Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Wexford River Python

Options
  • 16-09-2009 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone heard if the Phyton was died and was just dumped in the river OR do they reckon who could have been released alive by its owner?

Comments

It was released live I think..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Heh??:confused::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ArthurGuinness

seems strange at it being malnurished would have thoughth that if it were released that there would be plenty for it to eat in the form of rabbits, rats etc there is no shortage of either in Ireland the weather would have eventually killed it alright. I reckon it was dead or very nearly dead when it was dumped, but what the hell do I know!

Can someone explain please??!

The fisheries board or someone like that were out doing checks on fish stocks in the slaney just outside enniscorty and caught a 10ft dead rock python in thier net or somrthing along those lines (no pun intended)

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0915/python.html

• Advertisement

Wow!

I dont have the paper as i'm in dublin, so i didnt know about it.

I can see the film already though. It'l star Lorcan Allen and Samuel L Jackson, and be called "Snakes in a river", or "That's a quare big snake boy!" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

There should be a restriction on the importation, breeding etc of these dangerous animals - according to a news report that I heard today no licence is required. The same sort of macho idiot owns pythons that has Pit Bull terriers - my opinion not a fact. The news item also pointed out that a similar snake had recently killed a small girl in the USA/UK (?) her guardian is now being charged with manslaughter or something similar. Sorry for being so vague but there is so much insanity with the keeping and disposal of dangerous animals these days that I pay little attention any more. :mad:

Wow!

I dont have the paper as i'm in dublin, so i didnt know about it.

I can see the film already though. It'l star Lorcan Allen and Samuel L Jackson, and be called "Snakes in a river", or "That's a quare big snake boy!" :D

Or Snakes On a Slane - y:D

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Can someone explain please??!
    Sorry DrummerBoy08, I should have included news article in my original post. It was on RTE News and all radio station news when the story broke because it was so unusual so I assumed everyone would have known about it.
    There should be a restriction on the importation, breeding etc of these dangerous animals - according to a news report that I heard today no licence is required. The same sort of macho idiot owns pythons that has Pit Bull terriers - my opinion not a fact. The news item also pointed out that a similar snake had recently killed a small girl in the USA/UK (?) her guardian is now being charged with manslaughter or something similar. Sorry for being so vague but there is so much insanity with the keeping and disposal of dangerous animals these days that I pay little attention any more. :mad:

Here is the news article you are talking about :
    Mother of toddler strangled by python charged with manslaughter - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/6091591/Mother-of-toddler-strangled-by-python-charged-with-manslaughter.html

I don't know much about snakes myself to be honest just curious about them since it is so local and I like watching Snakes on WildLife programmes on TV. From reading the article above it would seem that death by pet snakes is very rare in the US which has a bigger population than us in Ireland, which is good to hear.

I really hope they capture the fool who owns this snake and prosecute that person for been irresponsible.
    Even if the snake wasn't release deliberately and had escaped, the owner should have been responsible enough to notify the authorities so they are aware of it.

From listening to the last word yesterday on Today FM they had a pet expert from Donegal who runs a sanctuary (http://www.donegalpetrescue.com i think) and he was saying that Snakes are a master at escaping. So you need to be a diligent pet owner to have one.

It would be good to hear from a snake owner to hear their point of view on what they think of this story.

- BFG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

I keep two snakes one is a royal python and the other is a corn snake .
    I don't however keep pitbulls and wouldn't consider myself a macho idiot either just for your information.
    These animals are no more dangerous than half the stray dogs in the country that ramble around killing sheep and not too many have licences for them either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Sorry if I was OTT on this one and I 'm sure that you're not a macho idiot but I remain to be convinced about the majority of owners of dangerous animals. The type of people that I notice 'in charge' of dangerous/powerful dogs around here would fit into that category. Do you need a licence for your snakes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭sallysaucer

I find this so strange... a lot of people were swimming by there during the summer and i take part in rowing all along the river Slaney. There is always a lot of activity up and down the whole way from Enniscorthy to Wexford.

How come no one spotted it before???

My thinking is that it was malnourished as it had been kept as a pet and didn't know how to hunt for food. I'm not a big snake person but its so so cruel....!!!!

Advertisement