Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Considering buying external flash. Advice please!

• 16-09-2009 9:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

I am using a Canon 450D and am thinking of buying an external flash. I know absolutely nothing about these and don't even know if I really need one. This might be just a flight of fancy. Because of this I don't want to break the bank. I am considering either of these 2 as they are not hugely expensive.
    Sigma EF 530 DG ST or Canon Speedlite 430EX II. I have read some reviews of both, and both fare well.

Can someone advise on which I should go for, and why. The Canon is about €100 more expensive than the Sigma.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I have the sigma nikon version. I used the canon once via strobe and couldnt figure it out but just because I was not used to it. Honestly if you had the extra I'd say canon, your flash is almost as much as an investment as your camera, a vital piece of equipment.

You may get more from canon users though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

If you dont need one, dont buy one. What do you shoot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

Thanks Keith. Maybe I don't need one. Over 90% of what I shoot would be outdoors. I just fancy treating myself to some piece of kit. I only have a few lenses: kit 18-55, 50mm 1.8, and a Tamron 18-270 zoom. I have a few filters. Can you recommend something else I could get that might be more useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Landscapes? get a tripod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Well if you don't feel like you really need anything right now don't feel pushed into buying stuff just for the sake of it.

If you've a few hundred squid burning your pockets why not spend it on a weekend away in Europe somewhere instead of a flash you'll rarely use? That's what I'd do anyway, there are loads of places I'd love to shoot :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Digital Photography have a feature and comparison on external flashes in this month's magazine. Probably is worth reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

I've a flash for my Oly, goes everywhere with me, I know I don't use it that often but when you need it, you really need it.

FWIW, I've heard really good things about Metz flashes, thinking of going for the 58 myself when the time comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I would advise you to buy the Canon flash as it communicates with your camera and you WILL use it in the future. Even outdoors on a sunny day it can be used while shooting people who are backlit with the sunshine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    I would advise you to buy the Canon flash as it communicates with your camera and you WILL use it in the future. Even outdoors on a sunny day it can be used while shooting people who are backlit with the sunshine.

Very true. When I shoot a wedding on a cloudy day I rarely if ever use my flash, I dont use flash in churches at all and only use it for a wedding if it is a super bright sunny day and I have to fill shadows in the faces. There will always be a time you will be grateful for it though.

For landscapes though its a tripod you need not a flash as said above.

Advertisement