Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Badger Brush recommendation

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I received an order from Chris @ http://www.shaving.ie/ this morning. I finally got around to buying a Semogue 2000 Boar shaving brush.

The tips are softer than you would think, they taper off instead of being 'cut' sharp, certainly feel smoother and less prickly, than say, a new budget best\mixed badger brush.

For some reason, the brush seems to have more bulk on the photos online, when it is sitting in front of you, it does not come across as bulky at all, well proportioned, to nestle between forefinger and thumb. 'Dinky' could be a word to use.

Nice grain and a hefty varnish. Packaging is minimal, as you can see below.

semogue2000boxed.jpg

Some sense of scale, using a 1 euro coin.

semogue2000euro.jpg

Pleased with the purchase, I'm well familiar with this type of brush, as I have my grandfather's brush with identical hair and loft, but unfortunately it is shedding, due to its age. The Semogue will be used as the other brush goes into retirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Amalgam wrote: »

Theres no chance of getting a fake if you purchase directly from the shavemac website, they make an EXCELLENT brush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

looking to spend about€50 on a new brush, ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

tinner777 wrote: »
    looking to spend about50 on a new brush, ideas?

What have you got already?
    Are you planning on using soaps or creams or both?

am using this at the mo,

Pure Badger Shaving Brush

d458728df96031c358e8aba21ec95d53.jpg

Quality hand turned handle will add elegance to your bathroom!
    View Product
    £16.99

use creams more than soaps

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm using this since January
    019ad3fb2541443e3b0e843a74774200.jpg
    costs £43

I bought this this week
    semogue-620.jpg
    costs 16e

I've yet to try it :)

Video link taken from B&B. Footage includes coverage of the Semogue factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

tinner777 wrote: »

I have not tried it myself but I have had very positive feedback on the 626 which is a little higher in the range.

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    I have not tried it myself but I have had very positive feedback on the 626 which is a little higher in the range.

when will you have it in stock?

• Advertisement

smgsbboarle2lrg.jpg

---

http://vintagescent.com/shaving-brushes-c-5/excelsior-boar-limited-edition-2009-p-75

---

Vintage Scent are selling a limited run (100) Semogue Boar Brush. Very nice handle, not that keen on the two tone boar hair, it has to be said, I like them blonde.

sdc11187b.jpg

Seems like an offspring of the Semogue 2000 (left) and the Semogue 2010 (right).

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭seosamh

This brush might suit if you or someone special is feeling quite generous this Christmas!

P955059.20

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Badger & Blade have these brushes on sale for the next 3 weeks

displayimage.php?imageid=18971

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Cabaal wrote: »
    Badger & Blade have these brushes on sale for the next 3 weeks

Yea - but $165 plus VAT/duty probably(unless you get lucky),bit too rich for me I think :(

Seven Worlds will Collide

I too was tempted by the B&B LE brush, but as CH said above the price is a tad high
    US Price already includes Customs/duty because they're imported into the US but
    you can be sure UPS will come knocking looking for their fee and customs
    when it arrives here in Ireland.

My next brush for 'mad money' will be a Simpsons 2 band and I'll try and source one in Europe to avoid customs charges. Until then I'm looking forward to the LE Semogie boar - not that I really need another!

..bit too rich for me I think :(

Too right, you're at the price of 2x Shavemacs, if not more, after everything is dealt with, sod that.

Was anyone tempted by the 1,500 euro Plisson brush in my previous post. Makes everything else look like a bargain!

seosamh wrote: »
    Was anyone tempted by the 1,500 euro Plisson brush in my previous post. Makes everything else look like a bargain!

..err.. the size 20 Plisson is too big...anyway..
    It's bad enough having to accept badgers being killed for shaving brushes without adding elephants too.

It's bad enough having to accept badgers being killed for shaving brushes without adding elephants too.

agreed, the mrs was none too happy when I told her my shaving brush was made from badger hair and to be honest thats understandable....a part of me ain't too happy about it either.

Yea - but $165 plus VAT/duty probably(unless you get lucky),bit too rich for me I think :(

Works out about 104e if you factor $30 shipping and you don't get hit for customs, its alot of money and I think I'd rather go for something like this first...unless somebody can recommend something better?

kent-bk4-silvertip-shaving-brush.jpg

• Advertisement

What's that Cabaal a BK4 ?

If you're looking for a great all rounder for creams and soaps,I'd recommend a Simpson PJ2
    (About 65 sterling in best badger)

It's probably my favourite

What's that Cabaal a BK4 ?

If you're looking for a great all rounder for creams and soaps,I'd recommend a Simpson PJ2
    (About 65 sterling in best badger)

It's probably my favourite

It is alright,

PJ2 seems pretty good and decent enough price, when I started shaving I started with soap and it was a disaster so I switched to creams and have been using them up until last month when I tried soap again.

I now find I'm getting better shaves with soap then cream so was worth switching back, :)

PJ2 seems a pretty decent sized brush
    displayimage.php?imageid=14327

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

I bought a Taylor of Old Bond Street (Jermyn St) in London for £17.95.

PJ2 seems a pretty decent sized brush

Here's a bad snap of mine,a Nokia 6300(same height),11C and a Kent BK2 beside it for scale

DSC_2965%20m.jpg

agreed, the mrs was none too happy when I told her my shaving brush was made from badger hair and to be honest thats understandable....a part of me ain't too happy about it either.

Yes, in fairness it does give me pause for thought, how badger hair is sourced. However when I was in the Body Shop recently I mischievously asked the question 'so this brush is synthetic then?'. You can imagine the response. But when you see on e-bay that silver-tipped badger brushes available for about 15 euro from China you know the care of the poor badger is not a factor in the price.

Anyway I ordered a Kent BK4 a few days ago and hopefully this will limit my badger 'footprint' for quite a while.

Bruno at vintagescent.com has lined up a Semogue brush based on the 100 limited run released in 2009.

smgsoclrg.jpg

http://vintagescent.com/shaving-brushes-c-5/semogue-owners-club-brush-p-99

The blonde boar Semogue brushes are a deceptive lot, rough to the eye, but soft like velvet at the tips, once wet, with more backbone than a badger brush.

Lovely handle on this brush.

The last Semogue LE is a beautiful brush and a great performer. The varnish on it is an improvement over the other wooden handled Semogues I bought prior to it and it protects the wood better against ships/scratches.

Whilst I have no need for another Semogue boar, I'm seriously tempted to add this to the collection! (Think I prefer the darker wooden handle of the last LE though).

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Guramoogah

Does anyone know of an Irish or UK seller of Rooney brushes? I'm interested in buying a Rooney Style 2 (the 'persian jar' shape) in Finest Badger but the seller on Amazon UK only does that brush in Best or Silver Tip.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I've been meaning to follow up on this for a while. According to Wikipedia, that most reputable of sources, badgers are so plentiful in parts of China that the government licenses village co-ops to shoot them, because they damage crops. It's these badgers that provide the hair for shaving brushes.

• Advertisement

I don't mean to go all Peta on the thread, but I remember seeing something on Channel 4 about them being 'farmed', it didn't look pretty..

Advertisement