Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Roof Rack for High Top Camper

• 16-09-2009 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,

I have recently acquired a VW T25 camper. I am looking now for a roof rack that will fight on the side of the camer roof rail and that will hold surf boards. I have seen a couple of vans with these so I assume they are out there. I just have not been able to find them yet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Something like this?
    02121-WestfaliaTraegernurSeite.jpg
    (example for newer VW California or Ford Nugget)

That unfortunately requires fixing screws already laminated into the high roof, which your roof probably doesn't have.

You could always drill a few strong bolts through your roof (side and top), counter them on both sides with a stainless plate, seal them really well and bend a carrier to your requirements. My old camper had it done in this way and the bolts were water tight for years ...I never had the carrier for it though.

Depending on the shape and make up of your roof however it may not be strong enough to support such a carrier, so this strategy could be a bit risky:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Just got a high top camper for surfing and have a side rack - made by a friend of mine, he's made a few for other friends as well so that probably what you've seen. If you go to an engineering work shop they should be able to make one for you. Mine is basically two L shaped brackets with bars running between them to make it more ridged.

We use a hole saw to cut four clean holes in the inside of the van so that we could fix directly onto the shell of the van and used long bolts large washers, nylock nut and nylon standoff to fix it to the van, all sealed with silicon. Will fix the holes in the inside soon once I've has no problems.

Just back from France and saw one there that when it wasn't in use folded back fat against the side of the van.

I'll take a photo when I get a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Damascena

thanks for the replies. I am reluctant to go drilling into the roof myself and ideally I was looking for something that didn't involve drilling into the camper! But looks like that is the only option.

Spacehopper can you recommend any engineer workshops that would be willing to do work like this? and what price range does it come in at? Perhaps your friend could start a little business on the side doing these racks! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 W00LEY

Hi,

Looking to put a side rack on my camper in the next few weeks. Has anyone done this recently or got one on their camper? I would like to discuss design so I don't make a hames of it

Cheers

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

If you're building your own then it'll be a case of whatever suits you're needs really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Happy Harry 55

Currently considering how to carry two kayaks on our motorhome/camper van. Problem is how to get them up on & down off the roof. Any ideas/advice out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

If they're going on the top of the roof, then try a ladder for the back door.

Advertisement