Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester united versus Manchester City sun 1.30pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

JPA wrote: »
    It's not Jamie Redknapp is it?

Nah. Jamie Redknapp can't spell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

More than a touch OTT tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

As the goal was scored Hughes went up to the 4th official pointing at his watch and yerman pushed him away

about 20 seconds later there was this great shot from behind Hughes where you can see Fergusan and the 4th official sharing a laugh. Thought that must have been the most infuriating thing in the world for Hughes

Would love to know what was being said

I presume something along the lines of "cheers" might have been in order :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The 6 minuted of injury time came from:

4 mins was advised.

Then city scored and ate into it. So he added more.

United also made a sub during injury time which would need to be added on.

5 anda half or 6 mins isnt wholly unreasonable.

Whats the problem?

The problem is that time is not always added on for substitions during the added on time period. Time is not always added for goals during the added on time period. There is inconsistency in the application of these rules, and people's confirmation bias after a game like this leads them to believe that Utd are net beneficiaries of such officiating deficiencies.
    smashey wrote: »
    A quick question to City fans here; If the result was reversed with the goals scored at the same times, would you still be giving out about it?

Meh, if Utd had been on the wrong end of such a goal that deep into stoppage time I guarantee their fans would be whinging about it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

fkt wrote: »
    Hope all the plane crash fans are happy with themselves tonight.

RUINED FOOTBALL.

Nothing will change until ferguson has died a painful one.

We're at nothing trying o achieve something while the corrupt old gin soaked c*nt is in our sport.

****ing shambles

Sorry, but we're all enjoying a reasoned discussion on one of the best games the EPL has ever seen.

Kindly take your rubbish elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

In all honesty what this match proved to me is:

1. United still have the quality to challenge for the title this year yet again

2. City have gelled quite quickly and no matter what anyone says have a great chance of cracking the top four this year.

Cant see how anyone can run down de Jongs performance, himself Given and Bellamy were all superb today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

That was a great game to watch as a neutral.

United really dominated the second half and I think deserved the win in the end.

Fletch and De Jong were definitely the two best players on the pitch.

I can see why there will be monaing about the amount of added time but it's easy enough to see where it came from.

1 minute for Bellers celebration and 30 seconds for the Carrick -> Ando subsitution

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

2589ogw.gif

the first of many i'm sure....

great game, some awful mistakes on uniteds part but one of the best games i have seen in a long time

A quick question to City fans here; If the result was reversed with the goals scored at the same times, would you still be giving out about it?

Absolutely not, but I'd still be questioning the legitimacy of the whole thing in the greater scheme of it all.

Back to the discussion.

I dont think it is fair to say De Jong had a bad game.... He had an excellent 1st half. Barry though was anonymous other then the goal. Really was a cracking game but physically sick that Owen scored the winner! God I hate that man :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Something that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread, is that Craig Bellamy's two goals were very, very good. His second was an awful mistake from Ferdinand, but Bellamy took it very well.

Giggs is a fantastic player though. That pass to Owen, in the 95th minute, was brilliant. He should've been MoM, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭goddevil

I can't believe all this hassle about United being an unfair advantage with the extra injury time..4 mins of added time means that there should ATLEAST to 4 mins of added time but it comes doen to the discretion of the refrees.... It was perfectly justified if you take Bellamy's goal celebrations and the substitution tbh...

And why does everyone moan about just United... Haven't you all been watching Chelsea's games this season and their late late winners?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Personally i would say there was probably too much time played, but i'd say it was about 20seconds too long - City spent close to a minute celebrating the equaliser and then 30seconds is supposed to be added on for the Carrick sub too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Meh, if Utd had been on the wrong end of such a goal that deep into stoppage time I guarantee their fans would be whinging about it here.
    And I would have aske the same question of them.

And I would have aske the same question of them.

Seems a bit pointless to me, but knock yourself out sure.

Personally i would say there was probably too much time played, but i'd say it was about 20seconds too long - City spent close to a minute celebrating the equaliser and then 30seconds is supposed to be added on for the Carrick sub too.

Personally I thought it was all over when Ireland headed that Rooney free kick away. That's when the time was really up, even allowing for the goal and sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Kirby wrote: »
    Would Richard Dunne have allowed Fletcher to score two headers like that?

Maybe not but good old Dunne would of headered them in himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

As a fan of neither side i think it's fair to say United deserved the result over the nearly 96 minutes but the added on time was more evidence of the absolute bias shown by officals towards United at Old Trafford in particular. You could actually see the forth offical smiling and sharing a joke with ferguson after United scored their 4th. Not shocked in the least and i expect nothing us usual will come of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Personally I thought it was all over when Ireland that Rooney free kick away. That's when the time was really up, even allowing for the goal and sub.
    To my mind also I would have also felt the same, it did seem to go on and on.

• Advertisement

Tom65 wrote: »
    Something that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread, is that Craig Bellamy's two goals were very, very good. His second was an awful mistake from Ferdinand, but Bellamy took it very well.

Giggs is a fantastic player though. That pass to Owen, in the 95th minute, was brilliant. He should've been MoM, in my opinion.

Agree with all of the above. Bellamy has really raised it this year, showing a lot of mental toughness to play better when there is such fierce competition for places. And he's a bit of a legend off the pitch, so I'm happy to see him doing so well.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Agree with all of the above. Bellamy has really raised it this year, showing a lot of mental toughness to play better when there is such fierce competition for places. And he's a bit of a legend off the pitch, so I'm happy to see him doing so well.

Yeah just don't play golf with him and you'll be grand! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

One of the reasons Bellamy has never got has much recognition as he probably should is because he's Welsh and not English. Simple. All in all though, he's still hard to like :)

Bandit12 wrote: »
    As a fan of neither side i think it's fair to say United deserved the result over the nearly 96 minutes but the added on time was more evidence of the absolute bias shown by officals towards United at Old Trafford in particular. You could actually see the forth offical smiling and sharing a joke with ferguson after United scored their 4th. Not shocked in the least and i expect nothing us usual will come of it.

It is also a little galling to know that you've seen similar scenarios before where Utd are defending a lead and Ferguson has been waving his watch in the air and remonstrating with the fourth official. Now I know that is inevitable, but the double standards that managers / fans / players apply all the time are so silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

goddevil wrote: »
    I can't believe all this hassle about United being an unfair advantage with the extra injury time..4 mins of added time means that there should ATLEAST to 4 mins of added time but it comes doen to the discretion of the refrees.... It was perfectly justified if you take Bellamy's goal celebrations and the substitution tbh...

And why does everyone moan about just United... Haven't you all been watching Chelsea's games this season and their late late winners?

It's an issue when the discretion is fully used in favour of one team. Whatever oddball mathematics utd fans used to convince themselves it was legit. You can bet your house that if it was 3-2 after 90, added time would be 2 mins max!

Refs discretion plays a large part in games at OT no question. Even Evra's free kick, the city player got the ball. And the time wasting after utd got their 3rd. All these incidents tilt the balance in favour of utd. The added time was just the icing on the cake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Personally I thought it was all over when Ireland headed that Rooney free kick away. That's when the time was really up, even allowing for the goal and sub.

While I'm sure you can understand i'm delighted he didn't blow it up then - I agree it should have been blown up then - i certainly expected to hear the final whistle at that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭goddevil

marko91 wrote: »
    man city scored BEFORE the man showed his board for how much added time!...typical typical united:rolleyes:

Yeah but ET's are decided BEFORE the board is shown.. And that did not take the goal into account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

+1 for the Bellamy praise. He was a real pest. At 1-0, 2-1, 3-2 and hell, even at 4-3 he looked like a dangerous option. Has improved drastically since he moved to City, not just this season, end of last year too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Robbed this off another forum

Bellamy scores at 89:55, after the four minutes were signalled. Play wasn't restarted until 91:01 (1:06 time wasted). We won a corner, Anderson was subebd for Carrick (30 seconds). That gives us a total of 1:36 over the original four, and Owen scored at 95:28 (ie 8 seconds short of this).

Case.. CLOSED.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

While I'm sure you can understand i'm delighted he didn't blow it up then - I agree it should have been blown up then - i certainly expected to hear the final whistle at that point.

I know Man U bashers will probably batter the ref for not blowing at that point but I think he was actually giving City the chance of a counter attack having just allowed Utd what everyone thought would be one last chance. It just so happened they squandered possession and the rest is history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    +1 for the Bellamy praise. He was a real pest. At 1-0, 2-1, 3-2 and hell, even at 4-3 he looked like a dangerous option. Has improved drastically since he moved to City, not just this season, end of last year too.

It's not just the move to City, it's game time, he was like this for Blackburn under Hughes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Brien

this match showed that United still have problems in defense. When everyone is fit we're solid, but the depth of the squad doesnt stretch that far down the pitch. Foster is good, but there needs to be a world class replacement for VDS.

city played well on the break, and were obviously up for the game. they will probably be up there with pool, and ar$e, but its between chelsea and Utd for the top spot IMHO.

a good win, no matter what jamie redknapp says later :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

only1stevo wrote: »

Bellamy scores at 89:55, after the four minutes were signalled. Play wasn't restarted until 91:01 (1:06 time wasted). We won a corner, Anderson was subebd for Carrick (30 seconds). That gives us a total of 1:36 over the original four, and Owen scored at 95:28 (ie 8 seconds short of this).

Case.. CLOSED.

Man Utd forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

One of the reasons Bellamy has never got has much recognition as he probably should is because he's Welsh and not English. Simple. All in all though, he's still hard to like :)

I thought he was great at Newcastle and Blackburn, but a bit rubbish at Liverpool and West Ham. Looks like he's gone back to his best at City.

dobsdave wrote: »
    Man Utd forum?

perhaps, but you cant argue with the numbers, they are all, as a certiain FSW would say, Fahhcts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

perhaps, but you cant argue with the numbers, they are all, as a certiain FSW would say, Fahhcts.

That doesn't help your argument, but are right the numbers add up the time played was correct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Perhaps? I asked if you got it from a Utd forum.
    I didn't argue anything.
    Thanks for the pre-emptive strike though;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

My fracking nerves, I've only just come down from that. Epic, epic game of football. On the balance of play (in the second half, the first was pretty evenly contested) you can't begrudge United the win, though frustration from a City pov is understandable considering the circumstances around the last goal (though possibly not as bad as the frustrations had two points been dropped to Rio's brain-fart).

I don't think today was going to be any defining barometer of City's progress - form and standing often go out the window on derby day regardless. Even though they didn't play particularly well in the second half, they had some heroes - Bellamy and Given in particular. For United, I think it was Giggs' best performance in quite some time. We've seen him roll back the years on a few occasions (like against Chelsea at OT last season) but today he was on another planet. Fletcher also continued to show why he's fast becoming United's most important midfielder.

Case.. CLOSED.

And only 16 seconds were added on after United's winner.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Case.. CLOSED.

I thought you couldn't stop the clock after the 90 minutes, hence why subs in extra time are used as a time wasting tactic.
    In that case all that could have been added was the last 5 seconds of the 90 mins after Bellamy scored !

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

All that money that City spent and all Mark Hughes needed to get some time for an equalizer was a ten euro oversized stop watch from Argos.

• Advertisement

True

Case.. CLOSED.
    Funny that as when United scored the referee added on only about 10 seconds :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

A great game and a great win for Man United. Sad to see all the bickering over the time played. Both teams played the same amount of time afterall!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

A great game and a great win for Man United. Sad to see all the bickering over the time played. Both teams played the same amount of time afterall!

Well said, the better team scored in the dying seconds to win the game. If City scored it would have been a great result and there would only be half the posts in this thread. Both teams played well today but again, Fletcher being the difference for United and the Blue side of the city kept quiet for another while!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

Case.. CLOSED.
    Bandit12 wrote: »
    Funny that as when United scored the referee added on only about 10 seconds :rolleyes:

When Owens goal came in there was 8 seconds left to play (see above).

Therefore the ref was really favouring Man City by playing those two extra seconds. Disgraceful stuff!

:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Ha you luckboxes, sick i missed it. Game of the season so far?!?

raido9 wrote: »
    When Owens goal came in there was 8 seconds left to play (see above).

Therefore the ref was really favouring Man City by playing those two extra seconds. Disgraceful stuff!

:rolleyes:
    So when City scored the ref added on 1 minute 6 seconds for the celebration and when United scored he adds on 16 seconds? Yeah that's just fine and dandy so.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

CHD wrote: »

Easily.

Im not a lunchbox. YOUR A LUNCHBOX!:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

For me it was.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Advertisement

Without doubt. Had everything.

Advertisement