Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rifle Licence for 16 year old

Options
  • 16-09-2009 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hey everyone,
    this is my first post, I have just put a deposit on a CZ 452 .17 HMR in a local hunting store and I was just wondering is there any chance that I will be turned down in my licence application?? I have been around guns all my life and have fired rifles, air rifles, shotguns and even handguns, I have done the NARGC proficiency course, I've never been in trouble with the law and I am joining the local gun club! However, my aunt's husband, who's twice my age and who lives in another district was recentley turned down for a large deer rifle because he had no expierience!!!! This has led me to believe i may be turned down, but how do they expect me to legally get expierence if I can't have a licence!!!!! I would appreciate any sugestions or expierience before I fill out the form, thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭CZ.

i dont think the nargc cover you for a rifle (could be rong )their course is on shotguns 2

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Welcome .17 hmr,

Firstly you seem to be on the right path and taking all the necessary steps. Well done on doing the ground work. Alot of lads ask about what you are asking about but fail to realise the work needed and soon their interest dissappears.

Your uncle was looking for a deer calibre rifle. By its very nature its a centrefire. You are trying to buy a .17hmr. This along with .22, .22wmr etc are all rimfire rifles. They are nowhere near as complicated to get a licence for but its still not a given. You said you have done a course on proficiency, safety etc. That combined with your application for gun club membership should be all thats required. Hold off till you get your membership. It will be easier.

When you have your club membership number fill out the FCA1 with your personal details, details of the gun, medical, referees (use other family members that shoot or club members that can vouch for you) etc. Under section 2.5 "proof of competence" fill out details of your NARGC course. If you have receipt number, course number etc give it.

Under section 3.5 "secure storage". I presume you are living at home (ma & da). You will need a note of consent from them to have the gun stored at their address. If its the first gun in the house my advice would be to get a 2 gun safe. Not dear. Its not compulsory for 1 unrestricted firearm but its good for your own peace of mind.

Section 4.2 "reason why this type of firearm is required". You want the gun for the purpose of vermin control. Tick the hunting box and explain on a seperate sheet of paper that its for vermin control on club land.

I can't see there being a problem with the application, but under the new rules you will be told why you were refused. You can fix the issue they refused the application under then re-apply.

Don't get too caught up in being turned down. You have every right and chance as everyone else. Fill out your forms and best of luck.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

ezridax wrote: »
    my advice would be to get a 2 gun safe. Not dear. Its not compulsory for 1 unrestricted firearm but its good for your own peace of mind.

It's certainly worth having for peace of mind but it is in fact also compulsory for a rifle. A single shotgun can be secured with a trigger lock - anything else needs a safe.

Jut after reading back through the SI and guidelines and never noticed the "shotgun" part. It doesn't really clarify things. It says about one unrestricited shotgun is level 1. One restricted or three or fewer non restricted firearms is level 2. Well, one .17 rifle is fewer than three and is non-restricted so does it come under level one or two. You say 2 and i've no reason to disagree. Its just not very clear is it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

It's level two alright (three or fewer non restricted firearms) by virtue of it being a rifle. Only a shotgun can be level one and only then if it is not restricted.

• Advertisement

I knew about the shotgun, but you'd think for clarification purposes they would write "1 non-restricted rifle must have gun safe". No room for misinterpetation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Killguru

I applied for a shotgun licence last year when i was 16 and after a while i was denied. But only because i was too young and the super said i would have got it if i did a safety course or be a year older.

So now, a year older i got it, no safe or any of that crap. I think youll get it since you have the safety course done, thats all their really lookin for if your 16.

Just a word of advice don't mention ANY illegal activity on boards. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

At age 16, you were not too young (legally at least).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Killguru

Sparks wrote: »
    At age 16, you were not too young (legally at least).

If thats me you talking about Sparks, yes i wasnt too young but he still wanted a safety course. Its understandable since they couldn't just hand out licences to every 16 year old. For all he knew i might never have held a gun before. (although i dont see how being a year older makes a differance :confused:)

Also i was talking to a man at a clay pigeon ground and he said from what he hears all the young lads are being asked to do safety courses nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

I applied for my first license when I was 17 for a CZ .22WMR and had no issues whatsoever.

However at the time my dad had 2 guns licensed and it was understood that most of the time he would be accompanying me but this was not put as a restriction on the license.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Killguru wrote: »
    So now, a year older i got it, no safe or any of that crap.

Yeah, crap isn't it, expecting a basic safety course &/or a safe to ensure secure storage of a firearm :rolleyes:
    Fabulous attitude to have at 17 regarding firearms.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

I was a couple of days over 16 when i went into the station with my application. No safety course done. Had plenty of land to shoot on(fathers), but the sergeant wanted me to join a gun club, so i did and that was the end of that.:D

Advertisement