Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Badger Brush recommendation

• 16-09-2009 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

I've noticed hairs starting to come out of my shaving brush, and feel that I may need to purchase shortly. I see on ebay that you can pick up super badger brushes for around 50 eur (Bonds of Oxford St). Is there anything else around the 50 mark that you would recommend?

Many Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

If I had to limit myself to just one brush it'd be the Semogue 2015 HD

Google Semogue 2015 and review and you'll see why ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

Cool, I haven't come across that brand before. Agoogling I shall go.

Thanks dude!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Spudzz

If I had to limit myself to just one brush it'd be the Semogue 2015 HD

Google Semogue 2015 and review and you'll see why ;)

Just ordered the Semogue 2015HD will let you know how I get on.:D

Spudzz wrote: »

Do keep us posted on how you find it. Give it a wash with some shampoo when you get it, it'll help get rid of the badger smell when new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

..and if you intend to use a puck of soap in a mug, or just a shaving soap in general, a Boar brush works well with a shaving soap.

The Semogue 2000 on Vintage Scents:

http://vintagescent.com/shaving-brushes-c-5/semogue-2000-shaving-brush-p-24

..or more local, Shaving have the Omega range:

http://www.shaving.ie/products/Omega-Shaving-Brush-20102.html

I've jumped to a Boar brush for a puck of Williams I'm working through. The Boar makes light work of building up a lather, compared to the softer Badger.

Each type of brush have their particular strenghts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

Just ordered it myself there now...was in the market for a new brush. Where is the Vintage Scent shop located? Is it an Irish oufit?

Will let you all know how I get on with it too.

coolmoose wrote: »
    Just ordered it myself there now...was in the market for a new brush. Where is the Vintage Scent shop located? Is it an Irish oufit?

Will let you all know how I get on with it too.

It's based in Portugal, you'll find the owner (Leon) on B&B and the usual fora.
    Delivery takes around a week.

Just an update on my order.Still waiting for my Semogue 2015HD from Vintage Scent.
    Has now been almost a week since I placed my order,and according to there website my order is still being "PROCESSED":confused:
    Has anyone else purchased from this company,and if so how long were you waiting for you order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭12bore

Ordered a couple of brushes and a La Toja stick off them a few weeks ago, took about 10 days for package to arrive.
    My order also said processing for ages, I emailed them and they said they were too busy to update the status of the order, but that it had been posted a few days beforehand.

Just an update on my order.Still waiting for my Semogue 2015HD from Vintage Scent.
    Has now been almost a week since I placed my order,and according to there website my order is still being "PROCESSED":confused:
    Has anyone else purchased from this company,and if so how long were you waiting for you order.
    An update on the update !!
    Just received an E Mail from Vintage Scent apologizing for the delay in updating the status of my order ,from precessing to shipped ,it seems it was shipped last Tuesday:D so we wait and see.

• Advertisement

Looking forward to hear how you get on with it!

12bore wrote: »
    Ordered a couple of brushes and a La Toja stick off them a few weeks ago, took about 10 days for package to arrive.

What did you go for, 12bore, anything nice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭12bore

I got a 2000 and a 1305, both boar bristle. Having fun making lather.
    The only other brush I have is a Vulfix #1 boar, found in a local chemist after a bit of hunting.

I am very new to DE shaving (started about 3 weeks ago), so can't give you any meaningful insight. But they look good, and seem to lather better than the Vulfix. People rave about them on the various shaving forums, and they are not very expensive.

12bore wrote: »
    I got a 2000 and a 1305, both boar bristle. Having fun making lather.
    The only other brush I have is a Vulfix #1 boar, found in a local chemist after a bit of hunting.

I am very new to DE shaving (started about 3 weeks ago), so can't give you any meaningful insight. But they look good, and seem to lather better than the Vulfix. People rave about them on the various shaving forums, and they are not very expensive.

3 weeks
    3 brushes
    I like your style sir :D

It is surprising more traders don't stock Semogue merchandise. I love their aesthetic, even their cheap brushes look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

Amalgam wrote: »
    It is surprising more traders don't stock Semogue merchandise. I love their aesthetic, even their cheap brushes look good.
    It is a distribution issue. You will see this change soon from what I gather. There is something about the 1305 that I really like the look of plus from all accounts so far these seem to be top quality boar brushes also. Im looking forward to trying some out.

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    It is a distribution issue. You will see this change soon from what I gather. There is something about the 1305 that I really like the look of plus from all accounts so far these seem to be top quality boar brushes also. Im looking forward to trying some out.

Well well..

http://www.shaving.ie/products/Semogue-1305-Shaving-Brush.html

Will you widen the choice, or just test the waters with that one?

Well well..

http://www.shaving.ie/products/Semogue-1305-Shaving-Brush.html

Will you widen the choice, or just test the waters with that one?
    :)
    Initially the 3 boar types but in the comming weeks the entire range. I have not tried out a Semogue as of yet but its about time I found a worthy replacement for my trusty Omega 48.

:)
    Initially the 3 boar types.

Will that include the blonde boar Semogue 2000. That type soften up nicely after some use.

semogue2000.jpg

Will that include the blonde boar Semogue 2000. That type soften up nicely after some use.

semogue2000.jpg

Yes. The 1520, 1305, 2000 and 620 should arrive this week I hope.

• Advertisement

Yes. The 1520, 1305, 2000 and 620 should arrive this week I hope.

If there's room for a 730 HD in your next shipment, I'll have to order ;)
    (730 HD, silvertip, higher density knot, Acrylic handle, top half in black, transparent lower half)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

An update on the update !!
    Just received an E Mail from Vintage Scent apologizing for the delay in updating the status of my order ,from precessing to shipped ,it seems it was shipped last Tuesday:D so we wait and see.

Any sign of your gear. Ordered on the 18th but nought so far

Semogue brush prices seem to be on the rise..

http://vintagescent.com/shaving-brushes-c-5

This was in a Vintage Scent newsletter this morning:

The Semogue brand is quickly spreading around the world. To make competition
    easier among resellers and to make Semogue brushes available in several
    places of the world, the Semogue company agreed to have their price reviewed
    and set a new suggested retail price.

:(

Semogue brush prices seem to be on the rise..

http://vintagescent.com/shaving-brushes-c-5

This was in a Vintage Scent newsletter this morning:

:(

Any opinions on this? Especially from those who already own a Semogue. Do you think they are worth it at these latest prices. It is quite a hike in price for some of them.

The psychological barrier for me is 55-60 euro, at that point my mind starts drifting towards Shavemac buying scenarios.. The Semogue high density (HD) brushes are gorgeous mind you. I'd still buy a 2000 at the revised price, but it is just about the limit, for boar.

Got to agree with Amalgam, one of the attractions with Semogue
    was that you were getting a great quality brush without paying
    the premium associated with paying extra for the 'known names'.

I'm still interested in adding another Semogue silvertip to the stable
    and I was planning on picking up a half dozen of their boars as
    Christmas gifts. I've had a crazy day in work so haven't had a chance
    to compare the new prices of the Semogue boars to the Omega equivalents
    but with the weak dollar and sterling I might be looking at different options
    - especially as I'm looking for the rare Simpson 2 band badger.

I rate the Semogue 2000 as better than my Omega 48 but a price
    rise on it from €11.95 to €17.95 needs looking at.

Damn, I didn't go for the 2015HD like Gran Hermano suggested at the time. Ah well, that's what I get for procrastinating. :)

I would pay 50 eur for a good brush, but then I'd be buying it to use as a daily tool. I don't think I would fork out that amount to add it to a collection, which gets used on a rotational basis.

bothyhead wrote: »
    Damn, I didn't go for the 2015HD like Gran Hermano suggested at the time. Ah well, that's what I get for procrastinating. :)

I would pay 50 eur for a good brush, but then I'd be buying it to use as a daily tool. I don't think I would fork out that amount to add it to a collection, which gets used on a rotational basis.

I managed to find the email confirmation for the order I placed in April for the 2015HD, I paid €39.95 for them compared to the current €55.95.

I still think the 2015HD is worth the new price, just not as much of a 'steal' as it was.

It's on the boar brushes that I'm finding the price rises harder to justify. They are now 1/3 more expensive than the Omega equivalents. Might be time to look at another niche boar player, Jaguar from Turkey. Maybe I just need to stop thinking boar brushes are cheap and cheerful and should cost around a tenner - even if they are Semogues :D

Some of the different Jaguar brushes51ePUiofWVL._SS400_.jpg

• Advertisement

Ali's on Aungier Street have Jaguar on display, let me dig out a picture.. I have no idea if they sell the brushes or not, the man is of Turkish origin. His Father was a barber (retired), based in Germany I think.

shavingap09image076.jpg

The picture was taken back in April 2009.

Here's the Amazon.com Derby International Storefront.

http://www.amazon.com/shops/AAEAL4S4CJG99

Nice post Gran Hermano. Boar Season.. :D

Advertisement