Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sabre0O0O0O0O0O0O1 ... you're in the well!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    I don't think LANs in Ireland are aimed at the very niche market (i.e. the competitive gamer) because the market as it is, is limited (QuakeCon has space for 3,000 BYOC spaces but Dallas alone, not even Texas, has a population of 1.3million people - break that down proportionately to Ireland and you run into troubles...). Then there are two issues - a lot of people don't want to go to Dublin for events (I seem to get a lot of credit strangely for travelling from Limerick) while events outside of Dublin (and it's surrounding areas) are nearly destined to fail from the start!

What would you consider the main factor(s) behind the LAN scene being stagnant for the last 12-18 months in Ireland? If there was a big LAN in Ireland, what do you think would be the best way to go about it?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Following on from Kinetics question, should there be a mega-merge from the main LAN organisers in Ireland, to come together and show the world what Irish can really do? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    What would you consider the main factor(s) behind the LAN scene being stagnant for the last 12-18 months in Ireland? If there was a big LAN in Ireland, what do you think would be the best way to go about it?
    Following on from Kinetics question, should there be a mega-merge from the main LAN organisers in Ireland, to come together and show the world what Irish can really do? :D

Interesting questions. I think that because of increased expectations, some of the organisers may have just gotten fed up of it all - they don't make a profit after all and organising something takes a lot of time and effort. Then they get nothing but abuse for it half the time! And then, few people are willing to put themselves into the firing line (those that have flamed are particularly unlikely to do so - much easier to criticise....."fun too" /Simpsons).

There is also the amount that goes into organising a LAN at its most basics - dealing with hotels (and extortionate costs), getting all the equipment, the set up, the testing, the organising, the promotion, etc. You need a small army who are willing to do this (again, for free). Is the manpower there?

LANs haven't been able to counter the evolution of XBox Live & PSN. Not going to be helped by games such as Quake Live or Starcraft 2 that insist on connecting to the internet to get a game...People need to be made aware of the benefits of going to a LAN - how it differs (and is much better) to playing against Opponent X,Y,Z at home.

On the "Mega LAN" question - it's a tricky situation and one that has been looked at before. I read old threads but there is a lot of conflicting thoughts, visions and a fair degree of paranoia and ego - noone wants to reveal their sponsor contacts because then, your own resource pool becomes even smaller. Like in general eSports, everyone wants to be the one, the one who brings gaming into the light.

We're also still waiting on the large Midlans LAN // the CoOp effort between GameCon and MidLans that was rumoured...

A large LAN would be nice but I think the LAN scene within Ireland needs to be consolidated (or changed) first. Get some structure in place (timetables for example), coverage going, decide on the social / competitive mix, get all the technical and hosting elements down...and so on. Make the LANs run as well as we can for local players before we try and showoff to the world - for example, if SK-Gaming were to appear their fans would want to watch games / know what's going on; people at the LAN would want to see what they are doing (and there's only so much space behind a computer monitor - and somehow I doubt the pros are going to be too happy with people standing so they are leaning on their chairs!).

I don't think this is a question for me to answer though - I'm not a LAN organiser :D I can say a lot but who knows how realistic things are. There are things I would like to see and "ideal situations" / "ideal conditions" that I would like to see implemented but who knows how feasible it all is...

And again, LANs only get so much support - bottles of Lucozade are not going to pay for a hotel / prizes for top players / QuadV coverage, etc. Now Alienware computers to play tournaments on would help a little at least ;)

🤪

That it folks? Any more questions or have I irritated enough people? :D

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I recently got to playing Quake 2 online again as to my surprise Windows 7 can run it without any problems. I found 2 UK FFA Servers that are pretty much always full. I still know the DM1-8 maps like the back of my arse and can hold it up with the best of them, but I'm no where near as good as I was 12 odd years ago plus I don't have the time or inclination to become "ninja" again.

Would you ever contemplate loading up Quake2 again and have a good old blast ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

What do you do aside from gaming? hobbies etc.

Whats your top 3 films of all time?

Prince or Michael Jackson?

Any preferred comedy?

If you could choose to be a pr0 gamer at any one game aside from Quake what would it be?

Top 3 hottest celebrities?

Star Trek Deep Space 9 or Voyager?

TinCool wrote: »
    I recently got to playing Quake 2 online again as to my surprise Windows 7 can run it without any problems. I found 2 UK FFA Servers that are pretty much always full. I still know the DM1-8 maps like the back of my arse and can hold it up with the best of them, but I'm no where near as good as I was 12 odd years ago plus I don't have the time or inclination to become "ninja" again.

Would you ever contemplate loading up Quake2 again and have a good old blast ?

Bought it as part of the id pack on STEAM and keep meaning to throw it on for a while. Initially got the pack for Q3 so that distracted me more but I would be very tempted to give Q2 a bash once again :)

Jazzy wrote: »

What do you do aside from gaming? hobbies etc.

Well I work in HMV and on the website so that's a fair chunk of time taken up.

Outside of that I love listening to music (and as a result of my job, continue to go on spending sprees and finding new artists), reading (go through waves at the moment; favourite writers, or at least most current, include Matthew Reilly, James Rollins and John Twelve Hawks), and I'm a big sports fan - would like to play indoor soccer more and play Tag Rugby leagues. Follow Rugby and F1 most intently and still have an interest in Soccer, although it's dropped off a little over the years

Whats your top 3 films of all time?
    Hmmm. Films and me tend not to go hand in hand. Shamefully I have never seen what would be considered "the great movies". Might come back to this one but my movie background is fairly pitiful I have to admit!

Prince or Michael Jackson?
    Michael Jackson

Any preferred comedy?
    Old-school movies like Airplane, Naked Gun series or something by Mel Brooks. TV wise, I'll still throw on Friends because it's mindless, Scrubs up to Season 4 is great, Family Guy up to the Stewie Griffin Movie, American Dad and King of the Hill. Have gone through fits with other series or found some short-lived series endearing...but unfortunately I was the only one.

If you could choose to be a pr0 gamer at any one game aside from Quake what would it be?
    If I were blessed with the skills, despite the handicap of not playing it, I think Counter-Strike. Team based game that is well-suited as an eSport.

Top 3 hottest celebrities?
    Fondness for Alesha Dixon, Maria Brink (In This Moment) and Annelyse "Aya" Stefanowicz (Unsun) at the moment.

Star Trek Deep Space 9 or Voyager?
    Not a Trekkie, sorry :)

🤪

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Sorry to dig this up :P

Opinions on cross-platform gaming, and is there a potential for competitiveness there? I remember hearing months before the Team Fortress 2 release, Valve said it would be very easy to cross platform it, but decided it was best not to.

It's an interesting concept. With "Games For Windows Live" I was expecting the opportunity to play PC v XBox. Some games, it should work on - SF4, FIFA, etc. Only problem is that the PC sometimes gets the "lesser" game (people say that there are huge differences between FIFA for example). Racing games should also be fine.

It would not work with FPS games as the Dreamcast Quake 3 experiment showed (people cracked the servers and racked up massive kill numbers). Keyboard and Mouse will always be quicker and more responsive. You can get flick shots in any game, regardless of the speed of it. Game not fast enough? A PC player changes mouse sensitivity...Don't think pad players could compete on the same plane.....though I am open to being proven wrong :D

🤪

Advertisement