Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester united versus Manchester City sun 1.30pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

That game took a good ten years of me life.

Fantastic result, John O Shea and Rio did their best to lose it for us, but bellamy took his chances well. Shame we will have to put up with city in the headlines for another week over the incident.

I really wish berbatov would learn to header at an angle.

Still 9 points from Arsenal,Spurs,City is a great result.:)

You blame John O'Shea for the 2nd goal and yet Ben Foster isnt mentioned anywhere in your post?

Odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Mark Hughes - "Historically it has happened before. I was in teams here where we always had a little bit of benefit. I never felt it was an issue when we played here. "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    You blame John O'Shea for the 2nd goal and yet Ben Foster isnt mentioned anywhere in your post?

Odd.

Lol I thought it went without saying. :P He tends to make mistakes when under pressure, but his defense are far more experienced than he is at this level and they made it difficult for him.

Lol I thought it went without saying. :P He tends to make mistakes when under pressure, but his defense are far more experienced than he is at this level and they made it difficult for him.

He is young (VERY YOUNG for a goalkeeper) and nervous. He will be an outstanding goalkeeper in the future, but right now we need Edwin's wise old head in between the sticks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Mark Hughes - "Historically it has happened before. I was in teams here where we always had a little bit of benefit. I never felt it was an issue when we played here. "

Really silly, stupid and spiteful thing to say..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

He is young (VERY YOUNG for a goalkeeper) and nervous. He will be an outstanding goalkeeper in the future, but right now we need Edwin's wise old head in between the sticks.

he is 26, will be 27 by the end of the season!?

Cech & Reina are 27.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

He's 26... Not exactly a spring chicken.

I doubt he will ever be Uniteds number 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Me neither he's making too many schoolboy errors for a keeper of his age. I wouldn't be surprised if VDS is offered another 1 year deal or Fergie buys a new keeper next summer. He's supposed to be looking at Schalke's keeper IIRC who's being tipped as the Future number 1 for Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

nope wont be

cant wait to see VDS back and i reckon the defenders too

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    he is 26, will be 27 by the end of the season!?

Cech & Reina are 27.

:eek:

Jesus. The babyface on him! Honestly i thought he was 23, i dont know where i got that from but i just never checked it out.

Puts a different perspective on things for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

didnt think he was quite that old myslf till i checked.

not good enough imo. not surprising that Utd have been linked with a few goalies in the last few months.

not good enough imo. not surprising that Utd have been linked with a few goalies in the last few months.

Today was a big day for him. Unfortunately he undid alot of the good work he had done in the past few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Headshot wrote: »
    nope wont be

cant wait to see VDS back and i reckon the defenders too
    I dont mind Foster getting this run. Yes, he was at fault today for 2 goals but he has been quite good of late. Two misjudgements.

VDS doesn't fill me with confidence and he has had quite a few bad runs were his performances have been on the crap side.

And kuszczak's kicking is crap too.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

kenon wrote: »
    VDS doesn't fill me with confidence and he has had quite a few bad runs were his performances have been on the crap side.

In the 4 seasons Edwin Van Der Sar has been at Manchester United i cannot think of one mistake that has lead to a goal for the opposition. I am open to correction on this, but off the top of my head ive got nothing.

I dont know where people get the idea of VDS as a dodgey keeper. He got the UEFA Goalkeeper of the Year award last year and Premier League team of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Didn't see this anywhere else.

4028903485-20092009153724.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

In the 4 seasons Edwin Van Der Sar has been at Manchester United i cannot think of one mistake that has lead to a goal for the opposition. I am open to correction on this, but off the top of my head ive got nothing.

I dont know where people get the idea of VDS as a dodgey keeper. He got the UEFA Goalkeeper of the Year award last year and Premier League team of the season.

Anfield last year??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Hopefully we learn from our mistakes after Schmeichael and spend big on a keeper soon. It's arguably the most important position to get right.

Yeah he has been dodgy. His kicking isn't as good as it was. (I remember when I could barely tell which was his strongest foot). He flaps all the time under crosses. I noticed this started happening more when he got a bad boot in the face. And on stopping shots lately, he seems to let the ball pop out more and more. I do be on the edge of my seat whenever he is in goal and thats not the good kind of edge of the seat.

But he is a great communicator. Thats something...

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

zAbbo wrote: »
    Didn't see this anywhere else.

Not even in this thread?

Fair play to Bellamy imo, any idiot that comes into the field deserves that.

only1stevo wrote: »
    Anfield last year??

Yep, theres one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Smashing game. United should have thumped City really. We gifted them 2 goals goals and they still got nothing from the game. At times it was like the Battle of the Alamo with General Given keeping the team at bay.

Michael Owen has already justified his signing with that goal. Fletcher had a terrific game and Ireland again struggled to impose himself in a game whilst up against Fletcher. Shows how underrated the Scot is.

Foster was at fault for both goals and I just can't see this guy making it at Old Trafford in the long run. Tevez did well for City's first goal but was largely anonymous in the second half.

Great game and a big result. One thing that did annoy me though was the reception Mark Hughes got. City boss or not he's still a United legend and I noticed one clown giving him the finger as he walked to the dugout. That muppet should have been ejected from the stadium on the grounds of pretending to be a United fan. Delighted Tevez got a frosty reception though.

Fergie's still the king. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Des wrote: »
    Not even in this thread?

Fair play to Bellamy imo, any idiot that comes into the field deserves that.

Musta missed it, bit of busy thread :)

One thing that did annoy me though was the reception Mark Hughes got. City boss or not he's still a United legend and I noticed one clown giving him the finger as he walked to the dugout. That muppet should have been ejected from the stadium on the grounds of pretending to be a United fan.

100% agree. Whats the bets that guy will play as Man City in Football Manager 2010?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Smashing game. United should have thumped City really. We gifted them 2 goals goals and they still got nothing from the game. At times it was like the Battle of the Alamo with General Given keeping the team at bay.

Michael Owen has already justified his signing with that goal. Fletcher had a terrific game and Ireland again struggled to impose himself in a game whilst up against Fletcher. Shows how underrated the Scot is.

Foster was at fault for both goals and I just can't see this guy making it at Old Trafford in the long run. Tevez did well for City's first goal but was largely anonymous in the second half.

Great game and a big result. One thing that did annoy me though was the reception Mark Hughes got. City boss or not he's still a United legend and I noticed one clown giving him the finger as he walked to the dugout. That muppet should have been ejected from the stadium on the grounds of pretending to be a United fan. Delighted Tevez got a frosty reception though.

Fergie's still the king. :cool:
    great post, absolutely fantastic game. Thank you Michael Owen! I don't blame City fans for being upset with how the game ended (I know I would be) but everyone knows that in stoppage time every stoppage is added on at the end. It was similar in one Liverpool game last season iirc and has profited City in the past according to Gillingham fans on SSN...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    the double standards that managers / fans / players apply all the time are so silly.

yeah

I particularly hate this one.

Team is two goals down with a few minutes to play. They pull one back and the scorer retrieves the ball from the net and brings it back to the centre of the field himself.
    Wouldn't do it if they weren't behind by two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Unearthly wrote: »
    LOL

Think about it for a bit, and then it might finally click.
    I did think about it. City scored and by the original posters stats 1 minute and 6 seconds where added on into injury time for the celebration. When Utd scored in injury time the ref added on 16 seconds after play restarted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Bandit12 wrote: »
    I did think about it. City scored and by the original posters stats 1 minute and 6 seconds where added on into injury time for the celebration. When Utd scored in injury time the ref added on 16 seconds after play restarted.

meh if you can't see what I'm saying then there is no hope. It's a dull tedious subject anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Today was a big day for him. Unfortunately he undid alot of the good work he had done in the past few weeks.

I wouldn't write off Fosters chances yet. He made a few mistakes today, the obvious one for the first goal, he''ll not do that again or if he does then it could be curtains for him. Bellamy should not have beaten him from that angle for the second goal, from a goalkeeping POV that was the most dissapointing.

Foster has just stepped up a level and needs to be given time to adjust. As long as he remains confident he still has a chance of progressing. He has made some good saves in recent games . I wouldn't write him off yet or criticise him too much either. Keepers can take longer than outfiel players to mature and show their full ability. Anyone remember Calamity James in his younger days?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

How long is Foster expected to be playing for? I think he has potential tbh, but just needs to clean up his act a bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I reckon Foster's days are numbered now. Fergie was pretty scathing of his performance in the Community Shield and the fact he nearly cost United a derby win will have done him no favours. Foster clearly has ability but I don't know if he has the nerve to make it at the top level when the pressure's on. He strikes me more and more as a Paul Robinson type of goalkeeper. A lot of expectation was on his shoulders and he couldn't hack it.

When VDS returns I think he will be consigned to the bench and I imagine next season another keeper will be bought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Great match, top goal from Owen.

Giggs is a fooking animal of a player.

The commentary mentioned it was a bad week for Rio Ferdinand internally in the club, he didn't expand. Anyone know what he ment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

RE the keeper situation.

I said on numerous occasions the true value of VDS will only be realised when he is gone.

When he eventually does go, Fergie needs to splash the cash 20m+ on a world class replacement.

Boggles wrote: »
    RE the keeper situation.

I said on numerous occasions the true value of VDS will only be realised when he is gone.

When he eventually does go, Fergie needs to splash the cash 20m+ on a world class replacement.
    I'd agree with that even though I think he's slightly passed his best.

The defense/team seems to play better with him there.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

em no

this is a falcon punch

the%20falcon.gif

Jesus brian i expected better from you:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Just watched MOTD2, can someone explain where Gary Neville ran to after the 4th goal? Why did he run directly to the Citeh fans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

how was that a free to united at then end? only saw it once but it looked like a free to city...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Melion wrote: »
    Just watched MOTD2, can someone explain where Gary Neville ran to after the 4th goal? Why did he run directly to the Citeh fans?
    STUPID Question. He did that because hes Gary Neville, Worlds biggest dickhead. Want to see more of him, check him out on youtube when he wouldnt shake Scmichels hand in the tunnel when he came back with another team., The guy is a twat, alway has been always wil be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

1 second :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

MOTD2 - Correct injury time is 5:26. United got the goal after 5:27 seconds. Would have been a shocking call from the ref to blow it up as Owen wnt to shoot. (Yeah, it was a shocking call against Cole this weekend)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

City were clearly robbed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Boggles wrote: »
    RE the keeper situation.

Talk of Neuer in January.

Since when did we start adding time on for celebrations though? I've never heard of it anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Smashing game. United should have thumped City really. We gifted them 2 goals goals and they still got nothing from the game. At times it was like the Battle of the Alamo with General Given keeping the team at bay.:

Only saw the goals now on motd.

City did their own share of gifting aswell. Free headers all over the shop and the defender looking at Owen standing in the box for his goal , only reacting after Giggs passed it and still nearly got there. If he'd been awake he'd have comfortabley got in ahead of Owen and at least put in a challenge.
    Melion wrote: »
    Since when did we start adding time on for celebrations though? I've never heard of it anyway

When Utd need it. :P

They just never used to try justify free extra time at5 OT before.:)

Talk of Neuer in January.

Yes please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

well there is no fifa rule to add on 30 seconds for a sub, the ref is supposed to add on the time the substition actually took. semantics though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

For those who missed it, they showed the video on MOTD of Bellamy's altercation after the match ended.

Pretty stupid thing for him to do :eek:

A pitch invader came on and was caught by the stewards, only for Bellamy to walk over on his own, and shove yer man in the face ! I mean he had no reason to go over, it wasn't even close to him, he had to walk all the way over just to do it.

He didn't hit him or anything, but it was just mind boggling that he'd get involved at all !

Also pretty disgusted at whatever c*nt threw the coin at HT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

city haven't been in it at all second half apart from bellamy's goal. i reckon utd will bring owen on and that substitution will either win them or lose them the game.

Nostradamus? ;)

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

for those that didn't see it, another pic for the bitters to foam at the mouth over.

picture.php?albumid=527&pictureid=3902

:eek: :cool: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

bellamyslap.gif

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement