Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Camper overheating?

• 16-09-2009 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Fiat Ducato 1993 camper.
    Recently purchased the above and notice that the temperature gauge is raised when driving. Passed the DOE with no probs and just wondering is it normal for this to happen? Not overly high, not in the red or anything, but on the high side of normal..... Any advice or opinons folks?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

Not to familiar with were is norm on the gauge,it could be a case that this is normal,but if people think that it is a little to high,there should be a bleeder screw probably plastic somewhere handy on the pipe comeing out of the expansion bottle,maybe bleed it a little,it could be a bit of a air lock...(the water will be hot,be carefull)........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭salamander27

Had trouble with my car engine getting hotter recently. Turned out the rad was well blocked. I wet the fins of the radiator and ran the engine till it was warm and saw only half of it dried off which suggested the rad was only half working. The car had been sitting unused for about a year and the rad rusted inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

bhaneasa wrote: »
    Fiat Ducato 1993 camper.
    Recently purchased the above and notice that the temperature gauge is raised when driving. Passed the DOE with no probs and just wondering is it normal for this to happen? Not overly high, not in the red or anything, but on the high side of normal..... Any advice or opinons folks?

Where exactly on the guage? If its a turbo D , it should run about 80 odd , non turbos run higher , up around 90-95 . The bleeder for the system is on a pipe , mounted beside the expansion tank . A plastic thumbscrew/wingnut .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

thetyreman wrote: »
    Not to familiar with were is norm on the gauge,it could be a case that this is normal, but if people think that it is a little to high, there should be a bleeder screw probably plastic somewhere handy on the pipe comeing out of the expansion bottle, maybe bleed it a little, it could be a bit of a air lock...(the water will be hot,be carefull)........
    I'm not a mechanic so I'm certainly open to correction, but my guess is the lower the better, can't imagine bleeding would do any harm. Opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭boyoh

Check your thermostat..........................b

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

Richie15 wrote: »
    I'm not a mechanic so I'm certainly open to correction, but my guess is the lower the better, can't imagine bleeding would do any harm. Opinions?

(if people think this is a little high)what i mean is the people that are familiar with this engine,is it commom for this engine to run high on the gauge.We know that the lower the temp runs the better..:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 41 bhaneasa

Appreciate all the feedback on this.
    Took it up to the local mechanic today and it turns out that the needle on the thermostat is a bit giddy! Fan comes on in time, we checked this. The thermostat seems to be sensitive to everything, i.e - wobbles a bit when changing gears, switching from dipped beams to headlights.
    Mechanic fairly confident all is well so here's hoping everything is ok.
    Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

I would change thermostat and get rad checked as a precaution anyway.... the gauge runs from a temp sensor screwed into the water system somewhere... this temp sender sounds faulty from your description..

All of the above before getting a head test done.. and GL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

thetyreman wrote: »
    (if people think this is a little high)what i mean is the people that are familiar with this engine,is it commom for this engine to run high on the gauge.We know that the lower the temp runs the better..:eek::eek:
    Yeh I took it for granted that's what you meant, that's why I made sure to say I'm not in the know. But I was just wondering, out of curiosity mostly, if it could do any harm to go ahead and bleed it anyway, or would that just cool it down more...

Advertisement