Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ultra Wide Zoom on 5D MkII?

• 16-09-2009 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

I'm currently weighing up the Canon 17-40L vs the Sigma 12-24.

They're both pretty much at my budget.

Be interested to hear any experiences or thoughts on these 2 with full frame.

Are there other lenses I should be considering (in budget - about €800)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sasar

According to this17-40 is a lot better. On top of that it's f/4 against f/4.5-5.6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

17-40L, super lens and more than wide enough on the 5d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I have both and they are very different lenses. The 17 isn't what I would call "ultra wide" in comparison to the 12-24. The 12-24 feels like a real wide angle the 17-24 doesn't. Both are excellent lenses though you have to be careful with the 12-24 @ 12mm to avoid distortion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

i've had the 17-40 and now use the 16-35 and find on my full frame either lens wide enough for almost anything. 12mm on a full frame is really a novelty that most people would actually very rarely use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

My head says the 17-40l also. Covers wide to normal. I'd generally have more QC faith in Canon vs Sigma. Still, 12mm - I know there are times when I'd love that focal length.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I find it surprising that Canon dont do anything to match their EF-S 10-22 with an EF fitting.

its a fantastic lens.

Can you put a UV filter on the 17-40L that doesn't cause vignetting on full frame?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Eirebear wrote: »
    I find it surprising that Canon dont do anything to match their EF-S 10-22 with an EF fitting.

its a fantastic lens.

they do, ef 16-35mm f2.8L

10mm X1.6=16mm, 22mm X1.6=35mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭mervifwdc

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    Can you put a UV filter on the 17-40L that doesn't cause vignetting on full frame?

yeah, but I think you need to get a slim one.

I use a polarising filter on mine from time to time, and it will vignette when shooting at 17-19 or so. but only slightly. and a polarising filter is pretty deep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

It's a great lens, I love mine... highly recommended!

• Advertisement

budget won't stretch to the 16-35 I'm afraid.
    Maybe if I wait 6 months...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭houseoffun14

The 17-40 is a very good lens and is reasonably priced. I use it for 95% of my work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

cool, just looked it up there....now how do i go about justifying to the Mrs that i need a MkII AND this!? :D

Advertisement