Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hijacked Steam Account

Options
  • 16-09-2009 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Hey lads/Ladies

Any idea how to get details about someone that hijacked your steam account.

I got it back but took a week. :mad:

I have his friends list but looks to like they may be hijacked aswell as they all seem to have only been playing for about 1 week?

Cheers
    DB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Yeah i know how to do that just pm your user name and password and I'll get the info for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭DevilsBreath

Yeah i know how to do that just pm your user name and password and I'll get the info for you...

Hang on i'll just do that, would you like my bank details aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Wait! Don't send him any details, he's just joking. But if you send me your details plus and credit card numbers I'll do it! :D

Seriously, as far as I know there's no real way to do it. Gearbox might be able to get the IP address it was used from and track the guy that way, but I seriously doubt they'd bother.

humanji wrote: »
    Wait! Don't send him any details, he's just joking. But if you send me your details plus and credit card numbers I'll do it! :D

Seriously, as far as I know there's no real way to do it. Gearbox might be able to get the IP address it was used from and track the guy that way, but I seriously doubt they'd bother.

No prob, thanks for the info.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

These scammers work by taking over an account, deleting your friends list and then adding other scammed accounts to the friends list - so its not too much to go by. Why do you wish to find out who exactly scammed your account?

More importantly, have you scanned your system to ensure no keyloggers are present?

• Advertisement

Hey,

Ye the system should be fine, but will check again.
    Would just be interested in tracking him down and his mates.

I dont take kindly to people taking my stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

These scammers work by taking over an account, deleting your friends list and then adding other scammed accounts to the friends list - so its not too much to go by. Why do you wish to find out who exactly scammed your account?

More importantly, have you scanned your system to ensure no keyloggers are present?

Whats the most common form of scam that these people would use do you know ? Just so others know what to look out for

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Honestly though, say you find out its Vladamir Arshavin from Russia who stole your account, what are you going to do, hope Mick O'Leary starts offering cheap flights to Moscow so you and a few mates can kick his head in?

Yeah its not cool getting your account nicked but i dont understand what you want to come out of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Yeah its not cool getting your account nicked but i dont understand what you want to come out of this?

Someone once scammed me on Ebay. After some research I'd tracked down his previous username, forums he used with that username, got his name then found his address (you would be surprised the paper trail you leave online)

Looked him up on google maps, figured out where the local PD was and called them. Was some hick town in Arizona. I let them know that the person xxx living at xyz was frequently scamming people online through Ebay (and a few other "buy and sell" sections on some forums) and that he probably wasn't declaring any of this money.

They said they'd look into it and I left it at that. Ebay wouldn't give me my money back, and I guess I didn't want it, I just wanted this guy to have the police breathing down his neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Honestly though, say you find out its Vladamir Arshavin from Russia who stole your account, what are you going to do, hope Mick O'Leary starts offering cheap flights to Moscow so you and a few mates can kick his head in?

You can do what that Irish guy did when some Nigerians scammed him out of his money. He went to Nigeria to hunt them down. Granted, they just kidnapped him and extorted more money from him, but it'd make a great thread for the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Whats the most common form of scam that these people would use do you know ? Just so others know what to look out for

Most use trick websites to try and get you to enter your details on them, they are usually a replica of the Steam Community websites.

Perhaps more worrying is the use of keyloggers and suspect file downloads to read your Steam account details.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Most use trick websites to try and get you to enter your details on them, they are usually a replica of the Steam Community websites.

Perhaps more worrying is the use of keyloggers and suspect file downloads to read your Steam account details.

Op didn't have a key logger or use a site. I'm curious as to how they managed to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,298 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

He never said he didnt use a site.

At least once I have stumbled across a Steam Community duplicate. Fortunately Norton IPS and Firefox let me know when im really where I ought to be. Double-reading the URL youre at helps too.

as a precaution scrub all of your existing passwords.

Op didn't have a key logger or use a site. I'm curious as to how they managed to do it.

There are other alternatives to keyloggers that unfortunately may not be picked up by any anti-virus/spyware application.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

There are other alternatives to keyloggers that unfortunately may not be picked up by any anti-virus/spyware application.

training_taft1.gif

Old school ways?

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

I had mine hacked took about the same time to get it back had a bunch of new "friends" thing was I hadn't used steam in months. It was only that I got an email saying my pass and emaill addy were changed.

For those of you who have not verified your Steam email address, you should do so.

Steam Account Email Verification

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

For those of you who have not verified your Steam email address, you should do so.

Steam Account Email Verification

Jesus I've had my account for years, and it wasn't verified. And the email address I had it tied to wasn't that secure, so I changed it.

Now if anyone does somehow manage to get either password, I'll be very surprised.

:€

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Overheal wrote: »
    He never said he didnt use a site.

At least once I have stumbled across a Steam Community duplicate. Fortunately Norton IPS and Firefox let me know when im really where I ought to be. Double-reading the URL youre at helps too.

as a precaution scrub all of your existing passwords.

I live with him. We both work in IT for a living and would be capable of spotting a dodgy site or key logger very quickly.

Jesus I've had my account for years, and it wasn't verified. And the email address I had it tied to wasn't that secure, so I changed it.

:€

The feature was only implemented a week or so ago.:)

More security changes are in the works.

• Advertisement
Advertisement