Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester united versus Manchester City sun 1.30pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

TonyD79 wrote: »
    As a united supporter it hurts when Liverpool beat us...its EMBARRASSING when city beat us.. If bolton get bought by the richest man in the world that fixture will suddenly become a big derby aswell. The Manchester derby would only become bigger than the pool-united game if pool go through a period of 20 years of stuggling + relegation and city start winning leage titles and european cups.

Do you actually understand local rivalry? I'm sure if you go to Manchester and ask them do they see the City derby to be as big as the Bolton game over the past 10 years (when City didn't have infinite funds) they'd actually laugh in your face. It's not only an insult to City, but also to United to even say something like that. Looking to wind people up I'm guessin? Good man yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

eZe^ wrote: »
    Do you actually understand local rivalry? I'm sure if you go to Manchester and ask them do they see the City derby to be as big as the Bolton game over the past 10 years (when City didn't have infinite funds) they'd actually laugh in your face. It's not only an insult to City, but also to United to even say something like that. Looking to wind people up I'm guessin? Good man yourself.

Obviously the actual derby rivalry is a real, live thing, but I think it's a little more muted, or less bitter, given the dominance of United. Maybe I'm wrong.

There is a real poison and recent bitter history between Liverpool and United. Far more even than I was a kid. You only have to look at some of the bitterness off and on the field in more recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

stovelid wrote: »
    Obviously the actual derby rivalry is a real, live thing, but I think it's a little more muted, or less bitter, given the dominance of United. Maybe I'm wrong.

There is a real poison and recent bitter history between Liverpool and United. Far more even than I was a kid. You only have to look at some of the bitterness off and on the field in more recent times.

Agree 100%

Well every city supporter I meet say their aint no manchester united supporters in manchester as their all from London etc. For most of these Man united supporters Liverpool is the real derby. There is also a big rivalry in Manchester towards Merseyside. I have family in Manchester some support city others united so I understand fully about the local rivalry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

tbh the result of this game is a coin toss, either team could win on the day.

Do you run a bookies? I wouldn't mind even odds on United if ya really see it as a coin toss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Well every city supporter I meet say their aint no manchester united supporters in manchester as their all from London etc..

Which we all know is untrue of course. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Agree 100%

Well every city supporter I meet say their aint no manchester united supporters in manchester as their all from London etc. For most of these Man united supporters Liverpool is the real derby. There is also a big rivalry in Manchester towards Merseyside. I have family in Manchester some support city others united so I understand fully about the local rivalry.

Bit of a self contradiction there.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

This is the derby game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭green123

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Do you run a bookies? I wouldn't mind even odds on United if ya really see it as a coin toss.

check back a few posts - i am first in line for that bet :D

of course he knows what he said was stupid and is now trying to back out.
    typical city fan - all talk
    it is obviously nowhere near a 50 - 50 coin toss and only a fool would say it is

baz2009 wrote: »
    Bit of a self contradiction there.:confused:

Not really. The first is a city fan's reality. The second is reality.

• Advertisement

Not really. The first is a city fan's reality. The second is reality.

and our bookie friend also has a problem with reality - looks like it is a common problem with city fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

As regards to whether United regard this is big as a Liverpool United game,I cant comment on the actual squad but for United and City fans alike this is one of the first fixtures they check for when they are released.It is a massvie game for the supporters and the atmosphere around Manchester is intense even hours before the game.And I could imagine its even moreso this season given the circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

I'm not your friend guy!

However, the point I was so poorly trying to make is this game is going to be a lot closer than any utd fan will care to admit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

In Ireland, for Irish fans, the Liverpool game is bigger.

For people who live and work in the actual city, it's the city game.

Simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Fancy utd for this one!

But the match should be a cracker

Des wrote: »

Simple.

Not so simple I'm afraid. City is the big game when your an irish fan who's old man is a City supporter all too keen to never let you forget a City win. Even more so after last year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

complicated slightly by the fact Liverpool is only 30m down the road too.

I'm not your friend guy!

no, you are not, and you are obviously not a bookie either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

green123 wrote: »
    and our bookie friend also has a problem with reality - looks like it is a common problem with city fans

The reality is that City unlike Utd so far have not dropped any points and are looking for this not to change tomorrow.
    To city fans the utd game is a big deal and always will be as they have been overshadowed for many years by their Utd counterparts.......

City are doing extremely well and obviously would love to stick it to Utd tomorrow and continue on their 100% unbeaten run.....

That in my opinion is the reality and I hope to hell that we don't slip up as Adebayor won't be on the pitch.....Him being our "star player" and all:D

Most city fans, myself included would admit to being as nervous about the game tomorrow as we were facing the game last week against Arsenal. I thought we sent out a solid message with our emphatic win over Arsenal and hope that we can do the same against Utd tomorrow:).

That said obviously we want to beat everyone but beating Utd is always that little bit sweeter being a local derby, well, what we normal folks would consider a local derby.....
    Then again, all teams up and down the league love to beat Utd:p

another one arguing :rolleyes:
    the reality is utd are big favourites for the game
    city are underdogs
    it is nowhere near a coin toss
    end of story
    why are people still trying to argue with the facts ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Can't wait for this game now. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I think this game is going to be a lot closer than people are predicting... I reckon it could be a draw or city could scrap it... They are playing nice, flowing football and are creating lots of chances... This is from an unbiased source who supports neither club...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Wow excitement is building for this epic game Super Sunday clash of the Mancunian titans, the game which will literally move one club 3 points higher up in the table! Follow the action EXCLUSIVELY live on Sky Sports, view the breathtaking pulsating runs of John O Shea in high definition, watch the rhythmical chews of Sir Alex Ferguson or the veins on Hughes temples inflate as Richards gets caught out of position.

I CAN'T WAIT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Smegball wrote: »
    Wow excitement is building for this epic game Super Sunday clash of the Mancunian titans, the game which will literally move one club 3 points higher up in the table! Follow the action EXCLUSIVELY live on Sky Sports, view the breathtaking pulsating runs of John O Shea in high definition, watch the rhythmical chews of Sir Alex Ferguson or the veins on Hughes temples inflate as Richards gets caught out of position.

I CAN'T WAIT!!!

Drawing is not an option for either side, i like :D

Jackobyte wrote: »
    I think this game is going to be a lot closer than people are predicting... I reckon it could be a draw or city could scrap it... They are playing nice, flowing football and are creating lots of chances... This is from an unbiased source who supports neither club...

i hope that comment wasnt aimed at me.
    i am not predicting a walkover for utd, i am just saying it is nowhere near a coin toss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I am really looking forward to this game, I think it will be quite close and Man Utd to win 2-1.

I think this thread definitely shows the nervousness about the Utd fans which has even affected SAF....Even when City didn't have money, Utd like to beat City
    City fans can admit to being on edge for this game as the Utd game is a big deal to them whereas most Utd fans apparently don't see the City game as a big deal and as such have to keep up the pretence....

Obviously as a City fan, I hope we do win but you never know against Utd......
    Just hope we can do a Burnley on it:D (calm down, It's a joke, sort of)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

City 5/1 for the win today, surely way overpriced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

flahavaj wrote: »

is Instant Karma giving those odds ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I would lump on at that price, great value (note that I think Utd are likely to win, but not the 80%+ of the time it would take for that price to be bad value).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Well every city supporter I meet say their aint no manchester united supporters in manchester as their all from London etc.
    stovelid wrote: »
    Which we all know is untrue of course. :)
    Aw weird! I was only talking to someone about that very thing the other night - he was saying the popular consensus is that if you're actually from Manchester, you'd only support City... which is bollocks, he added.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

This is going to be some match and United will win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I would lump on at that price, great value (note that I think Utd are likely to win, but not the 80%+ of the time it would take for that price to be bad value).

Agreed. Mad to think they'd give such long odds on a team with a 100% record and especially a derby where things are always closer than normal.

Edit: Gone out to 6/1 on Betfair now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

I think this thread definitely shows the nervousness about the Utd fans which has even affected SAF....Even when City didn't have money, Utd like to beat City
    City fans can admit to being on edge for this game as the Utd game is a big deal to them whereas most Utd fans apparently don't see the City game as a big deal and as such have to keep up the pretence....

Well im a united fan and let me tell you im not nervous, in fact im looking forward to it because i think we are going to whip ye off the park, a right hammering ,4-0 I would say.

The last time I was nervous for a game was for the barca final because I felt we would lose that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Think it will be a hard game ,
    However hoping we send City back too where they belong and shatter their wild far fetched dreams of domestic glory :pac::D
    So thinking 2-1 hoping 3/4-0 :D

Im loving this!! How does thread show we are nervous? examples would be lovely!

Dudess wrote: »
    Aw weird! I was only talking to someone about that very thing the other night - he was saying the popular consensus is that if you're actually from Manchester, you'd only support City... which is bollocks, he added.

Women aren't allowed in the soccer forum :eek:

Agreed. Mad to think they'd give such long odds on a team with a 100% record and especially a derby where things are always closer than normal.

Edit: Gone out to 6/1 on Betfair now!

accurate prices because city are not vey good, and that is obvious to most people

Heading off out to watch the match

Don't mind admitting that I'm as nervous as hell:D

To the victor the spoils (3 points), whoever that may be

Please god let it be city as these lot's heads are ready to burst............only game I was nervous for was the Barca game, HaHa:D:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Should be an interesting game

3-1 City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Des wrote: »

Simple.

Every supporter has different sets of hatreds.

Personally for me, it goes, City, Leeds then Liverpool. I'd feel absolutely disgusted losing to City or Leeds, but Liverpool, its kinda bleh. It's more 3 points dropped than anything, as I get pretty pissed off about that. Now Liverpool fans make it worse, but City and Leeds are the teams I can't stand losing to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

green123 wrote: »
    accurate prices because city are not vey good, and that is obvious to most people

wow, lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

From Henry Winter, via his twitter page
    Whisper from dressing-rooms that Tevez starts. Boost for City but a gamble. Adrenalin will keep him going but his knee will take a pounding.

http://twitter.com/henrywinter/status/4122097170

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    From Henry Winter, via his twitter page

http://twitter.com/henrywinter/status/4122097170

vidic is going to kill ya :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Women aren't allowed in the soccer forum :eek:
    Pffft... I didn't even know this forum existed - just saw this thread on the home page. :pac:

No, I'm looking forward to this game - I actually have a tiny little bit of an interest in soccer and should post here more often. :)

As for what team to back today: I grew up in a Man U-crazed house but I'm not bothered either way. Fence-sitting, as ever... :D

Foster
    O'Shea
    VIdic
    Ferdinand
    Evra
    Fletcher
    Anderson
    Giggs
    Park
    Rooney
    Berba

Happy with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Tevez starting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Tevez starting.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

Tevez starting. Good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Tevez starts? Nice one. Wonder what reception he'll get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

happy with that team kinda. I think we'll lack width, but we'll do well in the middle. Will need Park and Giggs to try stay wide as much as possible. [Unless Ando plays on the left]

• Advertisement
Advertisement