Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours extension eye sore

Options
  • 16-09-2009 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

getting really peed off looking out the back garden at an unfinished extension in my eyes.

Basically our estate has a colorfull scheme and whats annoying me is that this guy has painted the front and far side of his extension but not my side. Same with a huge house/shed hebuilt out the back all painted except my side.

looks awful

there is also a leak coming from new extension which leaves a black line all down the house paintwork just before my fences start.

I have knocked in and asked but he is not the kinda person u can approach.

Is it part of the planning permission that it has to be finished to a proper standard ie painting? anything i can do

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭TirNaNog.

Yes you could paint it for them.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I don't think you can make people paint their houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭TirNaNog.

or if you really wanted to appreciate their new extension ,you could hold a mirror in front of your window and instead of the sight of the extension you would see a reflection of your grumpy mush,then you would be glad to see their extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

i never said i wanted to make them. can i paint it myself i didnt think i could

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

well looks like google is on my side.

Condition That all external finishes harmonise in colour and texture with the existing premises. REASON: In the interest of visual amenity. NOTE: In the event of encroachment or over-sailing of the development onto adjoining properties the written consent of the owners shall be obtained first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Plant hedgeing on your side so you cant see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

blahblah06 wrote: »
    well looks like google is on my side.

Condition That all external finishes harmonise in colour and texture with the existing premises. REASON: In the interest of visual amenity. NOTE: In the event of encroachment or over-sailing of the development onto adjoining properties the written consent of the owners shall be obtained first.

You should check with your Local Authority planning office if that "visual amenity" reason only applies to the view from the street. It may not apply to the view from your back garden. For example you're not allowed to erect a satellite dish at the front of your house but you can at the back or side so long its below ridge height.

Advertisement