explain it.

banquo wrote: »

ooo iv never played it over lan, not even online. Do you have to buy multiple copies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

banquo wrote: »

Great game that. "SPAM THE HUSSARS!!!!"

*que 200 horses invading some poor sods town"

naughty

Anima wrote: »
    Great game that. "SPAM THE HUSSARS!!!!"

*que 200 horses invading some poor sods town"

You can hack it for a population limit of 3,000, but the AI becomes 10 times stupider. If you can even imagine that.

*tell villager to build stable*
    *5 minutes later, villager heads towards building site*
    *villager stops halfway to building site*

Best leave it unhacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Heh, never heard of that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Use the o2 USB dongle myself. Speeds are decent, but with a 10GB download monthly cap it's quite restricting.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭moggins7

Mb people, we're not in Korea! :P

• Advertisement

moggins7 wrote: »
    Mb people, we're not in Korea! :P
    Lol, the ISPs don't even follow that rule :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

No UPC for Meadowbrook Lawn dwellers.... :(

S. Korea... they talk in terabytes ;_;

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭5Aces

in meadowbrook cresent, so eircom is the next best?

Sadly so. Quite reliable. Never had a problem.

Clearwire are the highest form of fail. ICE also is crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 kevwall

20mb is a unreal amount for the xbox, man i wud love to have that, wud give some serious ass kickings in cod4 then :P

Buying a decent netbook at weekend for a ton so will be looking to get internet next week. what package would you recommend with and without tv with eircom. Is EIRCOM like upc where you have wireless router or usb fob? in college any bother using torrent download software or download limit per connection?

And when i have netbook next week will i need to bother going to computer services or can someone tell me the necessary details to connect to college network?

If an ip blocker such as peer guardian is used how will that affect me connecting to Eircom or college network?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭cython

kevwall wrote: »
    20mb is a unreal amount for the xbox, man i wud love to have that, wud give some serious ass kickings in cod4 then :P
    That connection bandwidth won't make much of a difference to xbox live or internet gaming. The latency on that connection will be much the same as their 3MB service, and unless you're running some very badly written games (which probably wouldn't even make it onto xbox live in that case!), that 3MB would be more than enough bandwidth
    5Aces wrote: »
    Buying a decent netbook at weekend for a ton so will be looking to get internet next week. what package would you recommend with and without tv with eircom. Is EIRCOM like upc where you have wireless router or usb fob? in college any bother using torrent download software or download limit per connection?
    Torrent software is banned in the college, and it is blocked by means of internet access being routed through HTTP proxies.
    And when i have netbook next week will i need to bother going to computer services or can someone tell me the necessary details to connect to college network?
    Information on the college networks connection is available here, but I'm not sure that works from off campus.
    If an ip blocker such as peer guardian is used how will that affect me connecting to Eircom or college network?
    You mean an IP blocker on your computer? It will probably cause problems with the college network because PG blocks educational institute IP ranges by default, but not sure how it will affect Eircom

• Advertisement

I know a bunch of guys in DCU who rent out a server in Amsterdam between them. They download onto that then http its ass down.

Advertisement