Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Note to Posters in this forum

• 16-09-2009 9:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Your local mod is away for a little while and in his absence I'm modding the forum. I've had to lock a number of threads here, some are unsuitable and others while well-intentioned have been giving advice that could be construed as medical advice. Please read the charter if you are unsure of what is and isn't allowed.

When the regular mod returns I'll have him look over locked threads and if he wants to open them that's cool.

In the meantime, regular users please use the report post button if you see something that needs attention. Thank you. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

I don't know if I am allowed to comment on another thread in this forum, but I just wondered about the thread that was locked because users (including myself) were giving information about the different types of counselling/therapy that are out there. The thread was locked and the OP was directed to go to their GP.

While I don't disagree that the OP should go to their GP, my feeling is that the information provided in the thread was vastly more detailed than what a GP could give - GPs do not know anything about the different types of therapy out there. This is not a criticism of them, it is just not their job. They tend to recommend CBT because of the strong evidence base behind it, which is great, but they might not have a lot of information about the alternatives for people who are not interested in CBT.

Perhaps this is the wrong place for me to post this, but I think it's interesting.

I completely agree that people shouldn't give advice, but I also recognise that this forum does contain a lot of experts in the field, who would know a whole lot more than a GP about what different therapies involed (although of course it is hard to be sure who has this training and who doesn't!)

Not trying to be antagonistic, and not asking you to change anything. Just interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

No problem, genuine question and I'm happy to answer.

1. I felt that some posters had answered the OP's question extremely well (e.g. hotspur). Following that there wasn't much more to be said other than read this and go to your GP with this information...

2. Your own reply was excellent and informative. Again, Enough information was given to the OP to make a decision.

3. I don't like when people say things like:
    however i will say you should check your diet and medical history to make sure that isnt the cause.
    The above could be construed as a recommendation for self-diagnosis. (see the charter)
    i suffered with candida for a long time and was depressed for no "apparent" reason. i used to tell my doctor i didnt know why i was depressed i had everything going for me at those times. i just was.
    so sometimes health problems can cause symptoms like depression.
    'symptoms like depression? Depression is an illness, not a symptom. Did the poster mean 'symptoms similar to depression'? It's all speculation anyway.

Also, the linking of Candida infection as a cause of depression. Candida infection has been shown to be higher in depressed patients. This appears to be as a result of a weakened immune system. Depression can cause poor immune function that can lead to Candida infection (opportunistic pathogen). Candida has not been proven to cause depression in any literature I've read.

4. The OP had entered into PM correspondence with a responder and I saw no further use for the thread.

My warning to be careful was based on one particular reply, I think you can guess and to cover boards.ie in case the person made a judgement on who to see from posts on the thread without further consultation with a doctor and then came back to sue boards.ie in the future saying 'boards.ie advised me to see x,y,z and I'm unhappy with the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

Thanks for your reply. I forgot about that post, and yes I totally agree with everything you said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

r3nu4l wrote: »

'symptoms like depression? Depression is an illness, not a symptom. Did the poster mean 'symptoms similar to depression'? It's all speculation anyway.

Depression is a medical symptom - clinical depression is an illness.

You can feel a bit down/depressed if you are eating a crappy diet and getting no exercise - this is not obviously the same as suffering clinical depression.

Can I ask if you have any psychology qualifications, r3nu4l?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

eth0_ please take it to PM as you have with other threads already. As a mod you will know that querying moderation on-thread is a no-no. I allowed it on one occasion but I won't allow it continue.

/thread

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement