Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chapelizod Parking

Options
  • 16-09-2009 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭

So,
    got an apartment with the missus in Chapelizod. A place I've wanted to live for years.
    However, there is an issue with parking.
    On street parking is all we have and apparently we cannot be classed as residents as we live in an apartment.
    What this means is that, theoretically we have to pay for pay and display from 7am to 12pm outside of our front door..
    What the fcuk is the story here. You can only pay for an hour, its costs nearly €1 an hour so it'd be cheaper buying a house in dalkey by the end of the year :rolleyes:.
    Anyone any familiarity with this system. Is chapelizod a clampers dream? I get the impression they are rarely if ever seen. What's off main street parking like? Can I rent a space (none on Daft)

Anyway around this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

DeadParrot wrote: »
    So,
    got an apartment with the missus in Chapelizod. A place I've wanted to live for years.
    However, there is an issue with parking.
    On street parking is all we have and apparently we cannot be classed as residents as we live in an apartment.
    What this means is that, theoretically we have to pay for pay and display from 7am to 12pm outside of our front door..
    What the fcuk is the story here. You can only pay for an hour, its costs nearly €1 an hour so it'd be cheaper buying a house in dalkey by the end of the year :rolleyes:.
    Anyone any familiarity with this system. Is chapelizod a clampers dream? I get the impression they are rarely if ever seen. What's off main street parking like? Can I rent a space (none on Daft)

Anyway around this?

Sorry to sound smart, but didn't you research the parking situation at all before you bought?

Don't know if theres a lot you can do if the council won't give a you resident permit..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I'm baffled Chapelizod is somewhere you've always wanted to live for years? Exactly why I'm not sure. Perhaps because I've only ever been stuck in traffic there, I find it a miserable place with poor facilities. Do you live on the road going up to Knockmaroon Hill?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Chapelizod has the river and the park and a nice stock of old houses and proximity to goodish schools. However apartments were thrown up at a fierce rate over the last few years.

As to your question, I'd advertize locally that you're looking to rent a space. People would be delighted for the extra monies. One parking ticket is about what you would pay for a months rent ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭sn00ps

What makes you think you are not a resident?

I would suggest you contact DCC and check this with them. I have lived in apts in the past and had parking permits. All you need for a parking permit is proof of residency in the area like a utility bill.

This doesn't make sense to me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

sn00ps wrote: »
    What makes you think you are not a resident?

I would suggest you contact DCC and check this with them. I have lived in apts in the past and had parking permits. All you need for a parking permit is proof of residency in the area like a utility bill.

This doesn't make sense to me

if you look at this it spells it out.
    Heavy demand zone, more than 4 units in the building made for apartments means you aint eligible.
    http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/Parking/ResidentsParking/Pages/BuyAPermit.aspx

Yeah, I reckon we'll go down the rent a space route. The owner was extolling the virtues of on street parking but only when I digged a little did all this come to light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭beeno67

How do you know if you are in a high demand or low demand Zone? I wouldn't have thought of Chapelizod as a high demand zone

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Anyway around this?

Did your aparment not come with a space? An option to buy one? I know that there is a lot of vacant car parking spaces in underground car park in the Village.

Parking (and the apartments) have destroyed the village. I'm glad its pay and display and resdients car parking.

My grand parents can now park realtively close to their house with out having to worry two much about all day parking any more.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

On a side note I just remembered a conversation I had with a DCC official in charge of introducing pay and display.

DCC did a survey of unoccupied car parking spaces in the area.

Based on the level of occupancy the number of car parking spaces provided under the planning application there is sufficient car parking spaces to facilitate the apartment complex in the village. The developers sold the apartments and spaces separately. Many appear to be unsold and DCC are trying to force developers to give up these spaces. Not sure at what stage this is at but might make live easier.

kearnsr wrote: »
    On a side note I just remembered a conversation I had with a DCC official in charge of introducing pay and display.

DCC did a survey of unoccupied car parking spaces in the area.

Based on the level of occupancy the number of car parking spaces provided under the planning application there is sufficient car parking spaces to facilitate the apartment complex in the village. The developers sold the apartments and spaces separately. Many appear to be unsold and DCC are trying to force developers to give up these spaces. Not sure at what stage this is at but might make live easier.

that would be a welcome change.
    I've nothing against residents parking per se, it just seems silly that depending on where you live, you arent the right type of resident.

kearnsr wrote: »
    Parking (and the apartments) have destroyed the village.

I sort of agree, but houses down there are still WAY overpriced

• Advertisement

that would be a welcome change.
    I've nothing against residents parking per se, it just seems silly that depending on where you live, you arent the right type of resident.

If you look at the planning for the apartments each aparment came with the option of a car parking space. By nothing buying one you give up your right to residents parking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

What about car sales garage, beside that I think there is a possibility to park there

which end are you in?

john47832 wrote: »
    What about car sales garage, beside that I think there is a possibility to park there

which end are you in?

I've seen cars clamped by the Toyota dealers.

Both my parents come from there and my grandparents live there still

godtabh wrote: »
    If you look at the planning for the apartments each aparment came with the option of a car parking space. By nothing buying one you give up your right to residents parking

an update :)

The place HAS a parking spot assigned to it but the lanlord never bought the space. This means that all i really need is a fob, and I'll deal with the issue of legality if it arises.
    I got the landlord to take a good few quid from the rent to cover parking as well.
    I've been using neighbors fobs to get access to our space but obviously that isnt ideal

Advertisement