Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rar file help

• 16-09-2009 7:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

Im having soom trouble with my Toshiba satellite l400 running vista.

I rebooted there last week or so now when I download a music or anything. I get a prompt screen saying you have chosen to save "file name" which is a rar file what should firefox do with this file? Save file? I click that then just an endless list of programs open to choose from, no matter which one i choose the file downloads then I click open it says cannot open file??Any thoughts pleases dont know what I done cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Winrar

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Im no expert, but a program called Winrar opens rar files, I think they are just compressed files, in a similar way to zip files. But there will be much better informed posters after me Im sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Im no expert, but a program called Winrar opens rar files, I think they are just compressed files, in a similar way to zip files. But there will be much better informed posters after me Im sure.

yeah I downloaded winrar and still the same:confused:

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Spot on.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

fox007 wrote: »
    yeah I downloaded winrar and still the same:confused:
    Right click the file and then select "open with", then look for winrar.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

• Advertisement

kenon wrote: »
    Right click the file and then select "open with", then look for winrar.

Got an error message component .lavopebutton.ocx or one of its dependencies not correctly registered a file is missing or invalid:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

make sure you download BEFORE you save.

Maybe the file is corrupt

are you sure you are using vista? "error message component .lavopebutton.ocx or one of its dependencies not correctly registered a file is missing or invalid" sounds a bit like a linux message

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,593 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Bob Z wrote: »
    make sure you download BEFORE you save.

Maybe the file is corrupt

are you sure you are using vista? "error message component .lavopebutton.ocx or one of its dependencies not correctly registered a file is missing or invalid" sounds a bit like a linux message

I don't quite think Linux would complain much about Windows specific files being absent.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,593 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Got an error message component .lavopebutton.ocx or one of its dependencies not correctly registered a file is missing or invalid:confused:

Can you get a screenshot of exact message. I suspect the correct filename refers to a Norton AntiVirus component.

Did you get it from here? That's their official website, I'm wondering if what you downloaded is really WinRAR since I don't think that file has anything to do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Sounds like your Active X component may have become corrupt as an OCX file is to do with object linking and embedding. It is a control extension for the OLE.

It could also just be the site that you are downloading your music from. Are you using torrents or is this from a legit source?

Edit: Looks like I might be right. Been looking it up and a few other people have solved it by redownloading and installing the relevant ActiveX component from HERE

Edit 2: I attached the file below.

Soundman wrote: »
    Sounds like your Active X component may have become corrupt as an OCX file is to do with object linking and embedding. It is a control extension for the OLE.

It could also just be the site that you are downloading your music from. Are you using torrents or is this from a legit source?

Edit: Looks like I might be right. Been looking it up and a few other people have solved it by redownloading and installing the relevant ActiveX component from HERE

Edit 2: I attached the file below.

Think your right sound man I use nokia music.If I reboot my laptop will that solve my problems??? great help lads thanks

Edit i went to http://www.pcpitstop.com/testax.asp it said active is not supported by my browser firefox??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Think your right sound man I use nokia music.If I reboot my laptop will that solve my problems??? great help lads thanks

Edit i went to http://www.pcpitstop.com/testax.asp it said active is not supported by my browser firefox??

Try using internet explorer, allot of companies don't support firefox by only providing a active x component, meaning you must use IE :rolleyes:

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

get '7z' instead for all yer zip/rar files.

kaimera wrote: »
    get '7z' instead for all yer zip/rar files.

Tried that now I dont know where Im at with 7z. I just want to download my music and play it with out all this s+*.If I restore my laptop will it solve my trouble I have an external hard drive so.

I rebooted there last week or so now when I download a music or anything. I get a prompt screen saying you have chosen to save "file name" which is a rar file what should firefox do with this file?
    I just want to download my music and play it with out all this s+*.If I restore my laptop will it solve my trouble I have an external hard drive so.

What I dont understand is why the music you would be downloading is in "*.rar" format? Rar is a compression standard. Is it like an album you are downloading?

Anyway, "rars, zips, cabs etc" can be opened with winzip, winrar, 7z, powerarchiver among others. If none of them work for you then there is something really wrong.

Depending on the filetype of the song you want the play it'll be itunes, windows media player, sonicstage, winamp, itunes etc etc.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

Advertisement