Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Full licence on my 17th birthday??

Options
  • 16-09-2009 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi,
    I've heard people saying that if I apply for a provisional drivers licence now, while im 16, and hold it for 6 months before my 17th birthday, i will be aloud to apply for a full licence immediatley on my birthday, but i am finding this hard to believe, any truth to it??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Unless it's for a small motorcycle, you won't be able to get a Learner permit until you are 17. You will then have to wait 6 months before sitting a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Leman-Russ

Only if the full license you want is for a small motorcycle or a agricultural vehicle.

However once you pass a test for any class of vehicle you don't have to wait 6 months before applying for any subsequent tests once you have the relevant permit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 .17 hmr

so your saying if i get a tractor licence now that when i turn 17 i can get a learners permit and as soon as i recieve that i can apply for a full licence??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Leman-Russ wrote:
    However once you pass a test for any class of vehicle you don't have to wait 6 months before applying for any subsequent tests once you have the relevant permit
    Except for category E+B which oddly requires a 6 month wait.
    .17 hmr wrote: »
    so your saying if i get a tractor licence now that when i turn 17 i can get a learners permit and as soon as i recieve that i can apply for a full licence??
    You may apply for a motorcycle or works vehicle Learner Permit at 16. When you are 17 you may apply for a category B Learner Permit (if you pass the theory test first). You will then have to wait six months before doing the category B driving test.

If you pass a driving test in a category, you will be given a Certificate of Competency. You may then apply for a Full Licence in that category.

Advertisement