Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 5800 31.0.008 ireland

• 16-09-2009 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

the meteor forum administrator said you can download the new firmware on the Nokia website.
    on the Nokia website, the Nokia Software updater wont allow the phone to be updated. it claims that v21.0.025 is the most up to date one available.
    Any idea when Ireland will get the latest firmware v31.0.008.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

puzzled wrote: »
    the meteor forum administrator said you can download the new firmware on the Nokia website.
    on the Nokia website, the Nokia Software updater wont allow the phone to be updated. it claims that v21.0.025 is the most up to date one available.
    Any idea when Ireland will get the latest firmware v31.0.008.

it's nothing to do with ireland, it's your network operater or region varied.
    euro1 normally gets upgrade first, if you have a network branded phone then it's up to them to release it, or you could unbrand it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

It depends on the 'product code' set in the phone. You can change this using a program so you will always get the latest available updates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 puzzled

forgive my ignorance, but if i use a different 'product code' than the one printed in the battery department will i loose all of the setting that make the phone work on the meteor network.
    is there a chance it will brick the phone.
    regards branding, it is a new meteor phone, it does not seem to have any meteor specific icons on the screen like what you see on a vodafone handset.
    does this mean its not a branded meteor phone, just locked to there network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

puzzled wrote: »
    forgive my ignorance, but if i use a different 'product code' than the one printed in the battery department will i loose all of the setting that make the phone work on the meteor network.
    is there a chance it will brick the phone.
    regards branding, it is a new meteor phone, it does not seem to have any meteor specific icons on the screen like what you see on a vodafone handset.
    does this mean its not a branded meteor phone, just locked to there network.

It wont delete your settings changing the product code. Its quite easy to do, some people have bricked it, put a hard reset normally resolves the problem. just do a backup before, so if you have to hard reset it, you can restore all your data and settings.

Phones don't always have a logo on the cover, but they can have different software that the network has requested/ modified for their version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 haymachine

I just rang Vodafone support there, and currently (22/10/09) they say that their team hasn't yet approved the update, and that there isn't any indication of (a) when they will, or even (b) whether they will or not.
    So I asked that a request for the update to be approved be escalated to the relevant team.

I guess it's a similar story for meteor, so my suggestion is for people to do what I did with their mobile operator, ie put pressure on them to release the updates more quickly. The more people do this, the quicker we might see updates being approved...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Just download nss and change your product code then get the new firmware. You don't lose any apps or settings. However, i did a hard reset and then re-downloaded just the apps i wanted. The phone gets the right apns automatically and now it runs perfectly. No more strange crashes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

So is the euro 1 product code the best one to change to for latest software etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

I think 'Davy' posted instructions in the big 5800 thread about 2 pages from the end. You won't regret it. It will invalidate your warranty though, but I've not heard of anyone having done this and then having to test the warranty support.

"Originally Posted by Davy
    Ye sorry, only remembered after i posted it. Heres a start then, download nss from here: Link
    Connect the phone, do your backup with nokia pc suite just encase.
    Then open nss and click the search button, top right corner.
    Now should show your phone.
    Then click 'Phone Info' tab.
    Enter the new product code in the box on the right to replace the old one.
    Then mark “Enabled” and click on “Write” button.
    Your product code should now be changed.
    You can search for the phone again, and click read to confirm the code has been changed correctly.
    Now update your software using FOTA or using software updater app in nokia pc suite

Nokia 5800 XpressMusic product codes:

Current version available: 31.0.008

0558982 Euro1 RED
    0559360 Euro1 BLUE"

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭StaunchyDJ

Would the British Isle not be more suited to us? I'm also running a thread on dailymobile.se about the whole approving of Firmware shannanagins. I've been onto Meteor, whom I'm now tied to for 12 months and they have said that if the update is available all over the world then we should have it. They've said that it's Nokia holding it back and vice versa with Nokia. I've been onto Meteor the last month now trying to find out what the hell. No one in the whole company could find out why they haven't released,, soooo, I'm doing up a few questions to put to both Networks and Nokia to try get a definitive answer. Each reply from either Nokia or Network will be passed onto the other so as they might start working out the problem. Meteor say it's Nokia and Nokia say it's them, who the hell is it? I shouldn't have to debrand my phone, it voids the warranty for 1 and 2 I shouldn't have to! If the Firmware is goin to do any damage to their system or setup then how can people who visit our green isle with 5800's on V31 haven't already messed the system up?

Sorry for the waffle on :-P

www.dailymobile.se is great for all you 5800 needs, have a gander it's quiet usefull and safe for a change ;-)

Advertisement