Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester united versus Manchester City sun 1.30pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Mr Alan wrote: »
    You asked for a link as to why i thought he would be earning similar amount to he did at Newcastle if clauses etc are met (on top of people knowing he is all about the £££), i provided it for you. Should have known that wouldn't be enough.

Good day to you sir!

To summise you were bullshíttíng about Owens Contract/Wages while at the same time having a pop at a professional footballer liking money. Wow Shocker Al. Wonder can you continue this form all week or are you just peaking early.

Say it with me.

I have no idea what I am talking about in relation to Owens contract.

Rinse and Repeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Who cares what Owen is getting paid?

If Michael Owen gets 100 grand for yesterdays work, then I personally don't give a ****. The three points mean he is worth it.

As long as he doesn't get 100 grand for no work, and no goals, its fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

in actual fact, a few people were bull****ting about Owens contract, i weighed in with my opinion, which you didn't like.

funny how when Utd fans are speculating amongst themselves about Owens tiny wages & heavily incentive based contract, this passes without comment from you, whereas when i comment you on it like a fly around ****e.

Who cares what Owen is getting paid?

If Michael Owen gets 100 grand for yesterdays work, then I personally don't give a ****. The three points mean he is worth it.

As long as he doesn't get 100 grand for no work, and no goals, its fine.

and this ^^^ is the correct answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The issue with the time added on is not so much that it was technically incorrect (it seems to have been technically correct), but that time added on simply isn't added on like that in most cases. It is very unusual to see a ref stick to the rules like that. While it was right (maybe) it is the inconsistency of application that annoys people.

:confused: SO the injury time added was correct but the ref shouldn't have added it on because ref's don't usually stick to rules. Is that it yeah?

What has annoyed people here is that United scored in injury time, if it had been City injury time would not be an issue. It has nothing to do with half baked notions of ref's not sticking to the rules on inconsistancies with the amount of time added.

• Advertisement

in actual fact, a few people were bull****ting about Owens contract, i weighed in with my opinion, which you didn't like.

funny how when Utd fans are speculating amongst themselves about Owens tiny wages & heavily incentive based contract, this passes without comment from you, whereas when i comment you on it like a fly around ****e.

No one has ever suggested on here that his wages are any where near the level he was on at newcastle.

Except you Al.

For the last time, do you know anything about the details of Owens contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

ROCKMAN wrote: »

PS how many bookings where there are they not stoppages ?

I know there is a strong case being made for the amount of stoppage time but if we were to go down that road for justification it would be takin the piss.

Boggles wrote: »
    For the last time, do you know anything about the details of Owens contract?

do you?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I know there is a strong case being made for the amount of stoppage time but if we were to go down that road for justification it would be takin the piss.

As your the only City fan I know, and you can normally be fairly fair when talking about football. How do you feel about the stoppage time, a day later after the dust has settled a bit?

do you?

No. But then again I'm not on here bullshíttíng about it.

You are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Oh what a wonderful morning to be a united fan!

No. But then again I'm not on here bullshíttíng about it.

You are.

i joined a conversation that was already ongoing.

i was just singled out by you cause you have the hots for me. FAHCT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I love this talk of Owen's wages. Personally, he's earnt the transfer fee and wages for his year with that one finish for me anyway.

As for the time issue, to be honest, I just don't care. A win is a win.

i was just singled out by you cause you have the hots for me. FAHCT.

True.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Owen was on £110,000 basis at Newcastle.
    He's on £60,000 at United with bonuses for goals/games etc played.

I hate the fcuker though...he's a complete mercenary and I couldn't believe it when United signed him..poxy git :D ...bth he is a good signing if he can stay fit as he will score goals.

Berkut wrote: »
    Owen was on £110,000 basis at Newcastle.
    He's on £60,000 at United with bonuses for goals/games etc played.

Oh dear, Source?

As your the only City fan I know, and you can normally be fairly fair when talking about football. How do you feel about the stoppage time, a day later after the dust has settled a bit?

Same as yesterday really - the whistle should have gone as soon as Ireland headed the free kick away. Neither side should have been given the opportunity to launch another attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

PHB wrote: »
    Personally, he's earnt the transfer fee and wages for his year with that one finish for me anyway.

Wouldn't be too difficult to earn the transfer fee, we do know that was zero.

Even if Owen is on his Newcastle money, we can accept thats is because he is meeting certain clauses (i.e appearances/goals). Now Tevez by all accounts wanted more money than that, would have cost 25 million to sign, and would have moaned about being on the bench. So yeah there is a big difference between what we are paying for Owen, and what we would have had to pay for for Tevez.

Oh what a wonderful morning to be a united fan!

And it's reactions like the above that actually make it not a bad morning to be a City fan either. Yes we lost, but not too long ago the derby was a bit of a gimme for United but we went to OT, scored 3 goals and had the current champions feeling that they were in a genuine battle. The passion and emotion was unbelievable and it was one of the best games I've ever seen. We played our part and it's another sign that we're heading in the right direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

And it's reactions like the above that actually make it not a bad morning to be a City fan either. Yes we lost, but not too long ago the derby was a bit of a gimme for United but we went to OT, scored 3 goals and had the current champions feeling that they were in a genuine battle. The passion and emotion was unbelievable and it was one of the best games I've ever seen. We played our part and it's another sign that we're heading in the right direction.

Didn't you beat us at OT a couple of seasons back? Did the double over us recently enough too i think.

Not sure of the stats, but i've always worried about the City game, always seemed a much tougher game than it should have been on paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The Derby game was never a gimme for United.

City were hammered Xavi, the score line flattered them.

I wouldn't gauge where City are going my that match, it wasn't too long ago ye did the double.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Same as yesterday really - the whistle should have gone as soon as Ireland headed the free kick away. Neither side should have been given the opportunity to launch another attack.

Those were my thoughts as well. I couldn't believe the ref didn't blow it up then and there.

I'm not complaining though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Fair Point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

United were brilliant in the second half yesterday.
    Giggs, Fletcher and Anderson were all excellent.
    City impressed me at times. Their defence, however, is still a shambles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Scored three without Ade and without Robinho. The return game is going to be unbelievable. City really have spiced up the league this year.

I think getting rid of Dunne was a mistake though.

I don't buy this "City have proved they're not up to the same level" crap at all. Maybe they're not but you couldn't say that on yesterday's performance. Defensive indiscipline could still be resolved. To an extent yesterday confirmed to me that City are a genuine threat this season.

same could be said for United though.

Shocking defensive screwups for all 3 of City's goals as well. Had United performed to the normal level maybe none of those goals would have been scored - at least not Barry's or Bellamy's second.

I was more surprised that United found it so comparitively comfortable in midfield.

I was more surprised that United found it so comparitively comfortable in midfield.

Didn't surprise me at all as I said before the match when it was touted City had the better midfield.

I always always side with the players that have been there and done it, not with players that have the potential to do it.

• Advertisement

same could be said for United though.

Shocking defensive screwups for all 3 of City's goals as well. Had United performed to the normal level maybe none of those goals would have been scored - at least not Barry's or Bellamy's second.

Am I detecting a hint of confidence about our midfield Mitch?

as Killme pointed out, City were without arguably their best two players yesterday.

Am I detecting a hint of confidence about our midfield Mitch?

If the can keep performing like that i'll be happier about the situation. Still don't like seeing Park in the starting lineup though.

as Killme pointed out, City were without arguably their best two players yesterday.

United were without Scholes, VDS, Hargreaves.

Poor excuses Al.

wasn't an excuse, i was just pointing out why City fans should take something from yesterdays performance.

you seem to be of the Ferguson, quite embarrasing school of thought, "oh it could have been embarrasing, 6 or 7 nil to Utd"

Poor excuses Al.

Brown isn't fully fit either and Rio is only coming back from injuries himself (and was well below standard yesterday) I don't think VDS would have conceded the first or third goals.

Thank god I didn't get that keeper jersey with Foster on the back!! Though it would fit with my own performance yesterday...

• Advertisement

Didn't you beat us at OT a couple of seasons back? Did the double over us recently enough too i think.

Not sure of the stats, but i've always worried about the City game, always seemed a much tougher game than it should have been on paper.

We have had some good results, but not even the most diehard of City fan would claim to have been expecting to get something from the derby. I know that I was always chuffed with even a point.

Now I want to be winning derbies every time.
    Des wrote: »
    The Derby game was never a gimme for United.

I meant gimme in the sense that it was always seen as a match up United 'should' win. It's starting the get closer.
    City were hammered Xavi, the score line flattered them.

The difference is though, the City of old would have crumbled after going a goal down so early.

They also would have crumbled after conceding so early in the second half.

And also would have given up the ghost after conceding with ten minutes to go.

Yes we were dominated in the second half but we showed some great character to go down the other end and bag a goal every time, especially against the run of play. That's character I can't say has been associated with us for a long time.

Bottom line is that there's positives to take from yesterday and, while it's disappointing, we're certainly not overly down about it.

Poor excuses Al.

seriously?

VDS would have made a diff, i agree but Scholes and Heargreaves wouldnt have simply because Ando and Flethcer were great in mindfield.

Also to put them in the same bracket of importance to Utd as Ade and Robinho are for City is just plain silly.

wasn't an excuse, i was just pointing out why City fans should take something from yesterdays performance.

City were shíté Al.

Not hanging on to gifted goals is nothing to be proud of.

City never had problems of scoring, it was always defensely was the problem.

Same problem.

Killme00 wrote: »
    seriously?

VDS would have made a diff, i agree but Scholes and Heargreaves wouldnt have simply because Ando and Flethcer were great in mindfield.

Also to put them in the same bracket of importance to Utd as Ade and Robinho are for City is just plain silly.

lolz

Bellamy and Tevez were in for Ade and Robinho.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭goddevil

seriously?

Going by your logic then, Bellamy was brilliant yesterday and i'm pretty sure that Robinho wouldn't have done any better.. Your problems were in your defense and you were at your full strength there...

• Advertisement

lolz

Bellamy and Tevez were in for Ade and Robinho.

I see what you did there. You are correct of course.

I just think City have alot to give the league this year and will make a big difference to the top four finishing positions. Hopefully Ade and Robinho are injured or banned for the return game too, because City will (must) strenghten their defence in jan.

goddevil wrote: »
    Going by your logic then, Bellamy was brilliant yesterday and i'm pretty sure that Robinho wouldn't have done any better.. Your problems were in your defense and you were at your full strength there...

LOL, im not a City fan

I see what you did there. You are correct of course.

I just think City have alot to give the league this year and will make a big difference to the top four finishing positions. Hopefully Ade and Robinho are injured or banned for the return game too, because City will (must) strenghten their defence in jan.

Of course City have a lot to offer the league this year, if they didn't after spending that amount of money it would be farcical.

I stand by my point though, most of their signings have been the nearly men of the premier league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

LOL, im not a City fan

I'd imagine he was talking about United having a full strength defense and still conceding 3. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Positives:
    Fletcher was immense again. I think we're finally starting to see what Ferguson has been raving about since he was 17, this could be a career defining season for him and by anyones standards at the moment he's been fantastic.

Owen took his chance really well, that has to help with his confidence and hopefully he'll pick up a couple against Wolves during the week to bring him on again. The kids got potential :D

We played some lovely flowing football and there was a 15 minute stretch after half-time when we could have scored 4-5 goals.

Negatives:
    Personally I thought Anderson was very poor yesterday when United had the ball. His passing was completely off, on somewhere between a half dozen and a dozen times he misjudged his pass and left it a little short. He wasn't the only one by any means, but it really stuck out for me. He was great at hassling and harrying, but gave the ball away far too cheaply at times.

Our defence looked shaky. Ferdinand didn't look fit or comfortable at all, Foster cost us the usual goal per game that he can't seem to shake and O'Shea $hit himself every time somebody ran at him. We can't afford to ship goals like that for the rest of the season. I'm hoping it's just down to lack of game-time together this year but we need to tighten up.

Berbatov always tries the most difficult option. When he needs to slow down and take a touch he tries a first time ball, when we need pace he wants to hold the game up. He should have scored at least one of the headers he had but didn't. I'm still hoping he'll come good but he really needs to improve.

Overall I think we were good value for the win, but the fact that we were relying on an injury time 4th goal at home doesn't bode well. We played some great football at times and the endevour can't be questioned, but we have to cut out the sloppiness and general lack of concentration or we're going to get badly punished over the course of the season.

City kept battling and while United at times gave them hope, they deserve credit for creating chances and never giving up on it. I think they got nervy in the second half and we're hanging on a bit but Bellamy will cause defences problems all season and while their defence is ropey it's only to be expected with so many new players.

Give them this season to bed in and they'll be a major force towards the end of the year and cerrtainly with next season in mind.

Great game for the neutral, although I'm not sure I could take too many more of them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

I just checked that clip out on youtube, never even heard of that incident before. Neville really has no class at all.

BolBill wrote: »
    STUPID Question. He did that because hes Gary Neville, Worlds biggest dickhead. Want to see more of him, check him out on youtube when he wouldnt shake Scmichels hand in the tunnel when he came back with another team., The guy is a twat, alway has been always wil be.

I just checked that clip out on youtube, never even heard of that incident before. Neville really has no class at all.

Damn right he didn't shake it. Very rare you see opposing captains shaking hands in the tunnel before a match, I imagine its even rarer to see it on a derby day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

It's not like Neville is the only player to have ever down anything like that. Managers have done it too. I remember Mourinho doing it, could have been at Old Trafford as well (cant remember) and was it the Palace manager (a few year ago, fa cup I think) ran the whole length of the pitch to celebrate with the players after they scored (and he got in trouble with the f.a over it)

The thing about Neville is, he loves United, he loves everything United and this winds a lot of people up. I love it, it's great to see a player so passionate about the club.

edit : Indeed it was at Old Trafford, when Porto scored against United in the CL.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Speaking about no class, how about the City fans with their Munich chants yesterday? I seem to remember only two years ago or less when they were holding up banners for Frank Swift, and then looked for credit for staying silent during the minutes silence. Bunch of knobs the lot of them over in that corner yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Damn right he didn't shake it. Very rare you see opposing captains shaking hands in the tunnel before a match, I imagine its even rarer to see it on a derby day.

Really? I'm not having a pop, just saying in this day and age that seem's very backward, surely they are all grown up enough to shake hand's, especially 2 player's who spent so long in the same team.

• Advertisement
Advertisement